• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Like to See a 3D-style Pokemon?

Would you like to see a 3D Pokemon?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I don't care

• Total voters

You-Know-Who

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
In hiding... waiting to kill Harry Potter....
Well, I would LOVE it! A game where you can move your Pokemon around in battle, and the A B X Y buttons could be the 4 attacks, L R dodging/jumping, and speed and accuracy are used to the extreme.
Next year is the 15th anniversary of Pokemon. It took 2 years to make B/W 2 when it normally takes 1, especially in the same region. I think Nintendo is working on a surprise game to celebrate.

The likes of Pokemon Colosseum, yes. I'd like to go back to the days of battling in a tournament setting - selecting the right Pokemon, entering a league, etc. And with all the new additions since the last 3D installment, a hypothetical new title has a lot of potential. Speaking of which, I wonder how said additions - including forme changes and Pokemon contests - would be handled in a new installment. Ahh, kinda makes me want a new 3D title even more.

Another thing that I'd like to see is a new Pokemon Snap game. It'd essentially be the same as the old one, but differrent in many ways. In a hypothetical new installment, there would be tons more Pokemon, many new places, and a crapton of new items. In addition, there would more than likely be a new main protagonist - perhaps a gender option. If not, then there would certainly be a newly, upgraded version of Todd Snap.

Dan

I've never played any of the 3D titles. I interpreted this thread was going to be about the next main series pokemon going 3D, which I wouldn't really care for.
So I guess my answer as "I don't care" still applies. :P

Since Pokédex 3D has provided models for all existing Pokémon, I hope Game Freak develop from that and make a proper 3D adventure, I would be very satisfied with a third entry to the Shadow Pokémon Series. I'm not sure about mainstream games, I guess it would be a good idea.

Yes, I'd like to see a 3D Pokémon game on a Nintendo handheld. The series has long been panned as conservative and stale, with the Nintendo 3DS it's the perfect time to spice things up. It's the next logical move especially with 3D Pokémon character models already created for Pokédex 3D. The technology is there and in retrospect every leap to the third dimension by Nintendo has been met with unparalleled acclaim; Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, Donkey Kong 64, and Metroid Prime come to mind.

Personally I'd like to see the gym and Colosseum structures of previous installments operate in tandem. Personally this would add longevity to the experience for there would be two primary goals to achieve in addition to stopping the usual team of goons. The key is to leave exploration to the players which I thought the console installment did a poor job of. Mesh the open world of the current five handheld generations with graphics on par or better than Battle Revolution as well as incorporate stellar online and an instant successful reboot is created.

RHhylian

Guru-Guru's strange son
Yes, the battle animations and battles in general seemed quite epic in the GCN games. But I think they need to change a lot of these games in order to make an awesome 3D Pokémon game. Imo, they need to:
- Make the battles Single Battles, NOT Double Battles. They become repititive and tedious after a while. Double Battles can happen occasionally, though.
- Use the old 'catch Pokémon in wild grass' method', NOT snag them from trainers. And get rid of Shadow Pokémon. This way, there can be a lot more Pokémon to choose from and you don't have to deal with the annoying purifying mechanic.
-Let us travel from place to place on foot, not by 'teleporting' from city to city with a vehicle.

So, summarized, I just want the next 3D Pokémon game be like the handhelds, not like the GCN ones.

I haven't played Colosseum or Gale of Darkness, so I can't speak for them. I do know both games received mixed reviews from critics, so I'm not sure how eager we should be to return to their style. It could work, but I don't have enough information to go off of.

But I think the mainstream Pokemon games are long-due for a transition to 3D. They've already taken the first steps, with 3D overworlds and cutscenes in the most recent installments. It now appears to be sheer laziness that character sprites and battle animations are still purely in 2D, and I think it has a lot to do with how the series is perceived as growing stale.

The 3DS and Wii U are very powerful in terms of graphics. It's a little iffy for Pokemon games to become totally realistic, but the Wii U at least would highlight the smallest details in Pokemon and bring them to life more. We've explored 2D far more than most of us care for. We have much to gain with the move to 3D.

Ideally, the gameplay would change in addition to the graphics so that it's not just the same old Pokemon, but in 3D. There are many ways it could happen (specifically dropping random encounters in some way), but Pokemon really needs a change in gameplay style more than it does a change in graphics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom