• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would you like BotW sequels for the next handful of 3D Zelda games?

As well as the rumour of Link's Reawakening doing the rounds we also have another about BotW.

The rumour has made mention of a very BotW-like project in 2020.

Now, it's probably safe to assume the new game will use assets and the same engine because why not.

But the wording of the rumour triggered a thought. The rumour said that if fans enjoyed BotW then they should look forward to 2020.

What if Zelda Switch doesn't move too far away from BotW?

What if for the next few 3D games Aonuma and co stick around the BotW setting?

There is more than enough mentioned in BotW like the Sheikah advanced Hyrule and the first appearance of Calamity Ganon.

They may not even go that different and use BotW's overworld but with villages and Castle Town still in tact...

So, would you like for Aonuma to stick around the BotW lore and world or do you want the next 3D Zelda to be far away from what BotW established?

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Now, it's probably safe to assume tbe new game will use assets and the same engone because why not.

Because Nintendo likes to pointlessly complicate things. I'm not trying to be a pessimist, but they do. Especially with Zelda.

What if Zelda Switch doesn't move too far away from BotW?

According to Aonuma, it won't. I have no reason to think it will. BOTW got the sales, Aonuma has clearly wanted to do away with the traditional formula for a long time, and there's no reason why they would go back unless people end up leaving the series in the long term.

So, would you like for Aonuma to stick around the BotW lore and world or do you want the next 3D Zelda to be far away from what BotW established?

Move away. Move away from SS's lore, go back to a medieval setting, and...just do anything else. BOTW's story didn't leave us with much potential and if it were a reboot, I wouldn't be so annoyed, but it tries to stick to the timeline while giving us this insane convoluted mess that just doesn't make sense (i.e. Rito and Zora co-existing).

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
They are definitely going to use the same gameplay formula as BotW and maybe even the same engine for Zelda Switch.

If they do make it a sequel story-wise, I would not like them to set it in Hyrule. I think that they should just make another parallel for the game's setting like all of the other direct Zelda sequels (sans Zelda II).

Stormageden747

Zofian General
Absolutely not! The 3DS needs to die at this point. Plus a major thing that made BotW what it is was the graphics, and the 3DS could not handle those graphics. The only 3DS Zelda game I would be okay with is Zelda Pinball or something no one cares about. Nintendo needs to kill the 3DS off before Q3 of 2020.

Edit: I read the title wrong. I thought it said 3DS Zelda games. Whoops. I guess the mods can delete it if they want so yeet

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Well they left a lot of room for building on BoTW and even the ending would allow a sequel relatively easily the only issue is them bollocking it up a 2nd time by shoving in 1000 odd collectibles that have no real point

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
I think that would be great! I love BOTW, there are some minor issues that would need fixing but the general idea sounds lovely. I mostly hope they do away with the shrines and come up with some better dungeons. The shrines weren’t enjoyable whatsoever. The open world is gorgeous but it would need to be a bit less empty as well. Those are my main concerns, other than smaller annoyances such as how awful Link’s stamina is, etc.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I think that would be great! I love BOTW, there are some minor issues that would need fixing but the general idea sounds lovely. I mostly hope they do away with the shrines and come up with some better dungeons. The shrines weren’t enjoyable whatsoever. The open world is gorgeous but it would need to be a bit less empty as well. Those are my main concerns, other than smaller annoyances such as how awful Link’s stamina is, etc.

Content is legit the biggest concern i have, i feel like if we do have sequels they either need to fill out the world far far more, if we're gonna have 1000 odd collectibles they should be noteworthy, they've shown they can do landmarks (albeit boring as crap ones) so maybe they should make notable structures to collect

By ''sequel'', do you mean gameplay wise(aka a spiritual sequel), or storywise? I'm down for either, since I really loved BotW, but I kind of hope to see some more HC-esque dungeons, as well as a direct BotW prequel at some point that has the same Link 100 years prior to BotW, maybe going into detail about how he got his hands on the MS.

MW7

Honestly with the level of polish in the gameplay and the quality of graphics, I'd be fine with them recycling large amounts of the engine and stuff like that for several new releases. I get that lots of people appreciate the graphics, but personally every graphical advance since Twilight Princess is virtually imperceptible to me, and I think they could release games a lot faster if they just reused character models and game engines more often like Majora's Mask.

Yeah, the wording of the rumor is really vague, to the point that some people were speculating that it could be another BotW DLC (which is possible, but I doubt it). Personally, I just take it to mean that another open-air Zelda is in the works.

While it would be interesting to see BotW's Hyrule in all its former glory (prequel), or in the process of being restored (sequel), I don't see Nintendo going either way with a new game. In either case the overworld would be far more similar to BotW's than it would be different, which takes most of the fun out of exploring as you already know where everything is. I think the next Zelda game will take place outside of Hyrule which would allow for fresh environments to explore. It's possible that the game could feature the same Link though, maybe going on adventure in another land following the trend of OoT --> MM (Termina) or aLttP --> LA (Kohilint). That's the closest to a BotW sequel that I think we are likely to get.

Last edited:

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
if theres a better story and no picking 50000 things that have a rubbish reward ...

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Ok so the thing is about having a BotW 2 is that, knowing the big N, they are either going to play it incredibly safe, or incredibly risky. There is no in between. If I were to guess, however, I would say they are going to play it risky. For evidence of this, let’s take a look at previous titles.

LttP- did incredibly well, so they follow up with LA, not exactly the riskiest thing they could’ve done but seeing that how this was (at the time) the only game in the series to not have Zelda, the triforce, or Ganon in it, I would call it fairly out there.

OoT- sold amazingly, so they follow up with MM, easily the most unique game in the series.

TP- also sold incredibly well, so they follow up with SS, which is a fairly different game compared to others in the series.

LBW- sold very well, so they made TFH a very non-Zelda Zelda game.

Now let’s take a look at the other side

WW- if we are talking initial sales, which so many people on this site love to do, this game sold pretty poorly, so what to they do? They follow it up with an incredibly generic zelda game (not that that’s a bad thing), TP.

SS- this game also didn’t sell too well, and Nintendo’s response? A full 180 and making the exact opposite, exactly what people expected

My point is that when a game does well, Nintendo tries to push their luck and make and make a much more ambitious game, when that game inevitably flops, at least in comparison to their predisors, Nintendo goes into damage control mode and makes a game as safe as possible. Since BotW sold outstandingly, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a really left-field mechanic in the next game. I hope they do because I personally believe that their best work comes from it.

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
My point is that when a game does well, Nintendo tries to push their luck and make and make a much more ambitious game, when that game inevitably flops, at least in comparison to their predisors, Nintendo goes into damage control mode and makes a game as safe as possible. Since BotW sold outstandingly, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a really left-field mechanic in the next game. I hope they do because I personally believe that their best work comes from it.

Um, basically all of BotW was incredibly left-field, and arguably the riskiest and most drastic change thus far. I expect the new game to be really similar to BotW.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be at all opposed to another game using BotW's engine, it would be ******** to just pitch it after making us wait since SS for a main-console game. I liked most of BotW's mechanics, my biggest issue was that it seemed like a bare-bones template. There was a big world, but not much of anything unique to fill it with. I'd love it if they reused much of BotW, but gave us a real story and meaningful content. Move away from the current state of Hyrule and go further back in time, I don't want to see a prequel or sequel of the BotW world, I feel like either one would be really hollow or gimmicky.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Um, basically all of BotW was incredibly left-field, and arguably the riskiest and most drastic change thus far. I expect the new game to be really similar to BotW

I think it was quite safe considering they were doing everything humanly possible to make things exactly how people wanted it, not to mention that they were following a trend to a T. Sure it might not be a standard Zelda game, but it is an incredibly generic open world game, and I think they were trying to play it safe with their open world outing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom