• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would you like a Zelda with alternate endings?

Within the lore Ocarina of Time has three different outcomes but there is only one ending in the game.

BotW has different ending but they're superficial based on completion.

But what about a Zelda with actual alternate endings?

Would you like to play through the game (or at least the final part) differently to achieve different endings or would you like Zelda to just keep to having one ending?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Main draw for me with games such as Bloodborne and Sekiro is the fact you do have different outcomes depending on what you do ingame and i think in terms of zelda it could work really well and possibly help map out the series a bit more, give nintendo jumping off points instead of having a single ending and it's final. Nintendo sucks at endings as it is so maybe they need to take tips from Dark Souls or Sekiro

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
So, as an example, play through the game this way and kill Ganon: ending one; alternatively, take a different route through the game that results in Ganon getting imprisoned, planting the seeds for his return in a later game: ending two.

I like the idea, but it would have to be done well and done believably for me to enjoy it. BotW, while it has different endings depending on how many memories you collect, the outcome is the same; Ganon is killed and the calamity is over. I think a game with true alternate endings based on your decisions in the game would be a neat idea, but I can definitely foresee Nintendo doing a bad job of it.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
No I don't like the thought of alternative endings unless they will do an offshoot game of each possibility. Or else you end up with a canon ending and then every other one is just a what if.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
No thanks. I'm such a completionist that I'd be compelled to replay the game over and over until I'd gotten all the possible outcomes, and I just don't feel like I'd have the time =P

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I believe Majoras Mask had a true completionist ending similar to BotW.

But no, I think having separate endings works best if it’s in a one off game like undertale and not a series like Zelda. Otherwise it’s close to impossible to make a real sequel because it’s only continuing one ending.

The Henry stickman series of flash games did something interesting with this however: in the fourth game you have an option of either becoming the leader of a criminal organization or helping the government take down said organization. The intro to the next game recaps all of your previous adventures, and the people talking about it say that multiple sources say different things as to what happened, you then have the option later on to receive help from either the government or the criminals, and choosing one basically dictates which timeline the game is a continuation of. I think this might be a little much for a zelda game, but I can see Nintendo pulling it off.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
After the massive mess that has become the multiple timelines of the Zelda franchise which resulted from OoT?

No, I do not. In other series, they would pick an ending and it would be canon. In this series? All would be canon, and then we'd end up with an even-more convoluted mess than we have.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I wouldn't mind it, but I don't see much of a point since player choice has never been a focus in Zelda...and I doubt it ever will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom