• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Like a Gay The Legend of Zelda Character?

It wouldn't change the game at all, in my opinion. Maybe someone against homosexuality would find it problematic, but I wouldn't have a problem with it. Besides, there's already some people that think Tingle is gay, and plenty of people love him as a character.

I don't know if this fits in the Mature Discussion...

And no, I would not like a gay Legend of Zelda character. That would be strangely unfitting as the franchise primarily appeals to a younger audience, the majority of which is not prepared to acquaint themselves with such sexual orientation.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I'd argue we've already seen such a character with Ghirahim, though his personality is more ostentatious than homosexual. There were parts that I felt he went a bit far in that flamboyance, such as sneaking behind Link and making colorful mention of his arms. That's personally the extent I'd want them to go with that. The previous responses to this thread demonstrate enough reasoning to me.

I don't know if this fits in the Mature Discussion...

And no, I would not like a gay Legend of Zelda character. That would be strangely unfitting as the franchise primarily appeals to a younger audience, the majority of which is not prepared to acquaint themselves with such sexual orientation.

If they are old enough to deal with straight relationships, they are old enough to deal with gay relationships. They are essentially the same and making it out to be something different to a child only encourages more misunderstanding and prejudice. That's like saying we shouldn't allow white kids to play games with black characters because they aren't ready to acquaint themselves with a different race.
Either way I don't care if Zelda ever makes a gay character, to be honest I don't think the developers even think about their characters sexuality when they make them. I don't think they should start now.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Ghirahim, Tingle, the dancing guy at Castle Town's Malo Mart, etc etc etc.....:)

I'm just kidding, I don't know if these guys are gay or not. But, I certainly wouldn't mind if there was an obviously gay character(s) in the series. Zelda games are pretty diverse in many ways, why not?

If they are old enough to deal with straight relationships, they are old enough to deal with gay relationships. They are essentially the same and making it out to be something different to a child only encourages more misunderstanding and prejudice. That's like saying we shouldn't allow white kids to play games with black characters because they aren't ready to acquaint themselves with a different race.
Either way I don't care if Zelda ever makes a gay character, to be honest I don't think the developers even think about their characters sexuality when they make them. I don't think they should start now.

Basically, you're making the argument yourself that only whites play Zeda, which is completely false. Anyhow, sexual orientation is an entirely different matter than race as one is a former problem, which garners significantly less controversy than it once did, while the other continues to make headlines day in and day out.

Basically, you're making the argument yourself that only whites play Zeda, which is completely false. Anyhow, sexual orientation is an entirely different matter than race as one is a former problem, which garners significantly less controversy than it once did, while the other continues to make headlines day in and day out.

I never said only whites play Zelda, unless your inferring that only straight people play Zelda based on your comment? And yes children can be gay and play Zelda. Some find their sexuality earlier then others. Also I believe that solving the issue of gay discrimination would be better served by not making it out to be so strange and different that mom and dad can only tell you about it when your older. Kids can handle gay relationships like they can straight, there both the same and if they are raised seeing them as no different then they are less likely to discriminate as adults. Or maybe we should have no references to relationships of any type in Zelda. But as I said before I really doubt they put much thought into the sexual orientation of their characters...

Subzerostupid

Subzerostupid
It could be funny, but despite barely anyone really going to have a problem with it, is there actually any need for a gay character? It doesn't seem like the sort of thing that you would randomly put into a LoZ game. Overall, I doubt it would have much of an impact and is more likely to cause controversy than girahims flamboyant-ness, so I doubt we'll see something like this any time soon.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
Umm...I really don't know. I personally don't want a gay character in Zelda. Something seems kind of odd about that...but I'm not sure what...just feels kind of weird...for...some reason...I don't know.

Dark Hero

I am McBuscus. Hi :3
I think it would be kind of neat. Personally, it'd be a new experience. However, my brothers, (the TRUE Zelda players in my family, however, I am more experienced knowledge-wise...), assume characters such as Groose, Fledge, Ghirahim, Tingle, and Rusl to be homosexual. I am almost poitive that it would bring SOME source of predjudism to the game, alas, there's always someone who doesn't agree. If they did, perhaps, It wouldn't change my view on the game. It's a Zelda game, and you have the honor to have it, right? I do belive it would bring a more "dramatic" twist on the game, only because it affiliates with something other than the "norm" of the series and the creators might be taking risks by losing some fans. I personally am not against homosexuality, but these are just my thoughts. You may agree, you may not, I dont't care. Peace Off

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom