• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Eat Fallen Food?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Say you dropped some food on the floor. Do you go by the 5 second rule and pick it up fast and eat it? Or do you throw it out?

I abide by the 0 second rule. As soon as fallen food touches the floor, it's dead to the world. I toss it. I think its disgusting and unsanitary to eat food that fell on a place where everyone's feet was just stepping a minute ago.

My family has other ideas. My mom doesnt care at all and it drives her crazy when I do this. And it drives me crazy that shes so laid back about it. I can't even look at other people doing it, it grosses me out so much.

What about you guys? Do you care or do you not care?

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I don't really care. I mean, it's not going to kill you.

It depends on how clean the floor is and what kind of food it is. If the food is something sticky, no way am I picking it up and eating it haha. But if it's a fruit like an apple or an orange, I'll pick it up, rinse it off, and eat it.

Last edited:
I usually eat food off the floor if I drop it, sometimes I'll eat like a cereal piece hours later that I didn't notice I dropped... But there's exceptions. It really depends on the type of food and the floor I drop it on. If it's like a wet noodle and I drop it on the dusty carpet; no I'm not gonna eat it. That's yucky.

Also, isn't it the three second rule?

I don't make a habit of eating fallen food because I don't often drop it.

It depends what I drop though, wet food with sauce etc I won't eat it but if it's dry food it has more of a chance.

But I'm not a clutz.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Depends on the floor and if it's food that can be salvaged. If the floor is clean, and its a dry food that can be washed off, or wouldn't pick up much bacteria anyway, I would pick it up. I only do this in my own home though because I know my floor is clean, anywhere else, if it falls it's going in the trash. I usually don't drop food though.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't think I can remember the last time I dropped food on the floor but I think 99% of the time I would not eat it. Maybe if I had just cleaned the floor, nobody else had walked on it, and the food was easily washable then I would eat it but otherwise nope.

Honestly, if I am eating out and I drop a fry on the table I won't even eat that. Though I am more strict on that nowadays due to COVID.

Ninja

Well well well
There have been times where I've dropped a chicken wing at home, rinsed and ate it. Can't let that protein go to waste! Anything dropped on carpet is a no go though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom