• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Would You Accept Another 2D Zelda?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I have been thinking recently about the type of game that Zelda 3DS will actually be and one of the options I actually considered accepting was a refined 2D game, much like many of the other hand held and early Zelda games. Problem is though, is that we are in this modern society, in which an improvement in technology is always expected and in terms of gaming, this is still the case.

Unfortunately I have never got to play the Oracle's but 2D Zelda games like; A Link to the Past and the Minish Cap really surprised me. This was because I actually played them after some of the 3D titles and to actually enjoy them thoroughly when I adore 3D open worlds was actually quite surprising. Now the question that I am proposing isn't what you think will happen or fans pperception but your own personal opinion on the matter.

Do you actually think a refined 2D format could work in a brand new Zelda game? I mean there have been some games that have stuck to this formula despitemany games making the switch into 3D. So if we still had great game play, slick controls, amazing soundtrack and other aspects like exploration then could you actually accept a game of the old 2D top down style?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Only if it's classic Zelda - complete with the lack of story (because the lack thereof was intriguing and not irritating), difficulty (ALttP is the lowest difficulty I'll accept) and non-linearity. :)

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Yeah. Cept for AoL, haven't played a 2D Zelda I haven't liked so I don't see why I wouldn't like another. I believe MC was my first 2D one and I too was surprised at exactly how much fun I had with it. (Most Zelda tend to surprise me in that way).

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Only if it uses touch controls and works like modern 2D Zelda. The older stuff is trash in my eyes.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Well, we don't want the awesome 3D technology to go to waste. But, they could do 3D 2D... maybe. As long as it takes advantage of the 3DS' hardware, I'd be good with anything!

Only if its a spinoff. HD 2D could be interesting. That or a HD Adventure of Link, with difficulty settings and a change here and there.

For buying a cartridge to play the game, if it's in 2D, I would be disappointed. I want a full 3D adventure. However, I WOULD enjoy a 2D original Zelda in the eShop.

C

concretebrunett

I'd accept all Zelda titles made available to the 3DS, but would really enjoy if they were jazzed up a bit as far as the technology goes.

A Link to the Past and The Minish Cap are among the deepest installments with varied sidequests and numerous caves with hidden collectibles. A portion of the franchise's difficulty was lost in the transition to 3D. A 2D game would not only be an appreciated change in pace but a method for Nintendo to ramp up the number of enemies and puzzles per dungeon.

Obnoxiously long first post:

I have played most of the 2D Zelda games, though not all of them to completion, and enjoyed each considerably. It would be fun to have a new one to play, though I’m not going to demand one. I'd welcome any new Zelda game from Nintendo with open arms no matter what dimension it was in. In fact, one of the reasons we probably haven't seen a 2D Zelda in a while is that Zelda's basic gameplay is so similar between its 2D and 3D iterations that there's nothing about 2D Zelda that sets it apart as extraordinarily special.

Exploring expansive fantasy overworlds, delving into dungeons and discovering secrets can be done in both formats successfully. So there’s not much of a reason for Nintendo to keep making 2D games in the series when 3D is dominant in the industry and there’s nothing in 2D Zelda that can’t be replicated in them.

If anything, Zelda's gameplay is more limited when it only has two dimensions to work with. Combat is more simplistic and straightforward. There isn’t as much variety to the puzzles – there’s a reason why the series is infamous for pushing boxes- and you lose some of the storytelling’s impact due to not being able to make out facial expressions from afar.

I’m not saying that 3D Zelda games are instantly better than 2D game simply because they have an extra dimension –I’ll play Link to Past and Minish Cap over Twilight Princess any day of the week. With that said, it’s hard not to recognize the format’s weaknesses, even though I still appreciate it has a part of gaming history and an art style. It’s kind of like watching black and white movies. There’s a certain artsy timelessness to them that draws you back in time whenever you see one.

Right now Nintendo doesn't seem to have much enthusiasm for 2D games that don't star Mario. People have been clamoring for a 2D Metroid game for years, yet there's barely a hint that one is ever going to be made. I think the closest we can expect to seeing a return of 2D Zelda is the Link to the Past remake brought up as a possibility a while ago.

If Nintendo did release a completely new modern 2D Zelda, I'd prefer it to be a retro game similar in vein to the Nes-style Mega Man games Capcom released a few years ago. Basically a downloadable homage to the classic games that doesn't take up too much of Nintendo's developing effort to put out. People who want a slice of classic Zelda in the 21st century will get what they want, and people who don’t care for the older style games can turn the other way.

Generally the people who would not accept a 2D game tend to like the overrated games - Ocarina, Twilight Princess, ...
FACT: most of the series is 2D.
True fans are not very selective by definition. If you only like the 3D realistic games, you are only a fan of Ocarina, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess. If you only like 3D in general, you still don't like half of the games. Therefore, if you hate 2D, you are not a true fan.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Generally the people who would not accept a 2D game tend to like the overrated games - Ocarina, Twilight Princess, ...
FACT: most of the series is 2D.
True fans are not very selective by definition. If you only like the 3D realistic games, you are only a fan of Ocarina, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess. If you only like 3D in general, you still don't like half of the games. Therefore, if you hate 2D, you are not a true fan.

Well this is without a doubt the most pretentious crap I've ever read. =3

First off, just because someone may not like 2D games as much as 3D doesn't mean they hate it.

Second off, let's face it, the bottom of the barrel IS made of 2D games: AoL, FS, FSA, and CD-i titles (3 titles). Those are 6 titles together, which make up roughly 25% of the games. If you don't like them I guess you aren't a fan.

Third, who are you to say who's a fan and who isn't just because they don't meet your standards? Maybe I should just go around judging the forums on my standards. If you haven't beaten your top 5 Zelda titles a minimum of 30 times each, you are not a true fan. ;)

Last edited:

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I can except it as long as it dose not control like sprit tracks or phantom hourglass and that it controls like a typical 2d zelda game. Stylus controls that control the majority of every thing would be a big deterent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom