• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would the Addition of Voices Be a Plus or a No-no?

Are voice actings a good thing or not?

• AWESOME!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Forget about it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Zelda doesn't need voice acting. Dialogue boxes work perfectly fine. They have been working perfectly fine since the series began.
Having actual dialogue would make it feel more real. The characters would seem more like real people. I've played games with voice acting, and they've been top notch for years. I fail to see how hearing the pain in a character's voice what being brought harm or joy when being rescued would be a bad thing?

Though I see your point here, I kind of like that the Zelda game is kind of 'mute'. You tend to focus more on the music that way. Plus, we can believe that the characters can sound anyway we want to, which won't give disappointment. Because there is always disappoint in choosing voice actors when it comes to a game. Especially one that's always been mute. Plus Link's grunts/yells wouldn't be so funny and awesome if they had a voice actor for his character. :P The "AHHHHHHHHHH" gets me everytime. xDD
I don't understand this. The voice acting in games never took away from the music, as far as I can tell.

And the "we can believe they sound anyway we want" excuse has to stop. People felt the same way about people playing characters in "Lord of the Rings"; but, after the movies, they couldn't see anyone else but those actor's playing the roles. It doesn't matter if it matches exactly what you imagined, as long as it's done well.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
i will use the exact same argument I always use...

Link, by his very name, is supposed to be a link between the game and the player. In a sense, Link is you. If Link spoke, you wouldn't be Link, now, would you? I don't mind how they did it with Twilight Princess, but definitely not full voice actors. Being able to respond to how Navi says "HEY!" or the fact that we accidentally pressed the A button when KG has "Would you like to hear what I said again?" is what makes Link so awesome a hero, that you are in his shoes. If a voice actor were added, it just wouldn't be the same.

You misunderstand. In no way do we want Link to talk. Just the other characters. Why the hell would we want Link to talk? That'd ruin the game, and for the reasons you said.

H

Hyrulian Angel

Poll: Should Zelda Games Ever Have Recorded Voices Instead of Textbox's?

Have you ever been annoyed how you can never hear the characters in Legend of zelda actually talk with voice actors? Well, what would you like to see in future Zelda games:

1). The same textboxes with those weird little "HEYS" at the beginning of each new character talking

2). Other characters speak with the help of voice actors but Link stays silent

3). Everyone talks, including Link. The cut scenes and dialogues are featured in movie form, sorta like in kingdom hearts.

4). Other solutions or ideas?

So? What do YOU think and why? Vote now!
Ps. Sorry this isn't actually a poll... i couldn't figure out how and the heading won't change....... so just answer the question please!

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
I personally think, that with how much it has been non-voice acted, that no matter what, nobody in the game would live up to our expectations of how they would sound. We've read it so much we've sort of given people voices (at least, that's what I've done) and if they got voice actors to speak... it wouldn't sound 'right' to everyone. Granted, they have the help of the sounds people do make, but still...

Dan

I will have to go with 1. The reason behind this is I find it leaves it up to the imagination of the gamer as to how they sound. I find it creates a brilliant atmosphere for the games.
Another reason , in games such as fallout I've already read the text while the npc is still reading it out for me. So pace of voice is another issue. The games would most likely take longer to produce as well, due to finding voice actors and recording. I prefer no voices in my zelda games and I hope it stays like that.

No. It's fine the way it is, and I prefer silence generally as well- I don't need an obnoxious voice actor to read the subtitles for me.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The silence draws out more emotion from the NPCs and immersion from Link. So I don't think it's a good idea.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
I personally don't think there should be voice acting, Zelda doesn't need it and its lack of voice acting is just part of what seperates it from other games, and like alot of you said no voice acting means that you can imagine what a character's voice would be like for yourself&make up your own voices for characters. Besides besides just look at how voice acting turned out for Super Mario Sunshine, I would REALLY hope they don't do anything like that to zelda XP.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
For me, no. It isn't because the voice acting in the show was cheesy, for me at least. I say no because we've already gotten so used to the text over the years, not to mention Link not even talking at all. It would just feel too different. Mario has more voice acting, but he doesn't talk either. Mario and Link both just have sound effects, and that's it.

Besides, who remembers going through Hyrule Field as a little kid racing to the drawbridge before night fall? It sounds a little like this:

"ARGH! HAWGH! FLAGH! HAWGH! ARGH!"

flyingeagle0816

The Twilight Knight
[video=youtube;bNpLXo55yfw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNpLXo55yfw[/video]
This tells me that it would be a bad idea.
wow thats just wrong lol :lol:

it would be a terrible idea for nintendo to make :) talk but i think if they got quality voices it could be a nice addition for other characters :suspicious: to talk in zelda

Last edited:
No, because I (personally) love that lonely and claustrophobic feeling that comes with the silence of the characters. I really get that feeling of impending doom (that sounded less dramatic in my head), of evil taking over, and I think that quite fits the games.

And also because everyone who played the games, created an idea in their heads of how the characters would sound and so on.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I agree with FlatandSharp but we have had voices in LoZ games before so we do know kinda how certain characters sound within certain games and no I'm just talking about Link.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
No-No.. Speech Bubbles are tradition, It's one of THA things that define a Zelda game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom