• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros Would Smash 5 Destroy the Joy-Cons?

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

Would the Joy Cons survive competitive players?

• Total voters

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Smash Bros is the kind of series that can singlehandedly wear out and destroy controllers. Just look at how ferociously the Melee players play.

Joy-Cons are tiny little things that look like they would be broken by just being touched. Would they be able to survive ferocious Smash Players?

I think not. Smash 5 would be a game meant for stronger, better made controllers like pro controllers, otherwise those poor little joy cons would not survive

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Since people who are going to play like this will either use the pro or Gamecube controllers, I kind of doubt this will be much of an issue. I also haven't heard many cases of joy-cons physically breaking, they seem to be quite durable from my experience with them. I don't think the wii remote or nun chucks had this problem either, at least enough for it to be well known. I kind of doubt this will be a big enough issue, if it does occur, that people should get all worked up about. I think we should wait and see before we start freaking out that our joy cons are going to break because of Smash Bros,

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Since people who are going to play like this will either use the pro or Gamecube controllers, I kind of doubt this will be much of an issue. I also haven't heard many cases of joy-cons physically breaking, they seem to be quite durable from my experience with them. I don't think the wii remote or nun chucks had this problem either, at least enough for it to be well known. I kind of doubt this will be a big enough issue, if it does occur, that people should get all worked up about. I think we should wait and see before we start freaking out that our joy cons are going to break because of Smash Bros,
My worry is specifically about the joysticks, as I am sure we all know they look like they could be popped off any second by anything. Also I dont think the switch is game cube compatible...

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
The joysticks aren't that different from other controllers, so if this was a problem than it wouldn't just be the joy cons.

Oh. It is compatible...

Well, I find that the joy cons are much more poorly made and are actually quite different than before, having the "bottom" (you know what I mean, right?) part being visible, making it much more likely to pop out or have issues

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Well, I find that the joy cons are much more poorly made and are actually quite different than before, having the "bottom" (you know what I mean, right?) part being visible, making it much more likely to pop out or have issues
Most joysticks have their "bottom" visible. I'm assuming you are talking about the ball like thing on the bottom.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Most joysticks have their "bottom" visible. I'm assuming you are talking about the ball like thing on the bottom.
yes and no. I was talking about the bottom of the joycon (The part sitting righton top of the ball) That was not so for the XBOX, Wii U, Gamecube or Playstation, and I'm afraid it will cause problems

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
yes and no. I was talking about the bottom of the joycon (The part sitting righton top of the ball) That was not so for the XBOX, Wii U, Gamecube or Playstation, and I'm afraid it will cause problems
I legit have no idea what you are talking about.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
The bottom part of the joycon sitting right on top of the ball. It is a part of the joy con and is usually not seen

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
The bottom part of the joycon sitting right on top of the ball. It is a part of the joy con and is usually not seen
My joycon joy stick legit doesn't look that different from my XBOX One controller joy stick. Smaller, but basically the same thing.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
images

This is about the best picture I could find, but it's not a very good one. The ball usually isn't visible, but I'm taling about how the actual joycon part usually only the trunk and top are visible, while now the part the touches the ball is visible, unlike the Xbox Wii U, and other consoles

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
images

This is about the best picture I could find, but it's not a very good one. The ball usually isn't visible, but I'm taling about how the actual joycon part usually only the trunk and top are visible, while now the part the touches the ball is visible, unlike the Xbox Wii U, and other consoles
Have you looked at other controllers' joysticks? The ones I've seen have the ball visible along with everything else. I'm not really sure what you are arguing here.

EDIT: The only real difference I can make out is that the actual stick part is a bit on the thinner side. Maybe it's an issue, but I don't really know enough about game controller design to know if that is really a big issue or not.

Last edited:
Short Answer: Don't know, don't care.
Longer Answer: It likely doesn't matter because anyone who considers themselves a pro player, or who is one, is almost certain to have purchased pro controllers.
Improbable Answer I Will Nevertheless Add: This is also assuming they don't again find a way for people to use the GameCube style controllers.

This is also assuming they don't again find a way for people to use the GameCube style controllers that people will pay them more money for.

There I fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom