• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would Newer Fans Really Care For A 2D Switch Zelda?

Would newer fans of Zelda Care for a 2d Switch Zelda?

• Total voters

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
People who had their first experience with Zelda from Breath of The Wild and got hooked (Or at least liked the game and may or may not have wanted to try more), are probably looking for Breath of the Wild type games, such as Skyrim.

These fans have most likely only played BoTW, or maybe a couple older ones like Twilight Princess and Wind Waker. This is good, as they are getting a pretty good mix of open, linear, and other things too.

However most of them probably never made their way over to the Original, the Oracle games, or even Minish Cap, most likely, meaning they only know a little bit of Zelda, and none of the 2d titles.

Fans nowadays expect open world games like BoTW that are so massive that they would take hours just because that's how long it takes to walk to the final boss from the start (hyperbole). When newer (And most likely younger) fans of the series see that the next Zelda game is 2d, I am worried about how they will react.

I mean, if a trailer for Oracle of Ages came on today and I had only ever played BoTW, I'd be like: "Yeah, no".

This gets me worried.

Newer and younger fans, in my opinion, wouldn't appreciate what 2d Zelda has to offer without being eased into the idea of a 2d Zelda first, like after first playing SS, OoT, TP, and MM, and liking them enough to take a plunge into the older and less their type games.

Do you feel like newer Zelda fans who learned of Zelda (Or started liking Zelda) through BoTW would actually care about a 2d Switch Zelda title?

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I don't know if the question is if new series fans would appreciate a 2D Zelda game so much as would Nintendo appreciate a 2D Zelda game.

Nintendo does, since because ALBW. But not enough to release a main series console 2D Zelda title on the Switch. In addition to not being an adequate showcase for the system, Ninty has this nasty habit of spontaneously forgetting important stuff from years ago, such as how good the Zelda series was even before Ocarina of Time or that Star Fox isn't a Zelda game.... stuff like that.

A 2D Switch Zelda would be most likely as a gaiden entry with a short development time and more immediate release. Or just another 3DS game.

As for new series' fans, their interest in a 2D Zelda would depend on how many of them have played and appreciate the old school Zelda games. Otherwise a new 2D game won't necessarily kindle such an interest in them.

A modern 2D Zelda on Switch might work as a nostalgia grab like NSMB or Mario Maker and all the stuff Ninty likes to do where modern cash-ins superficially resemble their old school versions because old school was totes lit, bruh. Retro stuff appeals to new audiences who find it novel and think they can live the old games vicariously through new retro inspired titles.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Not really, speaking as someone whose played from OOT i found it hard to look at the 2D titles and to play them (obviously i fell in love with them after) and after the likes of even more modern zelda games i don't think a 2D zelda would be accepted anymore. We are firmly entrenched in the 3D land now sad to say, unless they remade the 2d games a la ALBW then they won't be looked at

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I doubt it'd do well...which is a shame, because I think BOTW's formula would fit a 2D setting better than 3D.

A hard question to answer, but yeah I think it wouldn't be as successful. Maybe they need to 'pull an Oracle' by making 2 games that can connect with each other again. That might bring more interest, but who knows.

Just look at all the titles released in the last ~2-4 years, almost all of them were 3D, so I would highly doubt Zelda in 2D could make a comeback

The newer generations are more aligned with graphics like those of BotW. 2D and Top Down are just dead in the water by those standards. Honestly, we're probably just gonna keep riding the "change" train until it's too late.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
as much as it's hard to part with, 2D games are a thing of the past for Zelda. Zelda has been very successful in it's 3D games and it's 2d games are historically less popular. this isn't to say that they are bad however, triforce heroes and ALBW are some of my favorite Zelda games. I don't think that we will see much more of these styles, however, since the DS series seems to be dying off since the introduction of the switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom