• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Worst video game sequels ever.

Ratchet and Clank 2, Assassin's Creed III, and Paper Mario: Sticker Star off the top of my head.

Salem

SICK
Mega Man Zero, Zelda: Skyward Sword(OH SNAP!), Crash Bandicoot: The wrath of Cortex, Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Zelda 2...
That's not bad. It's more on an acquired taste. Some love it and others hate it.

Im my personal opinion I thought these 2nd or 3rd or 4th etc etc games were really bad (in my opinion). Or maybe others love them and I didn't.

• Super Smash Bros 4 WiiU. I really think that game is a huge miss. Well compared to the previous SSB games.
  • Mega Man 4, 5 and 6 NES. The first was alright. 2 and 3 were totally amazing. 4-6 were just so bad in my opinion. Terrible ideas for the maverick robots and Dr Wiley's stages were just as bad in 4-6.
  • Yoshi's Story N64. The SNES Yoshi's Island was relatively ok. But the N64 game, what a let down. It's like 24 stages but you can only play 6 in a row each time. And each stage was so uninspiring.
  • Super Mario Sunshine GC. 64 and Galaxy 1/2 were totally amazing. But I could never get into Sunshine. I tried so hard but the spark that 64 and Galaxy 1/2 had was just not there in Sunshine.
  • Super Mario Bros 2 NES. I'm talking about the real SMB2. That is Japan only on the NES. We know it as the Lost Levels from Super Mario All Stars. The game is just too hard. And the spring platforms only sometimes worked. Total luck if they'd work or you died into the hole. The wind and the secret world 9 was a nice touch though but still thing game is really bad.
  • Donkey Kong Jr. A sequel to the Donkey Kong and Mario game. And DK Jr is all kinds of bad. DK Jr can't jump slow, dies if he falls more than a tiny bit and the game is just not fun.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I'll throw in Deux Ex: Invisible War into this. After the absolute perfection of the original, why would they, in every way but the menu screens, make the game worse? A game trying to simplify itself is not an inherent bad thing, there's lots of sequels less complex than originals which are just as good, even better, but this was just too much of a dumb down for me. Bad Deus Ex!

Hanyou

didn't build that
Super Mario Sunshine is not only NOT a worthy successor to Mario 64, one of the best Mario games, it's also a bland game in its own right. Almost everything about that game feels clumsy, from the mandatory, long, tedious objectives, to the ill-conceived watergun, to the story, to the voice acting, to the level design. It doesn't have a bit of the freedom that Mario 64 offered and its platforming is inhibited by controls that are inferior to those in its successor and predecessor. Every objective feels bloated.

Though it is not as bad as DK64, it still reminds me of that game in that the whole thing feels like busywork. Tedium incarnate.

Oblivion is the worst Elder Scrolls game, and it follows arguably the best. It's a very similar situation, actually; Morrowind, like Mario 64, is a defining moment in gameplay history and a high point of its series. Oblivion is a clumsy mess that hardly feels like it belongs in the same series.

Morrowind had a less than perfect skill/attribute leveling system, but it was still relatively manageable and you'd rarely find yourself permanently underpowered against enemies. Oblivion, due to its nonsensical level scaling premised on making the game more challenging instead of letting the player feel more powerful as a reward for their hard work, gimped your character if you didn't prioritize certain skills.

There isn't half as much depth to the story or the writing; most of the quality lore comes from Morrowind, and while that game at times felt like a good sci-fi novel, much of Oblivion is written like an undergrad's enthusiastic but embarrassing submissions in creative writing class. The story isn't exciting, which would redeem it, and the characters feel flat.

I love the soundtrack, and the world is nice enough, though even there it's not half as well-designed as Morrowind and Skyrim. The quests are fun. All of this makes me think that if Oblivion were remade in Skyrim's engine, it would be worth exploring again. But the gameplay itself is so poorly designed as is that I question revisiting Cyrodiil when two adjacent provinces have provided me with so much more joy and wonder.

Super Mario Sunshine is not only NOT a worthy successor to Mario 64, one of the best Mario games, it's also a bland game in its own right. Almost everything about that game feels clumsy, from the mandatory, long, tedious objectives, to the ill-conceived watergun, to the story, to the voice acting, to the level design. It doesn't have a bit of the freedom that Mario 64 offered and its platforming is inhibited by controls that are inferior to those in its successor and predecessor. Every objective feels bloated.

I disagree. Super Mario Sunshine not only outdid Super Mario 64, but is also one of the greatest Mario games created. The level design was easier, but also more creative- and integration of FLUDD was awesome. Plus the "Secret" levels were a great homage to SM64.

Oblivion is the worst Elder Scrolls game, and it follows arguably the best. It's a very similar situation, actually; Morrowind, like Mario 64, is a defining moment in gameplay history and a high point of its series. Oblivion is a clumsy mess that hardly feels like it belongs in the same series.

Oblivion had far better sidequests than Skyrim though.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Phantom Hourglass.

Awful sequel to a game I really love.

Agree. I think instrumental to a sequel, in concept, is the fact that you need to have something meaningful to add to the original if you want to make the sequel. A sequel should add to an IP - not milk it. And The Wind Waker, to be honest, is a complete thought in my opinion.

With Phantom Hourglass, it felt like they took things away from The Wind Waker. The story got dumbed down, the dungeons were dumbed down, the sailing was made even more linear. PH felt like something that was created to support the DS and the idea of motion controls rather than to truly expand on Wind Waker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom