• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Worst video game sequels ever.

• Super Smash Bros 4 WiiU. I really think that game is a huge miss. Well compared to the previous SSB games.

Not as bad as Brawl, but compared to Melee, it felt pretty disappointing. There's just so many things missing from the previous games that it made the game feel a bit bare bones to me.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star. By no means is it the worst video game sequel ever, nor does it even come close to that title, but... Dear lord this game sucks. All of the previous titles in the series are stellar, but Sticker Star is just... bad.

Sticker Star definitely was garbage. You could say the same about Super Paper Mario, but at least that one had not only an interesting story, but also a memorable cast of characters. Sticker Star barely has any of those other than an annoying tsundere fairy companion. Good thing I got rid of it weeks ago. Give me a better Paper Mario game any day.

Agree. I think instrumental to a sequel, in concept, is the fact that you need to have something meaningful to add to the original if you want to make the sequel. A sequel should add to an IP - not milk it. And The Wind Waker, to be honest, is a complete thought in my opinion.

With Phantom Hourglass, it felt like they took things away from The Wind Waker. The story got dumbed down, the dungeons were dumbed down, the sailing was made even more linear. PH felt like something that was created to support the DS and the idea of motion controls rather than to truly expand on Wind Waker.

WW never needed a sequel, tbh. If it did, you'd think they give it justice like what they did with LA & MM. Sadly, WW just had to have a sequel that is very disappointing. I wouldn't mind the game all that much if they didn't half-*** it so much.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Epic Micky: The power of two. (Even though the first wasn't good the second was kind of worse.)

Star Wars The force unleashed two. (No need to explain, just a bad game compared to the first.)

Phantom Hourglass (just didn't live up to my expectations after Wind Waker)

Agree. I think instrumental to a sequel, in concept, is the fact that you need to have something meaningful to add to the original if you want to make the sequel. A sequel should add to an IP - not milk it. And The Wind Waker, to be honest, is a complete thought in my opinion.

WW never needed a sequel, tbh. If it did, you'd think they give it justice like what they did with LA & MM. Sadly, WW just had to have a sequel that is very disappointing. I wouldn't mind the game all that much if they didn't half-*** it so much.

I'm a little saddened to see so much hate for PH :(. I agree it pales in comparison to Wind Waker, but I liked it. Btw, what's your guys's opinion on Spirit Tracks?

Sticker Star definitely was garbage. You could say the same about Super Paper Mario, but at least that one had not only an interesting story, but also a memorable cast of characters. Sticker Star barely has any of those other than an annoying tsundere fairy companion. Good thing I got rid of it weeks ago. Give me a better Paper Mario game any day.

Paper Mario 1 and 2 were soooo beautifully scripted and executed. They have two of the best stories in any RPG I have ever played.

Super Paper Mario was a disappointment given the amount of gameplay changes, but even it was a masterpiece compared to Sticker Star. I hope the inevitable Wii U sequel is a proper follow-up to 1000 Year door.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Black OPS II was for the most art good but I missed the currency from the first game. That way you could earn progression using the weapons you wanted, instead 0f having to level up guns you don't like. It was an innovation that should have stayed.

MGS II- I know its been done a lot, but the characters and story are so much weaker in that game than they are in 1 and the others. Also, Big shell is boring and monotnous. It's dulls colors are a bad clash to the first ones cold gritty atmosphere. Bosses other than Vamp are forgettable, and the whole game just feels like Kojima lost sight of what made the first one stand out. Also, Lying about Snake's role. Not cool.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
I don't hate Phantom Hourglass. It's a somewhat good game. If there weren't any other games in the Zelda series, I'd play the **** out of Phantom Hourglass. But I just feel like that since PH follows the Zelda formula without adding a whole lot to spice it up, I'd rather play Minish, the Oracles, ALTTP, etc.

Djinn

and Tonic
Star Wars Battlefront 2 removed almost everything I ever cared for in the first game. I hated it no matter how many times I attempted it.

All the Megaman X games after X2 were awful, they get progressively worse with each one. X5 and after are just not even playable. They fall into the same trap as a few other games with the weapons you get are absolutely not useful for anything other than defeating the next cookie cutter boss. Worthless anywhere else.

Sonic 06' and everything that came after, just what happened with Sega anyway?

Everything post Lunar 2. The first and second games are amazing and some of the best RPGs I have ever played. But Working Designs has never in almost 20 years of remakes and graphics updates of those two ever produced a sequel that was anything but the most half assed attempt with a famous title slapped on it. Most of them are ridiculously short with maybe 3 playable characters.

Salem

SICK
All the Megaman X games after X2 were awful, they get progressively worse with each one. X5 and after are just not even playable. They fall into the same trap as a few other games with the weapons you get are absolutely not useful for anything other than defeating the next cookie cutter boss. Worthless anywhere else.
Wow, even X4? I remember liking that one, even though I never played it in years.

I heard the Megaman X series has gotten bad since X6.

Djinn

and Tonic
Wow, even X4? I remember liking that one, even though I never played it in years.
I beat it the first time I played it within a couple hours. Then the Zero game is next to impossible, so it's either breeze through it or never get past that third boss difficulty. But still suffers from the no weapon is good for anything but killing a single boss. I miss having special stuff that made getting through levels more fun.

Salem

SICK
I beat it the first time I played it within a couple hours. Then the Zero game is next to impossible, so it's either breeze through it or never get past that third boss difficulty. But still suffers from the no weapon is good for anything but killing a single boss. I miss having special stuff that made getting through levels more fun.
I preferred the Zero gameplay from X4, as for the weapons, I don't remember you could be right about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom