• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Worst story

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I would probably have to go with LoZ or AoL on this. But that was the way games were made back in the earlier days and the plot is not very bad for these two games either.

I have actually not played FS yet and therefore I haven´t considered this game.

Best plot could possibly go to Alttp, I believe it was awesome!

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I once wrote a fan fic specifically to fill in the GAPING PLOTHOLES I found the original LoZ.

That is - "Were the dungeon bosses Ganon's creatures or royal family-appointed guaridans? If they were Ganon's, then why didn't they just take the fragments they were guarding to their master?"

And, also, why was Ganon just waiting around for Link to BRING THE ToW RIGHT TO HIM at the end of the game?

LoZ had a very simple story and, indeed, it was advanced for its time (its plot makes more sense to me than original Super Mario Bros.) , but it still had a few plotholes you could drive the Starship Enterprise through.

That said, I'm actually torn between it and Zelda II/AoL. I mean, Zelda II had quite an intricate little plot (especially with the manual stuff, which I didn't find out about until fairly recently because the copy of the game I had as a kid was used and didn't have the manual with it)! But, AoL's plot just... kinda.... made little sense. I found it very confusing. "There are two Zeldas? What about the one that was rescued in the last game?" We don't learn hide nor hair of her and its' all very strange.

I'm also wondering, if Ganon's minons need Link's *blood* to revive their master, why does Ganon return on the death-screen when Link falls into lava or water - presumably without the minions being capable of retreiving his body and thus his blood?

Eh, but tighening up video game plots is the job of fanfiction writers.

Zarom

The King
LOZ was definitely the one with the weakest story/plot. There wasn't much details.
All you have as stories is the prologue and the end of the game where Zelda says like: ''Thanks Link, you are a hero!''

So, LOZ.

Last edited:

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I would tend to agree that LoZ has probably got the simplest of the plots, but I think AoL's might be more disappointing. It had such a brilliantly in depth backstory that was not followed through with the actual plot itself.

Instead, the game's plot is very much that of LoZ's in a way. Instead of obtaining things at the end of a dungeon, you had to leave things instead, all of which just leading you to rescuing the princess. If it weren't for that backstory, then the main story just wouldn't be worthwhile.

So, while LoZ's was simplest, I think AoL's was actualy worse because the lead up was just so promising and in the end it didn't deliver.

peanutjoepap

Mr. Peanut
I thought PH had a very weak plot. Instead of buying a map you have to go through this giant temple that tries to kill you to get something you could buy for 10 bucks from a shop or (errr) tingle. What real harm did Bellum do. It killed a whale, put a few weak monsters that you could kill with a stick all over the place, tuned a girl to stone (for trespassing), and made a creepy ship that runs from thing every it sees. Bellum had no back story, no reason for doing any thing, and had no plan what so ever. Not to mention you did not get a sword upgrade forever. And the biggest problem is that it never tells you were you are, if it is a dream or not, and why did it only last ten minutes? I could go on, but I think I have made my point.

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
Out of the console 3-d Zelda's, Ocarina of Time's was the worst. It's just the standard good vs. evil plot to me.

Shnappy

derp
I see a lot of people talking about how LoZ and AoL had simple plots/stories that weren't very in depth, but I'm not going to count those.

Video gaming at that point wasn't very advanced. Heck, the stories of those games were a lot better than most NES games released at a time, because a lot of NES games didn't even have a story to begin with. They were a great start to the series and the interesting and complex stories/plots that came from them.

I haven't played through LA, but, the ending has been spoiled for me already (not that I mind that too much), and I've heard that the whole think is just a dream. Come on, man. I know that LA's one of those games where a lot of people say "you diss it, you die", but I think that's kind of weak.

Other than that, none of the stories were actually bad, in my opinion, and I can't pick one that I can say is the "worst". But, a may be wrong about the importance of LA being a dream, but from what I know, I think that it's not that interesting if the game is "just a dream".

dumb180

Warrior Postman
Hmm. Out of the Zelda games I've played, probably LoZ. But it's not like LoZ's story is particularly bad. That Link is just.. a little different.. from other Links. Whereas most Links are unlikely heroes or people that merely 'fell into' the situation, he's more of a standard medieval knight. He saw Impa in danger and stepped in because that's what a chivalrous knight would do. And then he continued acting when Impa told him about Zelda. Though the backstory doesn't really say it, I think it's a safe bet that this Link was out looking for danger before he ever heard of Impa. :)

I like the plot, but since it's more or less all in the backstory, I'd have to go with it.

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
I'm kind of torn between TMC and PH. I got close to the end of TMC, and was kinda disappointed. As for PH, it only held my interest for a short ammount of time. I couldn't stay interested in it.

startimer

Resident Cartographer
I thought PH had a very weak plot. Instead of buying a map you have to go through this giant temple that tries to kill you to get something you could buy for 10 bucks from a shop or (errr) tingle. What real harm did Bellum do. It killed a whale, put a few weak monsters that you could kill with a stick all over the place, tuned a girl to stone (for trespassing), and made a creepy ship that runs from thing every it sees. Bellum had no back story, no reason for doing any thing, and had no plan what so ever. Not to mention you did not get a sword upgrade forever. And the biggest problem is that it never tells you were you are, if it is a dream or not, and why did it only last ten minutes? I could go on, but I think I have made my point.

Completely agreed.

But now for me to add my $0.02

I see a lot of votes for LoZ/AoL. I agree that the plots are overly simple, but they're not bad

If you want a bad story, play Four Swords.
There are supposedly good faries that posses the keys to the villans lair, but they'll only give them up IF YOU COLLECT ENOUGH MONEY!!! WTF!?!?!

S

Subrosian

Worst: Loz
Best:LA/Alttp/MM
Link's Awakening had a plot that made history in the videogame world.
It was the very first game to incorporate the whole 'it's a dream' plot.
Plus, it isn't a twist ending, you see it coming.
MM had the darkest plot 'cause *insert rambling about how MM is the darkest Zelda game ever*.
Alttp was pretty good because of it is the first game where Link has a family(member),
and because Agahnim was about kill Zelda to bring back Ganon at the beginning of the game, gave it a sense of urgency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom