• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Worst Injury

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
As odd a thread as it sounds (and I don't know if there was one like this before), but humans can't help but be (even slightly) morbidly curious about injuries. So here's my question- what's the worst injury you've had/can remember?

For me, it's probably when I tore my right knee open to the bone on a nail when I was... 5? Oddly, I can't remember pain or anything, but just sitting there holding this pale blue flannel that was soaked brown with my blood o_o
Otherwise, it's the time I got hit in the face while playing hockey. I still have a scar in my eyebrow from that, and the sight of the gravel floor forever fixed into my memory xD

But what about you guys? Anyone ever been knocked unconscious? What bones have you broken? Anything obscure happen to you? What injury would you hate to have? Discuss :)

I've never been one who's prone to injury, so I don't really have many cases that have been that serious. Here's a few though:

When I was younger, apparently I was smart enough, to take a pot of boiling water off of the stove, and drench my arm in it. I don't quite remember how bad it was, I don't remember it, but I think it was high 2nd-degree burns.

I think about 4 years ago, I damaged one of my arms to the point that it hurt for about a month, although I don't quite remember what I did to achieve that.

And then earlier this year, was probably the worst since I actually remember and did go through that, was what I presumed to be a sprained ankle, maybe a little more. I was playing kickball at school in Gym class, and I jumped up to try and catch a ball, but landed back down on the side of my left foot. That caused it, and it hurt pretty badly for more than a month. What sucked about it, was it happened 1 week to almost the hour of when we got out of school for the summer, so the first 1/3 of summer was wasted because of that.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
The worst I've done is sprained my wrist ice skating one year. I couldn't write with it, so that was annoying.

Otherwise, I screwed up my knee bad once in PE at age 12 and I had to wear a brace to run. I don't run anymore (goodbye high school!) so I don't know if it still bothers me.

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
Probably the hearing loss I had on my left ear for a couple of years. When I was a kid I had a lot of operations done on my eardrums. They'd get infected like every year and sometimes both at the same time. My right eardrum healed with no further consequences, but after a couple of years my left eardrum was still prone to infections and whatnot. After a few years my left eardrum was so messed up it was beyond recovery and I needed a donor. Needless to say I had to get surgery a few weeks later and I've hearing fine since then.

While sprinting I broke my left arm once. I fell pretty hard and could only hold my arm in one position. The janitors at school told me that it was defintely not broken though... Well, after a visit to the hospital it turned out it was. Having my arm cast was pretty neat though! :D

Luckily I haven't really experienced any serious injuries. Though I've been through some pretty crazy stuff... Had one of these on my head and that turned out to be a concussion. :P

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
When I was a young child (around 6 or 7), I was running around barefoot in my yard and stepped right down on a piece of glass. I still have the scar on the bottom of my right foot. Not long after that healed, I cut up my left foot on a broken mirrior inside the house when I'd stepped into a room after it had dropped.

As for something unusual, a couple of years ago, I was run over by one (or more, I couldn't tell) horses. I was working at a ranch at the time and was leading a pair of horses out of their paddock and trying to keep one more inside as I closed the gate. Something got them excited and the next thing I knew, I was on the ground and felt hooves on my back. They didn't press down hard, though - it was like the animals realized that they were stepping on a human and got off. Oddly enough, I was not injured by that nearly as much as I could have been or even should have been. My ribs were intact... all I got from it was some bruises, which went away after a while. I mean... it could have been a lot worse, that. I came out of that wondering just *why* I didn't suffer any broken bones.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
When I was about 2 or so, I got a sewing machine needle stuck in my finger. That was a fun moment.
Age 4, my friend pushed me down a flight of stairs... backwards. Also quite fun.
When I was 7, I slammed the car door on my thumb.
Age 11, got an old rusty nail shoved through my right hand. Then a year and a half ago, I got another old rusty nail shoved through my left hand. Yay for no Tetanus!
Age 17 my friend broke my thumb. I'll admit, those 2 weeks of wearing the cast weren't as bad as I thought they would have been.

There are definately like a million other things that happened to me.
My family gave me a nickname when I was little 'Bull in a China Shop'. I wonder why...

Jetter

Type to myself in silence
During baseball practice I was right field and the sun was in my eyes. A pop fly came over to me and hit me right in the mouth. My head felt fuzzy and I ran in as fast as I could. My coaches said I was the toughest kid on the team. I wore a batting helmet the rest of the season. I also had a fractured on one of my top teeth. My lip sweld up. Iwas afraid Icouldn't go to school because it was WASL week

Kazumi

chagy
Well. I don't get a lot of injuries, but about a year ago I fractured my ankle roller skating. That really sucked because I missed the entire second half of my football season, and I missed about a week and a half of school because it goes against public building code and does not have wheelchair access. :( So that. Really sucked. Though I did catch up on my PVP in World of Warcraft.

Other then that, I have not really had any bad injuries. One time I sprained my thumb playing soccer, and it hurt like hell. And I couldn't write. Which wasn't to bad. I also couldn't play video games. I found this out the hard way when playing Left 4 Dead..

Clucluclu

Time for waffles
I broke my thumb playing baseball when I was seven. After my thumb nearly doubled in size, my finger nail fell off.

Alex_Da_Great

Dark Link is here...
I had at least 2 serious injuries.

1. When I was 6, I was climbing up a mcdonalds slide at a birthday party (stupid, I know :P) and as I reached the top, someone pushed me over. It was like a 20 foot plunged to the concrete ground. I broke my shoulder bone.

2.When I was 8, we were playing tips and the bar was a very rough, concrete surfaced pole and I was running full pace to it, someone tripped me over and BANG! My nose was bleeding all over, I couldn't breathe and yeah, I couldn't run or do anything.

Apart from that, nothing much, my knee and shin bone got ripped so bad that you could see the bone but apart from that, nothing else. :P

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I had a small bicycle accident two years ago. Someone suddenly stopped and I couldn't stop in time, so I fell and I ended up with a small crack on the head of my left upper arm bone. I had to walk around with a mitella for two weeks and I had to write all my exams with my right hand D:. Eventually it healed, but 5 months later, I got an infection at the same spot so I couldn't lift my arm again. I'm still quite carefull with my left shoulder, because I don't want an infection again.

Other than that I luckily had no other bad injuries :).

When I was 6 I went to recess. There were alot of black pieces of stone along the edges of the sidewalk so I tripped on one and skinned my knee and elbow. So some nerdy guy took me to the nurse (who was a substitute) and there was alot of slow burning pain. The snot nosed geek kid took me back to the playground and guess what? It ended. I still had a mark on my knee and it hurt when it was touched.

DesertDweller

Love Truth
One time I was swimming in a public poll. I was swimming really close to the bottom of the pool, and I didn't realize it suddenly sloped up. I chipped about a third of one of my two front teeth right off. Luckily my dentist was able to restore it with an almost exact match of color.

Another day, I was chasing my sister up our stairs. She quickly turned into my parents' bedroom and slammed the door. I however tripped and fell just far enough to get my head partway through the door...I heard a loud bang and it all went black for 5 minutes or so. I was fine later, but it was kinda odd...

I get minor injuries pretty frequently. Lots of cuts and scrapes and bruises... lots of which I don't really know where they came from... :sweat: But the point is, I hardly ever get seriously injured.

Worst injury I ever got was from this one time it was raining and I was carrying big fifty pound bags of potting soil. I was walking down some steps (small ones, about four to six steps) carrying one of the bags. I slipped and fell backwards onto the steps. No major injury until the bag came down on top of me, into my stomach. It knocked the wind out of me, but the force of the impact pushed my back into the steps, and the corners essentially spiked into my spine. I got up right away but the pain was so bad I couldn't stand.

My mom wouldn't let me move. She was worried I had a spinal injury (they can cause permanent paralysis). I rode in an ambulance and got x-rays. Luckily, it was just a bad bruise. But it was a really bad bruise. I couldn't move very well and had to walk slow, and the pain was so bad I couldn't sleep at night and I had to take Advil to get rid of the pain. This is especially noteworthy because I'm known to be extremely stubborn about drugs. I hardly ever take them and resist them whenever possible, only using them when I absolutely have to. There was only one time other than this particular injury where I can remember taking Advil.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Well, I woldn't reffer to myself as prone to injuries but...

About four or five years ago, while outside with my friends, we were running somewhere, when suddenly, I tripped over a tree stump concealed in the grass.
I fell, and thwacked my head off some iron bars.

At first, I felt quite dizzy, but I eventually rose to my feet and the dizziness wore off.
I felt a warm feeling running down the side of my face.
I knew it was blood, but I thought there was only a little.
Only when I arrived home did I discover that the blood was absolutely everywhere.
On the back of my shirt, down my back, even on my shoes!

I went to hospital, and I thought I was getting a stitch. The doctor came along, grabbed a stapler, and slammed stapled my head. :(

Another one of my incidents was when I and my friends were sitting on our skateboards.
A passerby ****d mine, and I want speeding down a hill.
I was managing to stay stable and I eventually slowed myself down, that was until, I felt some object being ran over by the wheel.

When I finally stopped I couldnt move. I couldnt even rise to my feet.
I twisted my head and stared at my finger, which was spouting blood. D:
I got the wound cleaned up, and saw that my fingernail was cracked and hanging off, along with half of the skin on my little finger...

The nail did fall off after a while, and eventually, a brand new one grew, stronger than ever!

But other than those incidents, I'm mostly prone to bruises and cuts, most of which, I can't explain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom