• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Worst Game This Gen

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Guild Wars II

I don't understand o_O
The game is nothing short of fantastic (imho). It isn't a WoW-Killer and it didn't redefine MMORPGs as it was advertised, but it still screams loads of quality. Not to mention, it has WORLD instead of LEVELSET :D

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I have to agree with everyone on Sonic 06. Its mutually hated, literally broken, and just an all around horrible game. (I highly enjoyed it mind you, but that's besides the point).

The worst game I played this generation was Wii Play, not only because of its lackluster content, but because of the precedent it set for the Wii's lifespan.

Its mini-games were very poorly designed. Some of them like the horse riding one at least had replay value. They were a short burst of fun the first time so I replayed them a few times before moving on, yet most games like fishing had no lure from the get-go. Worst of all, since Nintendo introduced such mediocre software early in the Wii's lifetime to great success, it was proof that the system could house many more short lived gmmicky game collections. Even though the Wii also offered a diverse library of great experiences, the stigma of brief waggle games that claimed to offer fun for the entire family was stronger.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I thought Wii Play was rather fun? o_0

I'd say third parties are more to blame for the Wii's image than anything. Sure, Nintendo DID give off the vibe that it was first and foremost a "party system" aimed specifically at casuals, but third parties practically preyed upon this (accidental alliteration ftw!). They frequently released dumb-as-**** casual games, thinking they'd be eaten up, when the fact of the matter is they WOULDN'T be because they lacked the quality and polish Nintendo's party games did. No one wanted to buy them -- not the casuals, and certainly not the core crowd. But it doesn't matter, because third parties did this for a good two years, or so, before finally coming to their senses... only instead of actually making GOOD games, they just ignored the system entirely. You know, because making lots of cash on a system that's selling like hotcakes is totally bad for business.

I thought Wii Play was rather fun? o_0

I'd say third parties are more to blame for the Wii's image than anything. Sure, Nintendo DID give off the vibe that it was first and foremost a "party system" aimed specifically at casuals, but third parties practically preyed upon this (accidental alliteration ftw!). They frequently released dumb-as-**** casual games, thinking they'd be eaten up, when the fact of the matter is they WOULDN'T be because they lacked the quality and polish Nintendo's party games did. No one wanted to buy them -- not the casuals, and certainly not the core crowd. But it doesn't matter, because third parties did this for a good two years, or so, before finally coming to their senses... only instead of actually making GOOD games, they just ignored the system entirely. You know, because making lots of cash on a system that's selling like hotcakes is totally bad for business.

Wii Play may have been decent, if taken as a whole, but it didn't appeal to me one bit, especially after accustoming myself to the likes of 3D Mario and Zelda on the N64 and Gamecube, which were long unified experiences. But the problem wasn't necessarily the lacking content so much as the way it was presented. In Wii Sports, motion controls felt fluid because they were required for complex motions that felt more natural using the Wii Remote control scheme instead of traditional two button controllers. Wii Play didn't convince me that fishing, horse riding, or pool were enriched with motion controls. Plus, there wasn't any incentive to keep playing such as an 18 hole hole golf course or a daily fitness routine keeping track of improvements overtime and calorie burning.

Even if Nintendo had no control over what software third parties would bring to the table, other companies were certainly encouraged by Wii Play to produce equally shallow mini-game collections. And how were they to know their ideas wouldn't necessarily succeed? Many were published by big name game companies that seemingly saw a chance to create a new genre. These games flopped on Wii because there was no way any intelligible consumer would buy them for $50, yet they continue to exist in the smartphone and tablet marketplace because they make sense in that setting for a significantly lower price.

Not sure if this counts as the "past" generation as it's an ancient Xbox title, but I HAVE to put in a vote for Azurik: Rise of Perathia. You know, that game where you play a blue Super Saiyan with red eyes, wearing a Mesoamerican kilt and goofy goggles on his head. You collect the four elemental powers to power up your only weapon, the Axion, and eventually obtain a set of big white wings. Has anyone else played this game? It's absolutely abysmal. The overworld feels empty and lifeless, there is literally NO music aside from one rarely-heard leitmotif, the enemies are a pain in the *** to kill, your fellow villagers act like they belong in a horror movie, and you never have a clue if you're solving puzzles the right way or even if you're headed in the right direction. To add insult to injury, the camera is way off and the controls are terrible. My sister bought this one and is still soldiering on, trying to finish this game out of masochistic curiosity to see how it ends. :lol: One thing I can say for it, though: I highly suspect James Cameron saw and/or experienced this piece of crud and got inspired to make Avatar. The tropical jungle world of Pandora looks way too similar to Perathia. It's even got a blue planet in the sky. And of course there's those blue-skinned Navi. :P

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv046QxJgTU
http://www.ign.com/games/azurik-rise-of-perathia/xbox-16181

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
I tend to avoid not so good games, so I mostly only play the good games.

With that said, it might be possibly be Heavy Rain for me.

Wait, what?

Leave it, everyone's entitled to their own opinions, no matter how depressing they are.

The worst game I played, ignoring the obviously underdeveloped ones like Sonic '06, would have to be Paper Mario: Sticker Star. As a huge fan of the franchise, that was more disappointing then Super Paper Mario.

The worst game I played, ignoring the obviously underdeveloped ones like Sonic '06, would have to be Paper Mario: Sticker Star. As a huge fan of the franchise, that was more disappointing then Super Paper Mario.

That game was truly a disappointment for me, too. I liked Super Paper Mario, but Sticker Star was a true stinker. If only Miyamoto didn't tamper with the game so much like giving it a ****** plot. :/

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I'll go for Amy! God that was an awful game. It had a quite interesting concept when I first read previews of it but my God it's the pinnacle of bad design. I was more disappointed with other games, like Dragon Age 2 after absolutely adoring Origins, but if I had to pick a flat-out worst game, by far it goes to Amy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom