• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Worst Ending

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
This thread is in contrast to another thread I made - discussing your favourite endings.

So out for all the games that you've played down the years, are there any games that truly let you down during the ending stages? Maybe it doesn't have to do with disappointment, but just that the ending was just poor overall.

Edit: Spoilers Ahead

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Super Mario Sunshine had the worst ending stage. Majora's Mask had the worst ending.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Oh well my first pick is easy, Far Cry 2. I know that opinion was quite split on FC2 as a game but I really did enjoy it, felt very immersed into it and was a really fun game! But the storyline was a bit off at times, it wasn't the strongest point of the game for definite, but, that ending was just awful. It just pans out and that's it, with little to no closure or gratification. It was very much a "... is that it?" moment.

And now, the biggest offender. Halo 2. Halo 2... I loved you Halo 2, but how dare you stop right there! That ending, man. "Finishing the fight". Now, I thought that was a really powerful ending and it showed how badass Chief was, but, my lord, a cliffhanger like that was just unfair! It pretty much guaranteed that I was to be buying a 360 and buying Halo 3, some damn good marketing there Bungie, kudos, but, yeah... never shall forgive them for that.

Borderlands would be another. A great game, but, it ended with such a crappy boss fight which was genuinely just boring, and then I got worse items than what I had and barely any kind of closure or anything. Was a very weak ending, not something which befitted such a fun game. I remember just getting a Blue weapon from that boss, while I was packing Orange out of Lilith's cleavage. Come on Gearbox, bad show!

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Yeah def Halo 2, and Diablo 3. And Skyrim (not worst, but extremely lackluster compared to the rest of the game, and side quest stories)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
And now, the biggest offender. Halo 2. Halo 2... I loved you Halo 2, but how dare you stop right there! That ending, man. "Finishing the fight". Now, I thought that was a really powerful ending and it showed how badass Chief was, but, my lord, a cliffhanger like that was just unfair! It pretty much guaranteed that I was to be buying a 360 and buying Halo 3, some damn good marketing there Bungie, kudos, but, yeah... never shall forgive them for that.

I can't say I agree it was a powerful ending. Master Chief was just all like, "Yo, boss, I know we gotta end on a cliffhanger since it's my second game, but we're runnin' short on time, so Imma just wrap this up in the most abrupt way possible. *clears throat* I'M FINISHING THIS FIGHT, MOTHER****ER!!!"

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Yeah, I never got why people hated the Halo 2 ending. It's just a standard cliffhanger that wraps things up in preparation for Halo 3. I see no problem.

MM had the most disappointing final boss. I mean the ending was great, but the fight was so easy and pointless. I did the love the ending so much I immediately called the guy who lent me the game to tell him how awesome it was.

I'd the most disappointing would be Pokemon Ruby Version. (o,spoilers) I'd loved Pokemon for years, but that was the first one my parents actually got me. You spend hours training and honing your skills to beat Stephen, and then what do you find out? You have like 250 Pokemon left to catch, and it's not even possible to get them all without events, trading, and more trading. A disturbing realization for am eight year old (I've still never completed the Hoenn dex).

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Nobody's said Mass Effect 3 yet so I guess I will. The ending was short, abrupt, non-sensical, and lacked any real choice. It ignored the key themes of the franchise as well as established canon and Bioware even said that it was more important for them to have people talk about the ending than to actually have a satisfying one for the fans who spent 5 years with the series. The ending is just a deliberate middle finger to loyal fans.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
IMO, Fable 2. I'm not very easy to please when it comes to a games end, but this game barely had an intense "final boss" to fight, and it wasn't even the main villain! Someone else kill him for you! It was so anticlimactic!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Zelda Skyward Sword had the worst ending for a Zelda game imho. The final boss was so anticlimactic, Fi's suddenly gaining the equivalent of emotions, and the whole Zelda+Link atop the Goddess Statue thing...just disgustingly ill thoughout in my opinion. With Demise, I understand he wanted to fight on equal footing. So, the anticlimactic nature of the boss battle is justified. Fi should never have gained emotions, because it was never hinted nor rumored that she might have emotions. And I just don't understand what Nintendo wanted me to feel with Zelda+Link; on one hand it seems that the two have evolved from their childhood, but on the other it seems like Nintendo wanted me to see them as love interests. The ambiguity hurts me there.

Resident Evil 6 also had some terrible endings; Ada, Chris, and Jake's campaigns all made no sense at all, and their endings weren't endings to any cohesive story but endings to decent-to-great gameplay.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
MM had the most disappointing final boss. I mean the ending was great, but the fight was so easy and pointless. I did the love the ending so much I immediately called the guy who lent me the game to tell him how awesome it was.

How was it easy and pointless?

I can't really think of ending that were bad. I though Boderlands', Fallout 3's, The Wind Waker's, The Minish Caps', and Twilight Princesses' endings were dumb, but they weren't bad.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
How was it easy and pointless?

Easy: The first form is easily defeated with the Zora. It took me years to find out the 2nd form even had an attack. The third form is too slow.

Pointless: From a game perspective, it was definitely needed. From a story perspective, so much would have been gained if Majora's Mask was not alive and didn't control the Skull Kid.

I did not like any of Bioshock's endings. Shame, cause it's one of the best video games ever created in every other way.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
All opinions from this user are hereby irrelevant, inane, and to be disregard at the nearest opportunity.

SPOILER ALERT!

Ganondorf, Hyrule and the Master Sword being trapped under the sea was pretty lame, in my opinion. I never said it was bad though. I think it was pretty cool, but lore-wise it's dumb. Lore doesn't matter though, so that's why I didn't think it was bad.

I apologize for having an opinion. I forgot they were banned from the internet.

Easy: The first form is easily defeated with the Zora. It took me years to find out the 2nd form even had an attack. The third form is too slow.

Pointless: From a game perspective, it was definitely needed. From a story perspective, so much would have been gained if Majora's Mask was not alive and didn't control the Skull Kid.

Well, yea. The battle is easy when you use transformation masks, The second form is hard to attack, and the final form isn't slow. I had trouble with the last form because it spam attacks.

I still don't understand why it was pointless story-wise though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom