• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Worst Decade for Music?

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
The 50s gave us Elvis, the 60s gave us The Beatles, the 70s gave us Elton John, the 80s gave us Madonna, the 90s gave us Nirvana, and the 2000s and beyond gave us...Miley Cyrus. *shivers*

Everyone has their own preferences, but for those of you who know a lot of music throughout the decades, which one has the most worthless crap?

I think the current decade is the worst for music. Everything sounds the same and there's nothing that has any depth whatsoever. Sure, there is good modern music, but it rarely ever enters the mainstream and good artists never seem to have a lengthy career, disappearing in the blink of an eye.

So which decade do you think is the worst when it comes to music?

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Like I said, grunge is not my thing. At all. Im just not a fan.
Let's look at other great 90s groups
Spice Girls were pretty much proto-2000s
Whitney Houston is more connected to the 80s
Aerosmith and Bon Jovi were in the same boat
The only thing the 90s can truly call their own are gangster rap and grunge. And to me they're some of the worst genres out there. There's good stuff in each, but the bads outweigh the goods.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Like I said, grunge is not my thing. At all. Im just not a fan.
Let's look at other great 90s groups
Spice Girls were pretty much proto-2000s
Whitney Houston is more connected to the 80s
Aerosmith and Bon Jovi were in the same boat
The only thing the 90s can truly call their own are gangster rap and grunge. And to me they're some of the worst genres out there. There's good stuff in each, but the bads outweigh the goods.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The 80's by far. Everything wrong with the "mainstream" recycled lyrics, catchy hooks, and tautological beats can be traced back to the beginning of Pop. My issue with this undying trend is that the music itself values style over substance; a song that exists only to get stuck in my head rarely if ever has any meaning. Michael Jackson excelled at entertainment--there's no denying that--but his legacy has left behind a bitter mark on the industry.

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I was born in the early 70s, had to listen to the 50s and 60s music through my parents, was a fan of 80s music and grew tired of 90s music. Started to like music again in the 2000s. I think this is more a personal opinion but I would say 90s was the worst decade of music for me. Although I have to say that the Disco 70s were pretty awful too. I cringe when I hear some of the songs from the late 70s.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think the current decade is the worst for music. Everything sounds the same and there's nothing that has any depth whatsoever.
This is also my issue with modern music. You can barely distinguish music genres now, everything sort of sounds the same. In the past there were always certain popular forms of music that musicians embraced, except modernly it's gotten even more repetitive.

I think the current decade is the worst for music.
People says this for every decade though. Which ever decade is the present is what is the worst to some people. For some people it takes time for music to age and mature, like a fine wine. Elvis is a good example of this. In the 1950's many people hated his music. But today it's known as amazing.

PS. The Beatles are not a good example of this as the Beatles never got better with age. They were the trashy (though popular) top of the pops group of the 1960's. The One Direction of the 1960's. Listening to their music today, yeah it's still bad.

The 90s. Off the top of my head, Spice Girls is the only thing of value that came out of that decade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom