• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Worst Case Scenario for Zelda WiiU

I don't think a thread like this exists so...

We don't know anything about Zelda Wii U yet, only vague interviews talking about the length of introductions and the direction of motion controls. And adding what possibilities the Wii U tablet could bring only complicates things more... So ignoring all of that and thinking back to every other Zelda and their key features, which collection of say five features from previous Zelda games would turn you off if they were to be included in Zelda Wii U.

I'll give an example to make this clearer;

I wouldn't be too psyched to play Zelda Wii U (much like I wasn't with SS if i were to see some of these features)

1. The Four Sword - I know its VERY unlikely to see the Four Sword make an appearance in a 3D home console game but when we're dealing with Nintendo anything is possible. Especially if they're 'embracing online' capabilities with the Wii U a Four Sword would probably be a very likely candidate with such net/wi-fi features.

2. Flying - I wouldn't like to see this gameplay feature come back unless it is better implemented; for example, some airborne combat with enemies, perhaps some racing with other NPCs or even jousting as seen in Twilight Princess while rescuing Colin on the Bridge of Eldin. I'd also not want a vacant sky hub and would prefer to fly over the landscape rather than having to make the transition into another overworld like the sky in SS with the cloud barrier.

3. Timed Gameplay - By which I mean something akin to Majora's Mask. I never minded the theme of time in Majora's Mask it brought a dimension to the gameplay that like OoT hadn't been seen before. However, after playing Twilight Princess and seeing the beauty of the Twilight sections (of which made me stop playing and just stare in awe) and knowing that the WiiU is quite powerful, a timed dimension of gameplay wouldn't afford us to look upon whatever world Link finds himself in that is sure to look gorgeous.

4. A direct sequel - I think a Wii U Zelda title should be the start or the end of something, I think making a direct sequel to a previously existing game such as Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess would deny what should be a very long, large and gorgeous looking game its own individuality. Its the WiiU, its HD, I really don't want to be looking at a WW-esque Link in New Hyrule when I've seen him three times. If Zelda Wii U was a direct sequel of anything I'd be rather disappointed, it'd be a continuation of a story and not something that we could completely immerse ourselves in considering we know its immediate past and world or at least part of it WW-PH style where the ocean played such a huge part.

5. Stealth Missions - I HATE stealth in Zelda, getting to princess Zelda in OoT for the first time was kind of annoying for me as was the Gerudo stronghold. The Silent Realms of Skyward Sword, while technically not stealth still gave a helpless sense of things considering that if you were attacked you were screwed, much like a guard spotting you. The worst offender however is Phantom Hourglass with the patrolling Phantoms, if there is anything like this in WiiU i'll be dreading it.

Okay then, so thats my five, anyone else want to have a go? ;)

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I almost completely agree on all of your points. The only one I don't agree with is the Four Swords one. Obviously, this one is more based upon opinion and I really like the Four Swords series. In it's place, I would have no repeating dungeons like the Temple of the Ocean King. I really hated it because of the fact that it was basically the same puzzles over and over again.

MW7

Not to be a jerk, but actually I'd like a game with those features- especially the time system.

My list-

1. Tears of Light Quests- Easily my least favorite aspect of Twilight Princess. I don't see the fun in walking to dots on a map and then killing something in a Zelda game. It's like playing perfect dark multiplayer against meatsims who can't move, and it takes much longer.

2. Overworld is freakishly spread apart like in Wind Waker- I love the overworld in Wind Waker, but I would have liked it more if everything was closer together. It just led to wasted time without adding to the experience IMO.

3. Pointless boundaries are plentiful like in several games- My enjoyment of the last few console Zeldas has been less than it should have been IMO because of the game forcing you in certain orders for no solid reason (completely unrelated to the story). This problem was in earlier Zeldas as well but to a lesser extent.

4. Cutscenes are unskippable and dialogue can't be really sped up significantly- Please give us options Nintendo.

5. Gameplay interruptions like the rupees in TP or the bugs/treasures in SS return- Complete waste of my time. They tell me things that I know and have caused many a battle for me to be interrupted right in the middle of fighting.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Agreed with all except 2. I think flying could be a great way to get across a vast Hyrule. With Wii U this world could be skyrim like in size.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I actually would like 4 of the 5 points you listed, Spirit. Only Flying remains on my dislike list.

As for me:

1. A game that tries to beat out [insert game here] rather than being it's own game (TP + SS) - TP was a rehash. SS, I just didn't like. These games tend to tend to the casual fanbase (that wasn't a mistake; the game TENDS to casuals but tends to tend, confusing I know), thus having great ideas and stuff behind them but ultimately fail. By comparison, a game like Majora's Mask is just it's own game, it's neither a game for the veterans nor a game for the casuals. It's simply there to be there, and whatever it does, it does right just like, well, the legendary games Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past. Nintendo, for Zelda Wii U, 3DS and all future Zeldas, please prioritize them correctly. It isn't to garner a better game than OoT, ALttP, or whatever is the quoteunquote greatest Zelda of all time. It's to make a game that is executed well, to make money, and so on.

2. The plot basically being "Chase this girl who doesn't need chasing" (SS) - This is new for me, I'm finally getting my way to wording why the story of SS is bad. After reading a GameFAQs review, something hit me: the story revolves around Link chasing his childhood friend. But we're told not to chase after her because we're weak. Then we're still chasing her but find out she doesn't need the chasing. But then we continue to chase after her...right? Wrong. Whatever happened to stopping the villain? Cliche as that may be, it's better than chasing that girl who very clearly doesn't need chasing. Even her father said she'd probably be alright. >_>

3. The absence of the magic meter (TP + SS) - I'm one who likes options within a game as well as particle effects. The Meter presents so many options. It's absence as of late has been unnerving for me, and I could especially see it's application in Skyward Sword but sadly it isn't there. If Zelda Wii U lacks the magic meter, I'll rage like no tomorrow.

4. Villains like Demise, TP Ganondorf, Zant and Ghirahim (SS) - these are one time, useless villains IMO. They don't have any substance, nothing to live up to, to look forward to...they don't even deserve fans (especially Ghirahim -- people like him more for his awkward mentionings, model and actions, caring less for his application to the story). Did you notice? No one in SS even really noticed that Ghirahim existed. Skyloft and all of its citizens were oblivious. The world below was oblivious for the most part. Ghirahim was a joke. All of Ghirahim applies to Zant, and anything I WOULD say about TP Ganondorf would also apply to Demise. Nintendo, hearken back to the days of OoT Ganondorf, ALttP Ganon -- some kinda villain that is captivating not because of some thing that is totally able to be abused for a meme, but because he's EVIL.

5. Great concepts but poor execution and application (TP + SS) - face it, both games had great ideas behind them. The Twilight was an awesome idea. The upgrade system was a great idea. The giant Hyrule Field was in fact a great idea. But none of those great ideas, listed or not, lived up to the potential inside them. Nintendo, if you introduce anything, apply and execute it to the max and do it right.

Last edited:

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
I don't really agree with any of your points, but as long as it's A Zelda game, I don't care. I would be sad if they took out "The animal".

"The animal" I speak of is a trend in almost every Zelda game. This trend consists of an animal in the Zelda game that can take unlimited hits from the sword and not die. Enough hits usaully will result in the Animal attacking you. Examples include: Cuckoos, Pigs, and Remlits.

Worst case scenario: Link immediately falls off a cliff and almost dies. He is severely injured and spends the rest of the game in rehab trying to cope with his inability to walk. Zelda is kidnapped and murdered. Tingle is Link's psychiatrist.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Flying and timed gameplay are for sure one-time things. They were designed to fit one game and one game only. I don't see any reason to ask for them to not come back. As for a direct sequel, I agree that that shouldn't happen right away. Completely new stories at the ends of the different timelines need to be established so that the series can move forward properly with its storyline. Not sure why you're against a FS game. I highly doubt it would be a major release. My guess is it would be a downloadable title. And why no stealth missions? Those add a great gameplay element (if done properly). ST and SS did their respective stealth portions very well. But, to each his own, I guess.

Basically what I don't want to happen is for there to be no motion controls. I don't care if Axle's idea for the GamePad is done, but there better be an option to choose between it, the Wii MotionPlus, and the GamePad Pro. I would also hope for the dungeon style overworld to become staple for the series (with an open hub like the Sky, only on the ground). That was such a great aspect to keep the action flowing and is something that should not be taken out. Same goes for returning to previous dungeons, only next time actually having us go to a previously blocked off portion.

1. A game that tries to beat out [insert game here] rather than being it's own game (TP + SS) - TP was a rehash. SS, I just didn't like. These games tend to tend to the casual fanbase (that wasn't a mistake; the game TENDS to casuals but tends to tend, confusing I know), thus having great ideas and stuff behind them but ultimately fail. By comparison, a game like Majora's Mask is just it's own game, it's neither a game for the veterans nor a game for the casuals. It's simply there to be there, and whatever it does, it does right just like, well, the legendary games Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past. Nintendo, for Zelda Wii U, 3DS and all future Zeldas, please prioritize them correctly. It isn't to garner a better game than OoT, ALttP, or whatever is the quoteunquote greatest Zelda of all time. It's to make a game that is executed well, to make money, and so on.

SS catered to everyone, both casual and hardcore, which is something that didn't start happening until ST. Just sayin'.

2. The plot basically being "Chase this girl who doesn't need chasing" (SS) - This is new for me, I'm finally getting my way to wording why the story of SS is bad. After reading a GameFAQs review, something hit me: the story revolves around Link chasing his childhood friend. But we're told not to chase after her because we're weak. Then we're still chasing her but find out she doesn't need the chasing. But then we continue to chase after her...right? Wrong. Whatever happened to stopping the villain? Cliche as that may be, it's better than chasing that girl who very clearly doesn't need chasing. Even her father said she'd probably be alright. >_>

We weren't exactly chasing her. We were trying to find her in order to figure out what was going on. Chasing her would have been going after her just to go after her (which is how it started, but that quickly changed). The story slowly developed and altered motivations throughout. It's not as simple as you're making it out to be. Especially with the "she didn't need chasing" thing. Oh, yes she did. She got herself captured, and if it weren't for Impa, Ghirahim would have won because Link was too late. That's good storytelling. I seriously can't see why you would think otherwise.

3. The absence of the magic meter (TP + SS) - I'm one who likes options within a game as well as particle effects. The Meter presents so many options. It's absence as of late has been unnerving for me, and I could especially see it's application in Skyward Sword but sadly it isn't there. If Zelda Wii U lacks the magic meter, I'll rage like no tomorrow.

I'd like the Magic Meter to return, as well, but it's not that big of a deal. The more recent games actually worked better without it, and it was a wise idea to take it out due to the fact that it was becoming stale and virtually useless by the time of WW. If they bring it back, they need to put in practical uses like in Zelda II, ALttP, and MM. (OoT only had slightly practical uses. It wasn't used to its max potential.)

4. Villains like Demise, TP Ganondorf, Zant and Ghirahim (SS) - these are one time, useless villains IMO. They don't have any substance, nothing to live up to, to look forward to...they don't even deserve fans (especially Ghirahim -- people like him more for his awkward mentionings, model and actions, caring less for his application to the story). Did you notice? No one in SS even really noticed that Ghirahim existed. Skyloft and all of its citizens were oblivious. The world below was oblivious for the most part. Ghirahim was a joke. All of Ghirahim applies to Zant, and anything I WOULD say about TP Ganondorf would also apply to Demise. Nintendo, hearken back to the days of OoT Ganondorf, ALttP Ganon -- some kinda villain that is captivating not because of some thing that is totally able to be abused for a meme, but because he's EVIL.

Aren't townspeople almost *always* oblivious to what's going on? Only four Zeldas feature townspeople aware of what's going on, and two of them have them only somewhat aware. Why start complaining about that now?

Anyway, one-time villains are fine. They exist to take a break from the main villain, Ganon. They could be a bit more destructive, but they generally serve their roles very well, which is what Ghirahim and Demise did. They have substance. You're just not seeing it due to a bias.

5. Great concepts but poor execution and application (TP + SS) - face it, both games had great ideas behind them. The Twilight was an awesome idea. The upgrade system was a great idea. The giant Hyrule Field was in fact a great idea. But none of those great ideas, listed or not, lived up to the potential inside them. Nintendo, if you introduce anything, apply and execute it to the max and do it right.

In TP, yes. In SS, no. Almost all of SS's ideas were executed to the tremendously, some even to their max potential. (ALMOST all.) Many could be improved on, but that's part of introducing something new: testing it out and seeing if fans like it. If they do, improve on it. If they don't, either improve on it or drop it. Things worked well in SS. Very well, in fact. Far better than things even in WW and ST did. Not sure why you'd say otherwise.

Last edited:

Ghirahimiscool

Cucco Butt
What don't want to see is like, in OoT right at the beginning, theres like no story and adventure. You just go get you sheild and sword, then go strait to the first dungeon.NO STORY!!! I don't want to see this again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom