• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Worst Case Scenario For Zelda Wii U

A few months ago, I recall Spirit creating a thread titled "It Could Be Worse" asking posters to identify an element in a Zelda game they found lacking and explain how it could have been butchered further. At least that's what I believe the thread was about iirc.

Additionally, there was a thread awhile back asking what introducing what elements would cause Zelda to lose its essence. This isn't a thread for that.

Nintendo experiments with the Zelda series in several departments in every installment be it art style or hardware integration. What expectable inclusion in Zelda Wii U would make you grimace at the thought of playing it? Is another round of motion controls not your thing, are you opposed to more Toon Link games, or is the return of the magic meter something that would render Zelda Wii U more a chore than an exciting journey?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Worst case scenario would be for them to... well, make a bad game. They haven't produced one yet, though, even though they've slipped up lately, so I highly doubt that will happen -- I actually expect them to fix a lot of things and improve even further over modern Zelda than they did with Skyward Sword -- but... yeah, that's really all I can say on the subject lol.

Or this could happen. http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f9/yarn-zelda-40200.html

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The worst case scenario for Zelda Wii U through my eyes is that it retains Skyward Sword's combat style alongside the heavy motion control integration. I don't know about you, but constantly manipulating enemies through the wave of a wand isn't my favorite way of playing Zelda. Loopholes are too easily found that way; I really desire traditional controls this time around.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Worst case scenario for me is for ZeldaU to feature Wind Waker/Skyward Sword's cell shaded toon graphics.

This will be enough to kill all interest in it for me. If it turns out ZeldaU has that same artstyle then I'll stop paying attention and pass on ZeldaU entirely.

I don't care how well it plays (although making it dependent on overwrought motion controls again will also turn me off hard). I don't care how fantastic the story is. If ZeldaU has toon graphics I am not playing it. People say graphics are only superficial and I used to believe that, but I have since come to realize what a difference a game's choice in aesthetic makes. The toon Zeldas fail to capture that wonderful feeling I get when exploring the regions of Zelda's fantasy lands. The cell shaded aesthetic just does not capture that feeling, and to me that feeling is the biggest draw. Without it, much of the experience is killed for me. With Nintendo wanting to focus on non-linear dungeon progression it seems as though they're finally going back to a focus on player-driven exploration and discovery. The wondrous feeling that accompanies that will be lost on me if they use toon shading.

So, yeah, Nintendo's choice in graphics will make it or break it for me. Whether or not I invest in ZeldaU (and by extension WiiU) hinges on whether or not Nintendo goes with the toon graphics again.

Other than that, if Ninty goes for another M+ blowout I'll be turned off hard. Both features are massive misuses of the WiiU's capabilities, seeing as how it features HD graphics and a touch screen controller. If Nintendo does either of these two things I will be convinced that they're just not with it anymore. I hope they're not so foolish.

Hmm..

The return of a limited compulsory travel system
The return of a divided overworld
The return of Motion controls up the wazzoo

Cel shaded visuals and young Link - while these would never throw me off, i think the pinnacle of Cel shading for Zelda was found in WW, either do that art-style entirely again or just don't do it. I also prefer older Link to young Link, i won't mind playing a game with him wholly but i'd prefer to be in control of adult Link.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
WWHD Graphics
Non-Linearity
Multi-Player (say hello to FS3)
Compulsory travel system
Compulsory travel system with no combat or action
Sidequest>Mainquest focus
No personality partner
Annoying partner
Tingle
Magic Meter

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
Multi-Player (say hello to FS3)

This is my biggest fear. I love these games partly because I don't need another person playing with me to enjoy them.

Compulsory travel system
Compulsory travel system with no combat or action

Also on my list of top things that would be disappointing, especially after TP seemed to make such positive advances towards combative travel.

Non-Linearity

I have to disagree on this one, I think non-linearity, if done well (which, I'll admit, is a big if), would be a breath of fresh air.

IMO there is no such thing as a bad Zelda game since they're all great in my eyes. BUT there are things I prefer over others and things that have disappointed me. I loved Skyward Sword but it did disappoint me in several ways.

1) the repetitive bosses - ghirahim three times, the imprisoned three times, the scorpion twice, the skeleton warrior twice. My favorite things about Zelda are the bosses and the dungeons. Both were lacking in SS. I want different villains for bosses and mini- bosses.

2) the short, repetitive dungeons - especially the earth temple. That was way too short. And limiting the temples and areas to only three elements was weak. I wanted more diversity and fresher ideas. The final dungeon being just a amalgam of everything that came before was too repetitive.

3) the empty sky/lack of secret areas and caves - the sky should've had more to it.

Those are my gripes with SS so I really don't want 1 and 2 repeated with Zelda Wii U. Give me a different boss and mini-boss each time, and larger and more diverse temples. That will make me a happy camper. I do appreciate non-linearity and open world environments but those are not requirements. The other issues are much more important to me.

.:Brony:.

Head Brony of ZD
Worst case scenario = Everything is the same as every other game, but with better graphics. No creativity, same generic items, same patterns.

I wanna see some mind boggling puzzles, that would be sweet. LoZ puzzles are rly too easy to figure out and don't require a lot of brain power, just a lot of patience. Like, most of the time the puzzle is rly straight forward, but it requires a lot of doing **** and running around and around, and around..

(Doubt it will be this way tho.)

I don't want a bratty partner who I'm supposed to like later on. Tetra and Midna were enough.

The game needs to find a new kind of way to explaining why you can't get to a certain level. With both Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword, the full overworld wasn't available yet. I don't mind if you can't access everything at the start, just don't make the story progression too similar to past games.

After poor villains like Bellum and Malladus, we need villains with more personality. Not Ghirahim's kind of personality, but more like Demise. Even with Demise's limited amount of screen time, I still felt that he exhibited more of a personality than the DS villains.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
1) the repetitive bosses - ghirahim three times, the imprisoned three times, the scorpion twice, the skeleton warrior twice. My favorite things about Zelda are the bosses and the dungeons. Both were lacking in SS. I want different villains for bosses and mini- bosses.

It's fair to personally prefer to not see bosses return, but it's not fair to call SS's recurring bosses repetitive. (I know I defend SS a lot, but just hear me out. I only do it for good reasons, after all.) Each of these had different elements added onto them each time (except Scaldara, but the entire point of that was to catch you off guard and play off the fact that it was possible for more than one Scaldera to exist). Ghirahim even had a completely different third fight. Again, it's not fair to call them repetitive when they have an extra layer of depth added onto them when they appear again, as that's... well, the opposite of repetitive.

Kirby's Epic Yarn was a pretty good game though...

It was just a joke. :/

The worst case scenario for me is if they go to far with non-linearity and multi-player.

Now, I don't think either one of these things are bad if done right(especially non-linearity) but Nintendo seems awful excited, and I have a fear that they're going to go way to far and take out things that worked perfectly to help fit their idea of what they want for this new game.

I would love to have some non-linearity, but I don't want them to sacrifice plot and character development for a game where you can access all the dungeons at once. And I really hope they don't sacrifice puzzles for more time spent on the non-linear world.

And though I'm not an ultra fan of the multi-player, I think it might work if not done in the traditional way. For instance, I like the idea of using the Wii-U to look up hints from other players. I think this is the most likely thing to happen, but still the worst case scenario is if they made it so you had to have someone else play to complete a quest.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
The worst case scenario for me is if they go to far with non-linearity and multi-player.

Now, I don't think either one of these things are bad if done right(especially non-linearity) but Nintendo seems awful excited, and I have a fear that they're going to go way to far and take out things that worked perfectly to help fit their idea of what they want for this new game.

I would love to have some non-linearity, but I don't want them to sacrifice plot and character development for a game where you can access all the dungeons at once. And I really hope they don't sacrifice puzzles for more time spent on the non-linear world.

And though I'm not an ultra fan of the multi-player, I think it might work if not done in the traditional way. For instance, I like the idea of using the Wii-U to look up hints from other players. I think this is the most likely thing to happen, but still the worst case scenario is if they made it so you had to have someone else play to complete a quest.
I wouldent mind a non story driven game. Just an exploer an unknown land type game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom