• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

World Of Dark Souls

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
After spending some more time immersing myself in FromSoft's incredibly subtle approach to world building, I feel like I'm finally gaining a better understanding of how the three Dark Souls games fit together. I feel that I'm close to a reasonable timeline but I think having people to discuss with would be helpful. So if you've played the souls games, join right in. If you haven't, try them out (1 and 3 are rated M so be sure that's okay first).

For a long time I thought DS2 had to be a sequel to DS3. It didn't make sense for almost all of lordrans culture to be completely forgotten especially if it's held close in DS3. I do believe Drangleic and Lothric are both built on the ruins of Lordran. But I was missing a key factor that gets used as an excuse so often that I didn't even consider it.

The flow of time in lordran isn't linear. And in fact, Lothric itself was pulled from another period of time entirely, as seen in the small lothric banner item description. What does this imply? It resolves practically any continuity errors that would have existed from DS1 to DS2 and so forth. Pieces of both Lordran and Drangleic are being pulled to DS3's time period. The lordvessel is both the lordvessel from DS1, now containing the profane flame, and the broken lordvessel from DS2. In the same way that Manus was able to pull the Chosen Undead to the past, something about the nature of Lordran means the same happens spontaneously with entire regions. Farron Keep and Anor Londo aren't geographically correct, because they were pulled from different locations in space-time. Irythyll very well could be Oolacile.

Maybe you already arrived at the same conclusion and I'm a dummy dumdum but I was excited when some pieces of lore finally clicked together.

This also makes me wonder if Nintendo official timeline was a mistake

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
My interpretation is that the nonlinear flow of time doesn't really affect big stuff like places and key events, but is largely responsible for locations like the Ringed City in Dark Souls 3 (which is literally a conglomeration of ruined levels from other games), and the lore for the summons. Summoned characters are apparently just different timelines and realities briefly intersecting with yours.

Mikey the Moblin

My interpretation is that the nonlinear flow of time doesn't really affect big stuff like places and key events, but is largely responsible for locations like the Ringed City in Dark Souls 3 (which is literally a conglomeration of ruined levels from other games), and the lore for the summons. Summoned characters are apparently just different timelines and realities briefly intersecting with yours.
Now that I've played dark souls 2 I understand the significance of earthen peak ruins as a location haha
It also makes me wonder if there could be a connection between iron keep and the twin demons
We do know at least that something caused Lothric to appear suddenly so I'm assuming it's a space-time thing

Mikey the Moblin

There's a small but loud minority of fans who love dark souls 2 over the other souls games and while I'll never understand this due to the game's general unplayability I've been slowly starting to appreciate the work that was put into some of the dungeon design
While DS1 and ds3 have fairly integrated dungeon spaces, I'm noticing that ds2 has more delineation between what is and isn't a dungeon, and the dungeons honestly have the capacity to be masterpieces, if only the game's mechanical systems allowed me to enjoy them

The weirdest thing to me is that I never see the ds2 defenders talking about this despite it being arguably one of the only good unique things ds2 has going for it

Dark Souls 2 is the weakest of the trilogy, but it's great. I definitely had the most fun with multiplayer in that one. After 3 came out and was almost as gray as Bloodborne, I really came to appreciate how bright and colorful it is.

Mikey the Moblin

Dark Souls 2 is the weakest of the trilogy, but it's great. I definitely had the most fun with multiplayer in that one. After 3 came out and was almost as gray as Bloodborne, I really came to appreciate how bright and colorful it is.
I can agree that the pvp is stronger in DS2 than it is in other entries, but I hate pvp. I'm also not a fan of the brightness of ds2 specifically since it feels "plastic" lighting (look at the character models for what I mean)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom