• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Words/Phrases That Make You Cringe

Imprisoned

*~German Sparkle Party~*
Any kind of shortened terms, abbreviations not included. Also, language people 'my age' use.
I earned myself some less-than-savory nicknames involving slang..

P

Poppy Frost

I dislike "y'all" and "ya think" and of course YOLO, swag and stuff. A lot of the things people my age say these days annoys me.

I dislike "y'all" and "ya think" and of course YOLO, swag and stuff. A lot of the things people my age say these days annoys me.

I use "y'all" more often online so people know I'm referring to a group of people. The plural "you" hasn't really helped me out in chat rooms and things get kind of messy.

Whenever I say "swag" or "yolo", at least where I live, it's all a complete joke. We'll be like, "who needs to PAY ATTENTION IN CLASS when you have SWAG?" And yolo when we do something completely stupid but second-guessed ourselves anyways, etc. it's pretty funny if you're using it in the exaggerated sense, heeheehee.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
My little brother will sometimes randomly (and and I think rudely) say abbreviations used in text messages instead of actual words! :mad:
I just do't under stand neither of us have a phone. ...just stupid.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
Yolo, swag, u mad bro, cancer, ratchet, come at me bro, and the n word among others I can't think of atm are all ones that will usually irritate me.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
"Will you go out with me?"
"My girlfriend/boyfriend broke up with me"
"I'm depressed"
"Nothing's wrong"
"I need a girl so bad!"

All of those phrases annoy me to no end. It's a shame, really, because they're honest phrases (coming from most people) but they're so overused and abused that...they are just bleh to me.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I hate the words YOLO, Swag, and any derogatory names that are really offensive, such as racist terms (especially n*****, it bothers me so much!) or words against homosexuals (like fa**ot).

Oh, and, I hate it when people type letters for words (how r u), I find it incredibly annoying

Omniscient Link

Deity of Courage
The F word and any of the phrases that contain any forms of the F word. Seriously, I had been raised in a way that the F word is a serious taboo and I despise anyone who include the F word to talk to anyone (even if they're not directed at me).

You know, that four-lettered F word that is equivalent to the word 'intercourse'.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
"Pull yourself up by your bootstraps." _ It's more often than not used to judge and to victim-blame people when they are at their weakest. There's a character in one of my original (non-fanfic) short stories that talks about "making a noose out of bootstraps" to hang herself with just to proove a point, her ulitimate answer to this pig-ignorant phrase.

"tl;dr" (which stands for "Too long, didn't read.") Pisses me right the hell off because insulting someone for their word-count has got to be the very best way to flaunt one's own stupidity and laziness. If something is "too long" for you to read, why the fudge are you replying?

"Grow up" - when used in response to someone's beliefs or hobby preferences. For instance, I'm somewhere other than here and I mention that I like playing videogames and some troll comes along to tell me to stop wasting my life doing something I enjoy that they just don't get and to "grow up." My response to that is a hearty "Pttffffffff!" Someone once yelled at me to "grow up" over something completely different in real life... I had to walk away so as to supress the almost overpowering urge I had to hit them with a rake. I hate that phrase that much.

Omniscient Link

Deity of Courage
Shadsie, if a poster writes a long post and then ends the long post with a very short summary of what was being said by putting it as tl;dr in that poster's own post -- would that aggravate you as well?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Shadsie, if a poster writes a long post and then ends the long post with a very short summary of what was being said by putting it as tl;dr in that poster's own post -- would that aggravate you as well?

It doesn't bother me if people do it to themselves.

What annoys me is people doing it to others for cheap snark. I used to read Fandom Wank ages ago (back when I was one of their targets... not that I didn't deserve it really, but still)... one of the things that ensured I would never respect that community was how everyone was "td;lr" ing at each other and at any target that came along to try to defend themselves. Sort of the Internet equivalent of "talk to the hand, 'cause the face ain't listening" - which I also hate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom