• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Windows/ Mac Switch

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
No this is not a typical Mac vs Windows topic. People tend to say Mac vs PC but that's a mistake since a Mac is also a PC :P
My question is what applications/functions would you wish to add to the other? For instance Mac has a very easy drag and drop function. You don't have to go through the whole procedure to remove a program. You can simply drag it to the trash. Or drag a file to the right folder. I wish Windows had the same feature.
Get my point? Share your thoughts!

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I just find the general way a Mac is navigated much user friendly than a Windows PC, like the three finger swipe to move between programs, the two finger to go back and forward in the browser etc would make Windows computers easier to navigate too.
I do have Microsoft Office on my Mac though as I find it easy to use.

Austin

Austin
For instance Mac has a very easy drag and drop function. You don't have to go through the whole procedure to remove a program. You can simply drag it to the trash. Or drag a file to the right folder. I wish Windows had the same feature.

Just an aside, I actually really dislike this feature because it can make it very difficult to cleanly remove applications off of the system. With some programs, you may drag the application icon itself into the trash, giving the illusion that you've uninstalled it, but it still leaves various files in your Library that can still affect your system. For example, I cannot remember which program it was, but it was one that left a little icon on the upper toolbar. Instead of just uninstalling it, I had to both remove the application icon into the trash and go hunting in the Library for various files to entirely purge the application from the system and get rid of the now-useless icon still clinging to the toolbar.

Coming back to the topic, I can't think of much that I actually like about OSX. The one thing that comes to mind is the platform's stability caused by the superior drivers Apple machines tend to have due to Apple controlling what specific hardware can go into each machine. I can't really think of any sort of practical way Microsoft could implement this short of adopting the same business model which would be awful, but if I could just wish for something like better stability without going into specifics, that's what I would wish for. Maybe OSX's terminal as well following the same principle of general wishes without going into specifics.

As for what I'd like to bring to OSX, I'd like to just have one taskbar which I can also pin applications too, rather than having both a dock and that upper toolbar. Or just an option to turn the dock off. There's a way to sorta remove it by shrinking it down to microscopic size via a terminal command, but this is messy and doesn't entirely get rid of it. It just makes it less obtrusive. I'd also like it if Apple would start producing mouses with two buttons? Touch gestures are fine with the trackpad but for an actual mouse, which I prefer to use if I'm not in public with a laptop, the Ctrl-click or whatever doesn't really cut it.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I have to agree with you there Austin because I too had to go through not only the libraries but also other parts of my Mac to remove an application but I like the drag and drop thing in general.
I like the photobooth thing in mac too. The effects it has. I would like to add this to windows although it is not a necessary thing

Clank

Hmm
Ok, first a disclaimer I use Linux which has all of these elements...

So from Windows to OSX.

Having complete control over your computer(aka apple has no say in what I can/can't do).
Decent OpenGL support from drivers.

OSX to WIndows
Ease of use.
Shinyness.

That is all.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Honestly I wish that Windows had Final Cut Pro; I do not know of any video editing software that is as good looking, diverse, and easy to use like it on Windows (but maybe I haven't looked). Aside from that, I shall go with Clank's input of shineyness from MAC to Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom