• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Windfish in Skyword Sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SongOfTime

***Minor Spoilers***

In Skyward Sword we meet Levias. I noticed he closely resembles the Windfish from Link's Awakening. I know they are seperated by hundreds of years but could they somehow be connected? What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kroni

Geez what a dismissive bunch of posters I've seen around here. Doesn't anyone like drawing connections to things anymore without it being literally spelled out for them?

I personally noticed a connection between Levias and the cloud pirahnas from Minish Cap. Perhaps Levias had children that evolved into the cloud pirahnas.

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
I honestly can't say I really see anything that resembles Levias to the Windfish except for them both being giant flying whales. While flying whales are fairly unique creatures, I personally think Levias more resembles an old creature that is about to die, rather than something that is to evolve into the Windfish. I think it seems slightly more likely (based on appearance and timeline-placement) that Jabu-Jabu evolves into the Windfish, but yeah. I honestly can't say I see the resemblance.

No. If there were to be a connection, there would be some kind of obvious reference, like all the connections between SS and OoT were (Geapora, the Goddess Harp = Sheik's lyre, Impa, etc.). It's honestly as simple as that.
We really can't use this as proof of anything...

There could be a connection there. I haven't played LA (curse me with hellfire) so don't really know much on the topic. The connection might not be as simple as them being the same being though.

I knew where this was going when I read the thread title. And, no. In my opinion, it is highly unlikely that Levias has any connection to the Windfish. There are quite a few whale/fish characters in these games, and I think it is symbolic of their greatness.

Moving on, I almost think Levias might have something to do with Valoo and the Ritos at one point. Er, well, it emphasises that he is fish-like, like Jabu-Jabu, but is also referred to as the "Great Sky Spirit", like Valoo. And this is not a theory, so don't mistake it for one and correct me *coughjuiciejcoughxD*. It's simply an observation. I happen to make these a lot, so... nerm.

Well, I must admit, they look quite similar in some instances, and they both have an affinity towards music, but I doubt there's any direct connection between the two beings. There's also the Owl (of whom some believe might share a connection to Kaepora Gaebora (Rauru), in spite of what Hyrule Historia revealed) who tells Link about the Wind Fish in Link's Awakening. If anything, however, there's probably a loose connection the likes of an Easter Egg or reference, but nothing of importance.
Wind Fish
Closest resemblance to Levias (artwork)
Wind_Fish.png

Colorful Addition (doesn't look very much like Levias here, IMO)
Wind_Fish.gif

Levias (in-game render)
619px-Levias.png

Hmm... I kinda wish there were a connection, though. This, to me, presents the perfect opportunity for retcon. [noparse]=/[/noparse]

I can't really notice much of a connection with that artwork provided. Apart from the fact they are all whales, there's not much there.

mandym287 said:
Moving on, I almost think Levias might have something to do with Valoo and the Ritos at one point. Er, well, it emphasises that he is fish-like, like Jabu-Jabu, but is also referred to as the "Great Sky Spirit", like Valoo. And this is not a theory, so don't mistake it for one and correct me *coughjuiciejcoughxD*. It's simply an observation. I happen to make these a lot, so... nerm.
I quite like this idea. There's nothing to back it up of course but it makes sense. Although, it couldn't have gone Levias - JabuJabu - Valoo as we also see Jabun in WW who is clearly supposed to represent Jabu-Jabu in some form. I'd look further into it, but I doubt I'd find anything :P

S

SkywardSword596

I dont think we can draw too much conclusions, because most of links awakening took place in the wind fishes dream. We dont know a lot about him, other than the fact that theyare whales, and they fly. And also, skyward sword has so many references to other games that this may be another reference.

S

SongOfTime

Thanks guys, I didn't think there was any connection but I thought I'd throw it out there to hear everyone's opinion on it.

Megamannt125

Blue Link
The Wind Fish could be a descendant of Levias. Hyrule Historia says that Jabun isn't Jabu-Jabu for instance, but a descendant of him. Could be the same case here.

Hmm... Perhaps at some point - in Skyward Sword's early character concept stages - Levias was going to be [somehow] connected to the Wind Fish. This is doubtful. But keep in mind that this is often the case in many games. Oftentimes many things we see in the final product were something entirely different in the early stages of development. Some characters might have different role or place in the story, or a different design, etc. Some designs, concepts, and/or ideas are scrapped altogether. However, in some cases those scrapped concepts are recycled and refined only to appear in a new game in the series. One instance of this can purportedly be found in beta files of our favorite games, like OoT. The beta Blue Fairy's design [found in beta OoT] is believed by many to have inspired the Great Fairies of the Wind Waker. Whether or not this is the case with Levias/Wind Fish remains to be seen, and to reiterate, I find it doubtful that any significant connection exists at all. I still stand in my opinion that this is likely nothing more than a reference, if anything.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Don't know if it has a direct connection with the wind fish, but it is obviously a reference. Seeing that this is the 25th anniversary zelda game, i think the developers put in alot of refrences of other zelda games in it, including this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom