• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wind Waker with Realistic Graphics.....

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Just had a random thought, how about if Wind Waker was remade but this time with the realistic graphics we seen in Twilight Princess as well as some darker themes!

I loved Wind Waker, it definitely stands on its own in terms of charm and adventure in the Zelda series but how awesome would it be if they remade Wind Waker but made it more realistic.

Whatnot you guys think and what others games would you like to see remade but with a different graphical style or theme?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
image.jpg

I believe this is from a gaming magazine from a few years back that said The Wind Waker was being remade with Twilight Princess graphics as an April Fool's joke. Or something like that, I forget exactly.

Anyway, for me a lot of the joy of TWW comes from the art style so I don't think I would be so eager to see it remade with more realistic graphics.

shogun_zidane

将軍 ジタン
Like I said in another thread I don't think it would work. I certainly would play it of course. Wind Waker would feel foreign without it's cel shading IMO. I would certainly like to see Twilight Princess with Skyward Sword's graphics, that would be crazy.

Deeds

no text
I think part of the magic that is The Wind Waker, is the fact that it has the toon-shaded visuals. Good dungeons, etc. are also bonuses.
I, personally, would not want this with realistic graphics - just because I don't think it would suit them.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I know What made WW special was the cel shade graphics and the charm that came with that but imagine if it was remade in this way....would you like this?

bunny

birb overlord
Just like what the others have said, The Wind Waker was intended to have a cute cartoon art style. I wouldn't want to see that ever change; even if it were just a remake. It would just feel totally weird. When I first saw TWW in my local game store, I wanted it because it looked adorable. Basically, the cel-shading is what got me interested in it in the first place.

In short, no, I wouldn't like it if TWW were remade with realistic graphics.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
That would be great. Honestly, Wind Waker was the worst game to put Cell Shading into. It makes the ocean so boring, which is pretty disappointing seeing how water is the one of the most visually pleasing things a developer can make if used with the right graphic style as seen by other games of the same system like SMS and TP. Not only that, but it limits game play too. Ironically, Wind Waker is one of the few Zelda games that doesn't have a water temple. And it's because they couldn't get Link underwater. And that's because the water isn't see-through. And THAT is because they made the foolish mistake of cell shading it.

Along with a more visually pleasing ocean, we would also get decent looking characters and a Ganondorf that can actually intimidate me...rather than cause me to burst into a fit of giggles.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Something WW had more of than a lot of the other main console Zelda games, I find, is expressiveness and humor, the "charm or magic" of the game as many have already pointed out. The art style contributed a lot to both. I think WW would lose more than it would gain with a different art style.

WW Link was one of the, if not possibly THE most expressive Link we've seen. OoT and MM Link had no real personality, TP Link did, but it was mostly bland, SS Link was better but still not quite there for me. WW Link reacted to everything, from his sleepy surprised face at the beginning all the way to his sad desperation at the King's sacrifice at the end, and everywhere in between (annoyance at the Hero's Clothes, embarrassment from the Fairy Queen, the entire cannon to the Fortress sequence, etc). The art style was simple, crisp, exaggerated, vibrant, it amplified his expressions in a way that would have been lost with a more realistic style.

The same applies to the humorous elements of the game, which included everything from story (see again cannon sequence) to enemy design (ever poke a Moblin's backside?) to even minor things like his face when he's lifting something heavy (seriously, pick up the giant pig and tell me TP Link could pull off that face). Cartoon exaggeration is what makes things like that possible.

Without the toon graphics, WW would just feel like a less epic OoT to me, honestly. WW is not the most epic storyline, you aren't faced with imminent destruction, there is no air of danger or immediacy, you aren't a "Chosen Hero", you're just a kid who wants to get his sister back, then find yourself unable to turn your back on the greater good. But what WW lacks in epic it makes up for in charm. It just would not be the same game without that charm.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
WW Link was one of the, if not possibly THE most expressive Link we've seen. OoT and MM Link had no real personality, TP Link did, but it was mostly bland, SS Link was better but still not quite there for me. WW Link reacted to everything, from his sleepy surprised face at the beginning all the way to his sad desperation at the King's sacrifice at the end, and everywhere in between (annoyance at the Hero's Clothes, embarrassment from the Fairy Queen, the entire cannon to the Fortress sequence, etc). The art style was simple, crisp, exaggerated, vibrant, it amplified his expressions in a way that would have been lost with a more realistic style.

None of these things were due to the art style. The art style made it easier to do, I guess, but that was just the style of the game itself. Plus, it had better hardware than before. The N64 couldn't really do facial expressions well, so it wasn't a thing Nintendo attempted to do much. As far as after The Wind Waker goes, Twilight Princess was a more serious game, so goofy expressions would have clashed with that, and Skyward Sword was like a mixture between its TWW and TP in tone, so it being halfway there makes complete sense.

Now I'm not trying to argue your points, or anything. I agree that the Cel-shaded style fit The Wind Waker perfectly, and I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm just saying it's not all on the art style. That was just a compliment to the game's tone, and that's what allowed Link to be so expressive.

Donutwizard

The Angry Mask Salesman
I would love to see this but wind wakers graphics are so good already. BTW to everybody who says WW is stupid because it's cartoony, it's SIMPLISTIC.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I don't think this would be a good idea because Wind Waker has been one of the more whimsical (for lack of a better word) or colorful games in the Zelda series. Changing the graphic style to a more realistic style would be an overly drastic change to the game making it not feel like Wind Waker.

No. Just no. I can imagine a WW with TP style graphics, and that doesn't appeal to me one bit. I grew up with that game, and I know it inside and out. Seeing it in any form other than the beautiful cel-shading that Nintendo chose would just be plain startling to me. In my mind, Wind Waker was not meant for "realistic" graphics. I will say that a game like Wind Waker (what with the sailing and all that) would be interesting and even pretty awesome looking in those kinds of graphics, but the Wind Waker story would not. Perhaps, if I were introduced to the concept of seeing it in TP graphics early on, I would have said yes, but at this point, it'd just be altering my childhood.

Like the others, I think WW needs to keep the art style it has should a remake or re-release ever happen. It'd be pointless to change an art-style which pretty much proved itself to the gaming public as a good idea as time went on, WW is a very good game and the art style goes a long way to making it what the game is.

Realistic visuals however perhaps would have added a little to WW, sailing at night over realistic waves would have looked simple gorgeous in a kind of TP HD lighting kind of a way, shimmering waves and realistic splashes, and perhaps being able to see the ruins of Hyrule beneath the clear water's waves during the day when the sun was bright enough and the water was shallow enough...

but then WW wouldn;t have been magical, impressive yes but not magical and i think its the art style which helps WW cover up a lot of its draw backs because it assaults you with its happiness and care free feel that you just melt and forgive =]

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Facial expressions even in WW were simply a change of texture. Something the N64 could handle no problem at all, something most older consoles way before the N64 could handle actually. The fact that OoT Link was far less expressive was a conscious choice (or lazy overlook) taken by the devs.

N64 textures could have been used better than they were in OoT, but the technical limitations definitely didn't help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom