• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wind Waker: Why So Many Haters?

From what I gather, the common complaints were its art style (at first), the tedious sailing, and how easy it was.

The sailing thing and lack of difficulty are probably true, but it was my introduction to the series so I couldn't possibly hate it. :)

I don't think people hate on this game that much anymore. Only reason why people hated so much cause of the cell shading, cartoon-y art style as prior posts have already commented on, but honestly cell shaded games age really well, and retain their beauty rather than games that are drawn out traditionally tend to look dated as time goes by. Most games ten years ago looked bleh, but Wind Waker is among the most beautiful looking games out there due to its beautiful art design.

As for the difficulty, it was easy because most puzzles in the Zelda games are similar to each other, and by Wind Waker, people already know the drill.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
People don't like Wind Waker because they "judge it by it's cover". They looked at the cartoony graphics and thought "This is a kiddy game". I personally love the game. The story is amazing, the gameplay is great, and the graphics are fantastic, in my opinion. It also has the Great Sea, which people say is empty, but I think it does exploration right. This game is nearly flawless, in my opinion.

I think Wind Waker has a solid story. You don't start your quest to go after items to get the Master Sword or some other item like other Zelda games. You start your quest for personally reasons; Link's sister was kidnapped. People might not have liked that because Link actually has a character and people don't like when things are different.

The gameplay is basic 3d Zelda gameplay, but it feels better with the Gamecube controller. That's just my opinion though because I love the Gamecube controller.

I love the graphics in this game. I actually want another cel shaded Zelda game. I don't get why people hate it. My mom says that "everything is wrong" which doesn't make sense to me. The colors are amazing. They are bright when they need to be and dark when they need to be. People bash it because it's "childish", but I just think it's unique. I also like to point out that I think I remember hearing that people demanded a realistic Zelda and then bashed Twilight Princess' graphics. There's just no winning.

People also bash it because of the Great Sea. I agree, it's kind of empty, but I actually liked exploring it. If it was smaller then the exploration wouldn't be there because everything would be easier to find. It feels more adventurous to me.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
People also bash it because of the Great Sea. I agree, it's kind of empty, but I actually liked exploring it. If it was smaller then the exploration wouldn't be there because everything would be easier to find. It feels more adventurous to me.

I don't think the size of the overworld is the problem, but rather the size of the islands. The water-to-land ratio is really, really pathetic. Again, ACIV. Huge world with a large amount of water, but also lots of large land portions to balance it out. I know people always say, "But sailing was a major part of the game!", and I know this, but it's not like that factor would be diminished by having larger islands. Were the steamboat and train any less important to the DS games because they had relatively large land portions? I think not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom