• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Wind Waker HD- the Wrong Choice?

WWHD? Is it a bad decision?

• Yep

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope

• Undecided

• Total voters

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
So Zelda's first HD and Wii U game is WWHD. Why? There was another game people have wanted really badly for some time. A remake of MM! It's been wanted on 3DS and even Wii U for some time. Its an amazing and under-appreciated game. It's been loved by fans and critics. A remake of this game on the Wii U could seriously boost the fledgling console and bring back one of the best games ever like we've never seen it before.

Why the Wind Waker? It's decent, but it lacks the darkness and memorable characters of MM, and a follow-up to OoT3D seems natural! Why Nintendo? :-(

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Can't say there's a right/wrong choice regarding Nintendo because they don't really deal in consumer satisfaction the way fans do.

That beign said, Majora's Mask 3D is the right choice. :right:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I think it is because Nintendo does not give in to peer pressure.

I'm serious. Operation Moonfall had a massive fanbase, so Nintendo probably wanted to surprise us. I know if I were a game designer, I would get tired of so many people telling me what to do. I would pretty much just say "**** you, I do what I want," which I think is exactly what Nintendo did.

Also, The Wind Waker is a much better candidate to test how HD would look in any graphical style. Majora's Mask would end up looking too dark and realistic, so Nintendo would not know how a cartoony game like TWW would look in HD. It is much better that they did it this way, instead of creating a brand new game that looks absolutely terrible.

ILU

i luv u
So Zelda's first HD and Wii U game is WWHD. Why? There was another game people have wanted really badly for some time. A remake of MM! It's been wanted on 3DS and even Wii U for some time. Its an amazing and under-appreciated game. It's been loved by fans and critics. A remake of this game on the Wii U could seriously boost the fledgling console and bring back one of the best games ever like we've never seen it before.

Why the Wind Waker? It's decent, but it lacks the darkness and memorable characters of MM, and a follow-up to OoT3D seems natural! Why Nintendo? :-(

Lacking darkness doesn't make it less deserving of a remake. You and many others may like MM's darkness more, but myself and many others like the artsy lightness. BOTH had very memorable characters.

Anyway, the real reason WHY should be obvious: MONEY. They were using it play around with new styles for Zelda Wii U and created TWW HD's style by accident. It was too pretty to cast aside, so they decided to give us something to play with while we wait for ZWU, because waiting half a decade sucks. And this guarantees money. And it's less expensive and less time consuming to apply new textures to an old game than it is to completely rehaul something like MM in the way they did for OoT.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
And it's less expensive and less time consuming to apply new textures to an old game than it is to completely rehaul something like MM in the way they did for OoT.

They already have the engine for MM3D (remember that MM reused OoT's engine) and they got MM completed in about a year. I really don't see how TWWHD would be easier to make compared to MM3D. :I

ILU

i luv u
They already have the engine for MM3D (remember that MM reused OoT's engine) and they got MM completed in about a year. I really don't see how TWWHD would be easier to make compared to MM3D. :I
They COULD use the OoT3D engine and models, but I don't know if they'd have to pay Grezzo extra or not to use it and create extra textures and models not found in OoT. Licensing is probably something to take into consideration there. Gotta take money and time into consideration when considering how easy or difficult it would be to reboot.

Not that I disagree that MM should be remade- it definitely SHOULD! But, TWW HD is faster and cheaper and doesn't require a third party (as far as I know).

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
As annoying as the fans are when it comes to this...I think MM would have been a better choice. One could argue this is because MM should be released on the 3DS (and I'd agree it should), but Nintendo shows no sign of doing this and yet they choose to remake tWW in HD...not only does tWW benefit the least from HD, but it's also the most "famously bad game" in the sense that it turned away the most people from the series.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
but it's also the most "famously bad game" in the sense that it turned away the most people from the series.

It may have drawn some people away, but you can't really say it's a "famously bad game." It is one of the highest rated Zelda games, and was awarded game of the year in 2003 by GameSpot.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
They probably think MM is a bad game no one wants...
They just branded Starfox and OoT for easy sales.

MM 3d would literally take so little dev time compared to a full game, they have the engine, most of the resources, all the map/ level design figured out, the only real part is the legal mumbo jumbo, and the actual work to make it. Maybe they'd want a master quest MM too though, that would be pretty awesome and merit a buy. I regret not owning a physical copy of MM any more, and would happily buy another one.

Though between MM3d and MM HD? if the HD would look like that fan made fake trailer, then it would be hard to pass up. then again MM3d with a master quest mirrored mode like OoT would also be impossible to pass up. Infact I bet alot of people would feel alot better about MM on the 3ds, because you can just close the lid to stop playing at any moment. Thus the 3 day system is no longer a real hindrance to enjoying the game.

I'm not against Wind Waker HD, but I'm not entirely excited about it either.

The way I see it, The Wind Waker HD has pretty much killed the idea of Majora's Mask coming to the Wii U, which I think is a relief. I'm all for a Remake of Majora's Mask, but I wouldn't want it on the Wii U, I'd rather have it on the 3DS where it belongs.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Anyway, the real reason WHY should be obvious: MONEY. They were using it play around with new styles for Zelda Wii U and created TWW HD's style by accident. It was too pretty to cast aside[...] And this guarantees money.

It does feel like something like this may have happened; they decided to use it as a test (not necessarily for ZWU, perhaps just more generally) and it turned out better than they expected, and decided they might as well market it. In their eyes, Toon Link's probably a guaranteed seller (because d'aww cuteness), compared to digging up a 'black sheep'. Though, that's not to say WW is all cute and fluffiness, and plenty of folks (myself included) would love to see MM make a reappearance, and hopefully Nintendo will recognise that at some point... that point evidently isn't yet. Don't think it's necessarily killed the chances of MMHD, but... I kinda agree MM would work better on the 3DS... and that coupled with the fact I have so much love for WW, I'm not too sad about their decision... c: Even though I don't plan on getting a WiiU anytime soon.. It's still nice to see some WW love.

With WW they can literally just convert it to HD and it will look gorgeous because of the graphical style and the fact that it was a GC game.
They would pretty much have to completely remake MM for it to benefit from HD and I'm sure it would be pretty costly to do so.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
MM would be on 3DS as a sequel to OOT 3DS, so it should not be on wii U.

WW was a good decision to remake. It is over 10 years old now and some people say the original looks timeless, however I would say the new look improves on the old in a big way and the game will benefit from HD allot. It is still a bit soon for a TP remake and for SS it is way too soon, so WW is the most obvious choice for an HD remake on Wii U.

MM would be on 3DS as a sequel to OOT 3DS, so it should not be on wii U.

WW was a good decision to remake. It is over 10 years old now and some people say the original looks timeless, however I would say the new look improves on the old in a big way and the game will benefit from HD allot. It is still a bit soon for a TP remake and for SS it is way too soon, so WW is the most obvious choice for an HD remake on Wii U.

With WW they can literally just convert it to HD and it will look gorgeous because of the graphical style and the fact that it was a GC game.
They would pretty much have to completely remake MM for it to benefit from HD and I'm sure it would be pretty costly to do so.

They have not simply converted WW to HD they have created a different style and given it a new look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom