• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will Zelda Get better or worse?

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
There is such a thing as too easy (PH), barely a challenge (TP), and actual challenge (OOT/MM.) Now PH was fun, but when a game is too easy, alot of the fun factor will disappear. When puzzles are so easy to solve you feel less like you accomplished something and more like you just got through one small obstacle. When you kill an enemy who never laid a finger on you, you question on why it wasn't harder if that enemy had a cutscene.
Why should a boss be so easy that they can't hurt you, it's cool the first time. But is it fun to fight that easy boss a second time? A challenging boss at least brings the tension of the first encounter with them. But the boss must also have a fun factor, which two of PH's bosses had for me. Grayk was fun despite being easy, and so was Eox.

I won't say that it's the doom of Zelda, but that PH is going down both a good and a bad path. I play Zelda so I can have fun and be proud of my accomplishments, but when my accomplishments can be done by a three-year old it takes away the spirit for me.

Amelie

Air Dancer
What it sounds like you are saying is a game is only good if it is challenging.
The thing is a game does not always have to be challenging to be fun.

Believe me. I think I know that a game doesnt have to be challangeing to be fun. I never said that. But if a game is stupidly easy.. it get boreing.. for me. Its my opinion.

If Zelda gets harder puzzles and more innovative gameplay.. then it will be fun. What is it without that? For me it turns into a easy walk in the park >>

I had fun with PH.. but a few times I sat there and yawned at house easy most of it was. I like challanges.. and I miss when Zelda had many more of those then it does now.

bellum

Gamer since age 2
the've been getting worse over the years and they could probably make one better but they have to take their time cause PH was done like "that" it was so quick and yhey haven't made anything since PH and that really gives us a hint about A new zelda game being worked on for a while which means it may be really good

U

Uroboros

It'll get worse if Ninty keeps tying to appeal to casual gamers and children. TP was waaaaay too easy.

I felt that TP was somewhat challenging. There were times when I could not figure out what to do, a lot of times actually, even though I had beaten ever previous Zelda before it. But I liked TP, and felt that it was good to play something similar to OoT again, even if it wasn't using anything particularly new.

I hated PH too. I've said it before, but its the only Zelda game I've ever re-sold back to the game store in order to buy another game (after I beat it of course). It has virtually no replay value, unless your just wanting to get the other two fairies or upgrades for your ship, which is really pointless as all you can do is look at it and go, "Well thats pretty kool."

But going back on topic here, I think the series will get better. Nintendo currently has two systems both of which offer new ways to play games, and I think they have explored only the tip of the iceberg with PH and TP (Wii) in that respect. I have high hopes for the new Wii title set to come out, but at the same time I hope they don't use the same setup they did with PH on the DS.

Nintendo has always thought of ways to make the series better imo, creating the first Zelda which was a revolutionary game for its time, implementing the "save" feature for the first time in a video game. Then releasing Adventure of Link, which gets shunned by many but for the true hardcore fans of the series and of games in general, realize its impact on such games as RPG's. So I have the utmost faith in Nintendo that they wil continue to create great Zelda tites, and make us wait years for them to be released, as it should be when making a great game.

I think over time that every game in the gaming world has died down, not just Zelda. I think this has really a lot to do with the system it's on, for example, LoZ is on some like 4-6? Button system, and it's hard as hell. But I'm a lot better with Gamecube controllers, and wii remotes and hence games seem easier.

I also, unlike it seems quite a few people here, do like to take into my decision other things than how easy or how hard it was. Twilight Princess was a beautiful game, people only demote it because they don't like the graphics for some reason after 2 years I STILL haven't figured out, and because it was too easy. I didn't find it easy at all. I think a lot only find it easy because most that are playing are the 20-30-40 year olds that have played the original Legend of Zelda and AoL so much that they find every new game simple because they lived in the age of hard.

Now on the subject of Phantom Hourglass, I'll give you that one in it was super freaking easy. But I like to think I'm an optimistic person who thinks the gaming world might still have a chance.

MOS3

Agent Of Chaos
Certainly, a game being "hard" does not make it good (Silver Surfer aka the hardest game ever made is the proof of that), and I think it is not easy to find a correct balance in terms of dificulty to the game. IMO, if I was the programmer, not being able to find the right balance and had to choose to make the game either a bit easier or a bit harder, I'd go for harder. At least that'll keep the players busy for a bit longer. After months and months (sometimes even years) of programming the game, it comes out and 2 days later someone already finished it and uploaded a video with the ending on youtube and a walkthrough must not feel good to the programmers lol. I lived (and survived!!) the "age of hard" lol, and sure, I'd love to see a more challenging zelda. I hope they make one with enemies constantly coming at you instead of the random bat or skeleton that is mostly annoying. Maybe if they added a difficulty option?...for younger players, they could play on easier levels while veteran ones can take on the hardest level and face a true epic challenge :)

Last edited:
Well just about any game that is released, no matter the difficulty, someone somewhere in the world is going to finish it in a few days. IGN always has guides up two to three days after a game's release, sometimes sooner than that. Those people are assigned to playing the game non-stop, so I think no matter what its going to be like that. Except for huge games like Oblivion. But I don't see us getting a Zelda game that big.

MOS3

Agent Of Chaos
Well just about any game that is released, no matter the difficulty, someone somewhere in the world is going to finish it in a few days. IGN always has guides up two to three days after a game's release, sometimes sooner than that. Those people are assigned to playing the game non-stop, so I think no matter what its going to be like that. Except for huge games like Oblivion. But I don't see us getting a Zelda game that big.

yeah, I know, maybe I didn't say quite clear what I meant. I just think they should make games a bit harder... I like to think of the evolution os to speak from OoT to MM.....MM is far harder IMO.....

S

Shawnogohma

The only hard part in Twilight Princess was the city in the sky dungeon. Ugh......

But a game can still be good even if it's really easy.

For me, I felt accomplished whenever I solved something in PH. Sure the dungeons are small and simple. And yes, the bosses were wussies. But I still get a feeling of accomplishment.

It's the same thing with Twilight Princess.

But, maybe a way to solve this whole difficulty thing (I haven't played a single difficult 3D Zelda game in my entire life.) would be to add difficulty options. There are two ways they can do that, too.

1. You select the difficulty while creating a file.

or

2. You select the difficulty for a certain thing (boss) and then beat it on other levels of difficulty another time (assuming the next game will give you the ability to re-fight bosses.)

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
The next Zelda must be hard, but it must be a hard that isn't due to being broken. It must be hard from puzzles and enemies. There must be a balance, the enemies must be strong enough that they can take more than 1/3 a heart (which most monsters in TP do) and they must be fast enough so they don't spend 10 seconds just prancing. The puzzles need to be difficult but not impossible.

Trentino

Modern Day Warrior
probably if the next one is for wii or Ds. They should make another one for gamecube or a second collecters eddition. in collecter eddition I only used OoT and Majora's Mask

I don't think Zelda has gotten worse over the years at all. Granted, PH was a small step behind Link's usual efforts, but I still enjoyed it. I loved TP, and I think the next Zelda console game will be great.

So in a way, I think they'll get better than they already are.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I`m a born optimist so I guess it can get even better in the future. Looking at the last games though I will say the contrary. TP was actually quite ok but the (2,5)D PH was dissapointing for me. I believe they make more games nowadays and most people want to play through the games quite fast. Also they want to sell many games. These reasons and also the fact that the new generation of gamers are more lazy suggest we´ll have to wait some time until great improvements will occur. (I know this maybe is a bit unclear but I´m not writing a book).

Something I just thoght of- Apparently " once its the worst it can be, the only wa it can go is up."
If taht was the standard of Zelda's quality, eventually, how would that work?
would they have enough money to make better games? probably not. Which means the have to make better zelda now, or suffer later. if they make more games lik phantom hourglass, it will fail, I think. hopefull, then, it will get better, bt I wder what speculations could be made out of "what if it did fail?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom