• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Will you be using the wolf link amiibo?

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
How many of you will be using the Wolf Link amiibo often?
I know i will want my wolf link companion by my side through my whole adventure (or at least as much of the world as he can follow me in). I always wanted a doggie companion (kinda like my real life dog) in a zelda game and this is probably as close to one as we will ever get.

I own it so i'll use it at least once just to see what its like having Wolf Link as a companion.

By the looks of how difficult BotW seems to be it might be useful to have Wolf Link around.

Pen

The game is on!
I don't have the amiibo so I will not be using Wolf Link. Besides, I feel like the Wolf Link aspect of the game is mostly just there for fun. I mean, lore-wise or timeline-wise it makes no sense at all, so it's ultimately just a fun little side gimmick.

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
I think I will use it for fun sometimes. Just for the sake of having a companion, not to make stuff easier.
I agree I wouldn't want to make it easier.
I don't have the amiibo so I will not be using Wolf Link. Besides, I feel like the Wolf Link aspect of the game is mostly just there for fun. I mean, lore-wise or timeline-wise it makes no sense at all, so it's ultimately just a fun little side gimmick.
Does it really matter if it makes sense tin-line wise? I love the timeline and am curious how this fits into it but that doesn't make having a little thing here and there that makes no sense less awesome

D

Deleted member 14134

I've never rwally been a fan of bonuses that only certain players get through pre order bonus, dlc or amiibos. I think I'll try it once for a minute and then never use it again.

Pen

The game is on!
Does it really matter if it makes sense tin-line wise? I love the timeline and am curious how this fits into it but that doesn't make having a little thing here and there that makes no sense less awesome

Oh I don't mean that it's not awesome. I'm sure it can be quite fun, but to me it doesn't add enough to the game for me to wanna spend money on the amiibo.

Heck no. For starters, you're required to also own a Wii U and TPHD and beat the labyrinth in it just to use it, and I hate TP and I don't own a Wii U. Second, you can tame random dogs in the overworld anyway so that's basically the same thing.

You aren't required to play the TPHD level to use wolf link in BotW. You can increase it's maximum amount of hearths. If you use it without boosting it in TPHD he will just have 3 hearths.

I screwed up on a Hero Mode file and can't finish all 40 floors and finish it with all 20 Hearts saved to the Amiibo... and unfortunately I don't have Sheik or Zelda Amiibos for heals and the Wolf Link Amiibo wasn't enough to get me to the bottom and finish with a full 20 hearts... I know, I could try harder and git gud, but I just opted to restart a file, find all 20 Hearts, finish 6 floors of Cave of Shadows and saved the 20 hearts to my Amiibo. I could care less about the bragging rights of full 40 floors cleared AND Collosal Wallet+20 Hearts saved to Amiibo so I'm perfectly content having what I wanted: 20 hearts for my Wolf buddy in BotW :) I'll only get him once a day, but from what I've seen of the Wolf Link Amiibo trailer/gameplay, it looks like he's going to be a big help with finding food and killing annoying lesser enemies that get in the way of exploring on foot.

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
I screwed up on a Hero Mode file and can't finish all 40 floors and finish it with all 20 Hearts saved to the Amiibo... and unfortunately I don't have Sheik or Zelda Amiibos for heals and the Wolf Link Amiibo wasn't enough to get me to the bottom and finish with a full 20 hearts... I know, I could try harder and git gud, but I just opted to restart a file, find all 20 Hearts, finish 6 floors of Cave of Shadows and saved the 20 hearts to my Amiibo. I could care less about the bragging rights of full 40 floors cleared AND Collosal Wallet+20 Hearts saved to Amiibo so I'm perfectly content having what I wanted: 20 hearts for my Wolf buddy in BotW :) I'll only get him once a day, but from what I've seen of the Wolf Link Amiibo trailer/gameplay, it looks like he's going to be a big help with finding food and killing annoying lesser enemies that get in the way of exploring on foot.
I agree. I havent beaten the cave of shadows either. Ive been hearing that you need to beat the cave to use the wolf link amiibo in botw though

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I will not be buying or using any type of Amiibo. They are a ripoff and the worst form of DLC out there. For the same price of an amiibo you can buy 8 hours of extra story content for the Witcher 3 including original compositions, high quality voice acting and new areas.

By purchasing an Amiibo I would be giving Nintendo the impression that I approve of them selling a cheap looking toy that allows you to access content worth less than $1.

Last edited:
Found this on a forum post on Gamefaqs' board, so far this seems to be the most accurate piece of info regarding the Wolf Link Amiibo being used in Breath of the Wild, and whether you need to beat all 40 floors of the Cave of Shadows and THEN save your remaining heart data to be able to use the Wolf Link in BotW or not:

Post: Also the hearts stored on the amiibo are permanent and global, not tied to one file. So to get 20 on there you can play through the game until you have 20 hearts and only then do the Cave, get to floor 6 with full health, and you're all set. Alternatively you can just use a Zelda/Shiek amiibo on the last floor to max your health out and get a 20 heart Wolf Link amiibo that way.

So I started a brand new file, got all 20 hearts for Link, then attempted the Cave of Shadows. I cleared up to the 6th floor without taking any hits, and once I was done the 6th floor I left the Cave and when prompted I saved the 20 hearts to my Wolf Link Amiibo (after reformatting the already saved Amiibo data from the Wii U menu). Until we get solid confirmation on Wolf Link functionality, this is pretty much the best I can work with until I get to test it out in 3 weeks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom