• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will you be picking up the next generation of consoles on day one?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Holiday 2020 is when we know the next-gen consoles will be released, and we've received quite a bit of information (apart from price) about them and the games that will be released. But there are a lot of people who, no matter how good the consoles and their games are at launch, will wait a year or so until a price drop or for more games to be released. So where are you on this? Will you get your console of choice on day one? Or will you wait for better games and a better price that will eventually come?

For me, the biggest factor will be price. Money is hard to come by, and a $400-500 console is something that I can't justify even with backwards compatibility with the entire PS4 library, especially since I have no idea about what Nintendo might do concerning a console revision for the Switch, or if that will happen at all this year. Nintendo takes top priority for me in my console and game purchases, so not knowing what might be announced is reason enough to hold off.

Nintendo's next system is a ways off yet so I'll keep my response focused on the XSX and PS5.

I won't be buying an XSX at all.

The PS5 I'll get eventually but nowhere near day one. In fact, now that console revisions are standard, I'm going to wait until at least the third iteration of the PS5 because it just feels pointless to me now to buy the first version of consoles.

Maybe when the PS5 Pro comes out I'll be loaded enough to get one and maybe there'll be a lot of decent GotY edition games for me to pick up at discounted prices.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I never see any good reason to get a console day one, I feel like at least 2-ish years after release would be an ideal time to get one; more game selection, any early hardware issues would be addressed by then hopefully, deals or game bundles, I just see no reason not to wait

Kirino

Tatakae
I'll almost definitely pick up the PS5 at some point (and Nintendo's next system, whenever it is), but yeah, I see no reason to get them day one. Like always, I'll probably just wait until they have a sufficiently good selection of games to justify the purchase.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The short, dumb answer is that I'm a PC gamer and so a new generation of hardware doesn't affect me as much as the introduction of new core components. There are games on PS5 that interest me, but none that interest me enough to justify spending several hundred dollars on a console that would spend most of its time being ignored in favor of me PC.

The Xbox Series X is cool, but I'll probably spend my time using Xbox Game Pass instead.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've never owned an Xbox and don't see any reason to purchase the next one either.

As for the Playstation 5, I might purchase it eventually but that'll probably be around half way through its life cycle if there are a few games I am very interested in playing.

It is hard to say for Nintendo without knowing the details of the console or the launch lineup. I purchased a 3DS and a Wii U on launch day but for the Switch I only purchased it at least a year after launch. I think that as I get older I care less about launch day purchases and would rather wait for better value.

MW7

I will definitely buy the next Nintendo system, but I have no plans to buy anything else. I did wait a little while before buying the Switch so maybe not day one, but it depends on what I have going on in life when it releases.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Only the next Nintendo system.

But for a PS5 or the new Xbox? I see no reason as I'd rather just buy a new graphics card and get far superior performance with my PC.

There's nothing with the PS5 or the new Xbox that compels me to buy them that my PC doesn't do better.

Thus, my view remains unchanged. PC and Nintendo is how I'm going to remain. :)

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I don’t have the funds to branch out to anything besides Nintendo. But if a Nintendo console comes out, I’ll probably pick it up as early as possible.

Ninja

Well well well
PS5 day one, or as soon as I can find one in stores.

Never been a fan of Xbox, and Nintendo will be a day one, whenever it decides to come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom