• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will TotK be a launch title for the next Nintendo system?

accio boomerang

you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
I don't think a new console will come out this year, I feel like it would have been announced by now. I do think that maybe next year they may have a new console or announce a new console will be released that year or the year after. I mean I guess if they did have a new console release next year (I'd assume around Christmas time at this point) as long as I could carry over my digital games from the switch to the new console I would be fine.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I see BotW2 as more of a last hurrah for the Switch. I seriously doubt that it would be a launch title. Much more possible that Prime 4 would end up being moved to the next system than Zelda.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Until they outright say it's cancelled I don't really have a reason to believe it won't release. At worst, it'll end up in some kind of unknown development hell a la Pikmin 4.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
That's my assumption. I doubt there will ever be an official cancellation, just a refusal to acknowledge developmental status and prolonged periods of silence during which they hope Metroid slips out of the public consciousness. Then we'll get a reboot a decade from now just called Metroid.

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
That's my assumption. I doubt there will ever be an official cancellation, just a refusal to acknowledge developmental status and prolonged periods of silence during which they hope Metroid slips out of the public consciousness. Then we'll get a reboot a decade from now just called Metroid.
To be fair, MP4 hsa had plenty of development hell.

The original dev team working on the project had everything scrapped as Nintendo brought back Retro Studios to work on the franchise; so the original build is long gone.
Covid came around and slowed production.

All of that happened in 2019.
And it is only now getting into 2023. If Retro Studios had to build the game from the ground up, they may have some internal conflicts on story development as it is likely they would be making a hybrid of the original script of MP4 and their own revision draft of it.
Add in whatever engine they are using. Are they using a pre-built one or are they making serious upgrades to the engine of MP3: Corruption?
Honestly, I would expect some sort announcement at least at the Nintendo Direct that is supposedly supposed to happen this month. Something to show that three years of progress, whether it be a development trailer or a cinematic teaser.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
To be fair, MP4 hsa had plenty of development hell.

The original dev team working on the project had everything scrapped as Nintendo brought back Retro Studios to work on the franchise; so the original build is long gone.
Covid came around and slowed production.

All of that happened in 2019.
And it is only now getting into 2023. If Retro Studios had to build the game from the ground up, they may have some internal conflicts on story development as it is likely they would be making a hybrid of the original script of MP4 and their own revision draft of it.
Add in whatever engine they are using. Are they using a pre-built one or are they making serious upgrades to the engine of MP3: Corruption?
Honestly, I would expect some sort announcement at least at the Nintendo Direct that is supposedly supposed to happen this month. Something to show that three years of progress, whether it be a development trailer or a cinematic teaser.

Hopefully they aren't touching whatever engine was used for Prime 1-3, but knowing Nintendo they probably insisted on it.

accio boomerang

you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
I dont think there will be a new nintendo switch coming out anytime soon since they are trying to get even more switches out this year. Something tells me there won't be a new console until 2025. Which is fine by me because at the moment I have a lot of bills to pay and I know that I'll want it shortly after it comes out (even though I really don't need a new console at the moment... heh)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom