• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will There Ever Be A Legend of Zelda Movie?

If there was a Legend of Zelda movie, how do you think the story should be laid out? Should it be based off any one individual game? Would temples/dungeons need to be removed completely? Post your thoughts here.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
There are several threads like this, but I'm too lazy to find 'em so...

The closest thing we've ever gotten to having Zelda movies are The Legend of Neil, Hero of Time, and the fake Zelda trailer made by IGN. I think, if a Zelda movie was ever made, it'd be based off of one singular game, and it would include the full story from that game. They'd show PARTS of dungeons, just important parts, like collecting items, etc.

I'd prefer a Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, or Twilight Princess movie, just because these games are very eventful and have alot of different plot points that can easily be made into movies.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
An MM movie would be awesome-tastic, but I don't think Zelda movies could ever come about, at least not soon. I know Eiji Aonuma in some interview a while back expressed his want to make a Zelda movie, but it would be one of those things where you need a LOT of time and a LOT of money...

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
I think a MM, OoT, or TP Zelda movie would be cool to watch if everything in the movie will be everything into place. The animated series was a fail and I don't like it. Anyway, I think doing a movie about a video game can be a fail if it doesn't follow the plot from the video game. I think making a Zelda movie can't be that bad. Maybe it would be awesome to watch one^^

Hero of…. #s, I guess
The issue that complicates the concept making a Zelda movie is that Link would have to talk. Now, I know some people have no issue with this so long as he isn't running around yelling "I CAN'T WAIT TO BOMB SOME DODONGOS" or "EXCUUUUUSE me, Princess," but to me it would damage the character in addition to simply not feeling right to have Link speaking, even if he was speaking non-lame lines.

I have thought before of a solution to this where Midna or Navi would speak for Link to various characters, but especially in Twilight Princess this really would not be entirely feasible, as Link couldn't have a conversation with Midna. Thus, I have rejected this as an inadequate solution.

In my opinion, Link is the everyman who becomes a hero taken out to the further possible degree, to the. Degree where he literally is "every man." Giving him a voice gives him a character, and giving character also endows him with an opinion and a smaller spectrum of possible persons to represent. If you do this, you no longer have the Everyman that Link was, you have another her, probably with a rather bland character (think Luke Skywalker).

Thus, I do not believe that a Zelda movie, while being a fairly good idea on paper, would logistically work out.

Last edited:
Only if the REALLY take the extreme effort... for an animated series first. Help show the story of video games can work OUTSIDE video games before attempting this, then I would agree to a Zelda movie... animated though.

I have also thought that creating the character of Link in a live action movie would be a major issue, (if not the biggest issue.) I have often wondered if any director would be able to cast the perfect Link, or the perfect Princess Zelda for that matter.. both would need to be played by previously unknown actors, one of the reasons for this being the young ages of the characters.. and because they would most likely need to use an actor with a clean slate, in other words, one who was not already labeled as another popular character in a different film series.

They should not try to adapt one of the games. That becomes an issue with most video game based movies. Since the Zelda timeline is so complex, they could just throw in an original story for any point in the timeline.

I do not think its impossible... but I sort of doubt it will happen... I do not think Hollywood is afraid to make it because lets be honest they are not afraid to make up their own version and mess up what was in the games, they would just change what they do not like... I just think Hollywood is afraid it will not perform well in theaters. For that I doubt we will see one.

crazeh navi

Guardian of Equestria
I think that a MM movie in particular would be amazing!! It could show all these characters in more of a real-person light, and we could also get a real glimpse into what the producers decide Link was thinking all through the adventure. Was he sad that he couldn't help everyone in one three-day cycle, did he miss Zelda, little things like that.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
If there was a movie it should be based loosely on ocarina of time. It is the only option that makes sense as it is the most critically acclaimed game of all time and people who are not zelda fans will understand it all because it is the beginning of the series villain Ganon. I think it would also need to be in two parts as fitting all the story in would be difficult in one part. Temples would need to be very different from the games so they are entertaining to watch. More emphasis on interacting with people and action needs to be in the film to make it an entertaining watch.

If it were a movie, they would have to learn from past failed attempts at video game movies and western animated shows based on Nintendo properties. Here's a mini-list on what I think they would need to do.

1. Use caution with you who you work with, know who they are and what they did. Subsequently, if you are that company or director, have someone from Nintendo be a creative consultant, someone to act as your bridge to Nintendo when ideas come up or are needed and what guidelines there are. (Some movie are ruined by people who don't care about the source material. Best example is 1998's GODZILLA, giving me a reason why I'll never watch a Roland Emmerich movie again)
2. Work with someone who knows this is a big deal and won't treat it like the "brain killing sex simulating" garbage "concerned" parents keep calling it. If it were me, I wouldn't care if it were Steven Spielberg or Christopher Nolan. If they don't know or care about Zelda, there is no way I'd work with them unless I gave them a little history lesson. And by little I mean a good 2-3 hours worth of game events, non-canon media, history behind the creation and influences.
3. This is in case they're not sure how to present it, or if it were in 1989, look at similar works in the same genre for some ideas. You want Ganon's minions to look imposing and not facepalming-ly dumb? Read some Lord of the Rings and learn about the orcs. (Also, avoid water parks and boxers with hearts. And don't ripoff Moonlighting if your show has a different premise, age group and cast of personalities than Moonlighting.) All in all, know the genre at what belongs in it. (Now for a shot at Uwe Boll, if it is a mystery, don't add ugly ALIEN knock offs and pointless backstory just to somehow justify car chases and sex scenes)
4. In my opinion, it should be an original story that unites elements from various games that work together. Otherwise, make it based on the original, but add things not present to make it a "bringing us full circle thing" such as the Master Sword, the Gorons, Gerudo, make Impa actually appear rather than exist solely in the manual. Basically know what exists and how it will work.
5. This is where it gets tricky. Characterization. People defend the cartoon's portrayal of Link by saying he was a blank slate and anyone's guess would be accurate since little to nothing was known about him. I have two problems with that. First: Just because it was the only non-gaming media depiction of him, not counting the manga unreleased in the states, that doesn't mean we should automatically accept it. Second: Just because Link doesn't have a voice or a biography as big as all three Lord of the Rings, doesn't mean he's a blank slate. ACTIONS define a character, and his actions show him to be a brave, determined boy who knows how to use weapons and magic and proved himself capable of taking on an entire kingdom taken over by monsters without once needing someone else to bail him out. Also, the manual does say he had a personality trait, one that clashes with only one certain depiction... well two if you count CDI, it said he has a burning sense of justice. Sure, it's vague, but that one little trait shows he doesn't want money, or a kiss, in return for his heroism. Basically, study the characters, let what they do during the game events to get an idea of what character they are. So, final lesson, know the characters and, if needed, use traits from similar characters (Let's say Simon from Gurren Lagann, Luke Skywalker from Star Wars and maybe a little Lion-O from 2011 ThunderCats for Link) just because the characters probably never spoke, doesn't mean you can give them any personality of your choice that clashes with what the game suggests.

I gotta do a little blog about what I just said one of these days.

I think the director basically decides how good the movie they make turns out.. which is why depending on which director they chose to create a Legend of Zelda movie.. it could be extraordinary or absolutely terrible. Take M. Night Shyamalan for instance.. he took the Last Airbender...a GREAT tv series.. made a live action movie out of it, and pracitcally ruined it. Shows what kind of power a director has.. My personal choice for the director of a Legend of Zelda movie would be Peter Jackson, because he has proven that he can take an extensive, extremely detailed story and make an amazing trilogy out of it, while still keeping us attached to the characters, not leaving out too many details, and keeping a good idea of the story. Too bad Zelda would most likely end up in the hands of another director :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom