• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will The Wii U Be As Successful As The Wii?

After Nintendo's Wii U blowout earlier today, I thought we'd take a moment to ponder over what we know about the Wii U in order to estimate its initial success and predicate whether or not the new system would reach the lofty heights of its predecessor, on pace to be the first and only Nintendo console to surpass the 100 million mark thus far.

The Wii had a lot going for it in 2006. The system was cheap and presented a unique alternate control method through motion controls. This quickly caught on with all walks of player, the veteran gamer and the novice who desired to try something new or stay fit through virtual exercise. This balance of casual and "hardcore" experiences ensured continued success for at least a few years.

Enter 2012 and the Wii U is just around the horizon, a little more than two months away from launch. But will Nintendo strike a chord with consumers once more and recreate its commercial landslide from last generation? Only time will tell but several inferences can be made from what we know already. What perceived advantages and disadvantages does the Wii U have in comparison to its competitors, those out now and those looming in the horizon for the eighth generation?

Advantages:

• More RAM
  • Faster loading times
  • Unique hardware
  • Balanced launch
  • Launching first
  • More modern online infrastructure

Disadvantages:

• Initially competing against established consoles
  • Most expensive Nintendo system at launch
  • Not all online features avaiable at launch
  • Likely to be least powerful system of next generation

If the Wii U launch tells us something it's that Nintendo has learned from the 3DS's poor day one selection and provided compelling all-around first party software in the form of New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land at launch, paired with core third party offerings.

For the first time in generations the company finds itself releasing the first console of a new generation. This will likely be a double edged sword. On the one hand, Nintendo is able to faster penetrate the market with its new product, but on the other Microsoft and Sony have more time to produce higher tech competition and learn from the initial successes and failures of the Wii U in adopting an economic strategy for the next several years.

Nintendo also finds its in a hard spot with pricing. $300 for the basic model and $50 more for the premium package is understandable from a features standpoint but may be frustrating for the Nintendo loyalist or casual gamer who isn't used to pocketing out so much for a new platform. Although offering improved hardware, is the transition to Wii U truly necessary when high-end 360 and PS3 models retail for $300 and already have a stellar library built up over several years?

What do you think? Will Nintendo once more surprise the industry and skyrocket into the top sales position or has the company's winning streak come to an end?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I have high doubts about the Wii U outselling the competition like its predecessor did with flying colors. For one, the Wii U is a Gen VIII console, meaning, it is trying to compete with competitors. This means that the PS4 and Next Xbox will outclass it as far as sheer power goes. The next problem I have is that the Wii U has some of the 3rd party support that the PS3 and 360 had, and the majority slew of games released on PS3/360 were lacklustre, or decent at best. This could plague the Wii U just as much as it did the PS3/360 and ultimately put the competition ahead. One other thing is that the Wii U, being established as at least above PS3/360 par, lacks any form of media device. We cannot play DVDs, CDs, Blu Rays...anything at all. Surely the PS4 will take after the PS3 and become a world class multimedia device. The 360 had some multimedia capabilities, why wouldn't the nextbox take advantage of this as well? Ultimately customers may decide that they're getting more bang for their buck with the competition.

SO yeah, I'm not entirely sure the Wii U will beat out the competition via numbers. It will be successful without a doubt, but idk.

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
Well the Wii was a phenomenon. I'd like to expect the same sort of thing, but I'm not sure it's even fair to. You made a lot of valid points, Ventus, but there is one I would argue with.

The concept of having DVDs. I believe that pretty soon the DVD will be the next VHS tape... and we'll probably switch over to live streaming. I know a lot of people, both friends and family, who don't even buy DVDs anymore because they have Netflix or Hulu.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I think the Wii U will be a success, but I doubt it will reach the meteoric heights that the Wii did.

The Wii U needs lots of third-party support to attract core gamers and thankfully Ubisoft and others like Platinum seem to be very enthusiastic about getting stuck in. The Wii U will benefit in its first year from cross-platform games like Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Ops 2. They could give many gamers a reason to buy now before Microsoft and Sony roll out their next machines.

One of the big questions is will the casual gamers migrate to Wii U? When Nintendo first announced it back at E3 2011, they only showed one image of the actual console and not at their actual conference. The UK press reported on it but called the Wii U an add-on for the Wii, not a new console. It's tough to say if that idea is still ingrained in the casual market's collective mind. Attach rates for the Wii were very low, meaning lots of people owned a Wii but only had a few games for it. Will these people see value in a Wii U? Will games like Wii Fit U sell this new, more expensive machine the same way it sold the older, cheaper one?

That is what I think will contribute the most to the Wii U not being as successful as the Wii, a good deal fewer casual gamers buying the system. Over time, I think the families that bought a Wii for Mario Kart and Wii Sports will move to Wii U but not in the droves they did for the Wii.

Dan

I wasn't too sure on the wii U at first, as of now I think it will do quite nicely. I'm now actually looking forward to it.

I know 8GB/32GB doesn't seem a lot but I honestly think this was a better move anyway. Since we can plug in our own USB memory devices. Often it ends up costing Nintendo more and us more when they include more memory. So I'm no longer discouraged by the small harddrive space.

Launch games are pretty great too, Super mario bros wii u, Are certainly be getting Super mario bros U and rayman legends. :D I'm amazed how much those gamepads cost... £107 o_O where's the bundle Itself is £217.

I think it's already off to a good start, and hopefully will do well.

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
Just put 250 down to pre-order Deluxe Wii U and Pikmin 3. Now I have to think of a way to come up with about another 150$ to be ready for launch day.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
As successful? I didn't even know the Wii was successful in the first place.

It sold the most units out of any of the seventh generation consoles. It may not have many games that appeal to you, but, as I said, it has sold the most units out of any gen seven console. Widely successful console, even though it went mostly unnoticed. :yes:

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Like many others here, I have no doubt that the Wii U will be successful, but I doubt it will be as successful as the Wii. If the do many things right with the Wii U, then I can put bets on the console after the Wii U to be as or even more successful than the Wii.

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
I think the future looks bright for the Wii U. I am pleased with the game line-up as of now, and we can only hope it gets better. And, I honestly dont think the Wii was THAT successful...I think the Wii U might do even BETTER than the Wii. I hope im right xD

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I think it will be more successful mostly because of the new ways gameplay can be used with the tablet controller. That's what I'm really most excited about.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Hmm... Tough question and like many gave stated, we are all sure it's going to be a success. What it needs, stronger launch titles than what it has. That was a major problem of the 3DS. Wii had a lot of good things for it for when it came out. If wii u could have more excellent launchers, and gets some big games frequently, I think it has the potential to be as successful as the wii

If you think about it, the WiiU can go very far, and I believe it will. The gamepad's limits are nearly endless; it's really up to developers to create games that push the limits and use the gamepad in innovative ways. The Wii brought a new style of gameplay, it brought families together in gaming, and paved the way for motion controls. The WiiU will push these limits, as well as integrate other ways of gameplay, it will push it's way into HD graphics, and "hardcore" games and I believe it will do so better than it's competitors. I think the WiiU will be nintendo's greatest console, they can do SO much with it. It will dip it's toes in every aspect of entertainment, I'm just waiting to watch Nintendo destroy Sony, Microsoft, and shove it in the faces of those who have bashed them for not being suited towards "hardcore" gamers. Go WiiU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom