• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will the stats get carried over?

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
No. Zelda isn't really the sort of game that let's you make meaningful choices that warrant a save transfer.
The exception being linked Oracle games, as it retains names and a few choices.

I don't think this game will do anything like that, there's no reason to do so. It only would have worked if the ending of BotW was a "To be continued"

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The exception being linked Oracle games, as it retains names and a few choices.

I don't think this game will do anything like that, there's no reason to do so. It only would have worked if the ending of BotW was a "To be continued"

True, I'd forgotten about those. I remember it carrying over your rings and the Ganon fight. Did it change anything else?

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
I would say that our initial stats would probably be carried over, hearts and stamina wise.
But that will only last during the prologue sequence.

When Link and Zelda stumble upon the sealed Ganondorf mummy, we saw that the malice in the trailer reached out and latched onto Link's right arm, causing it to become grey and more decrepit.

My prediction is that THIS event will be the gameplay reason for us to start off at level one again with bare minimum hearts and stamina.
Ganondorf will use this malice to sap away at Link's lifeforce in order to gather the necessary strength to break from his seal, providing us a story reason for Link to be at a weaker state than he was in Breath of the Wild.

Though I doubt they will start us off with only three hearts. Perhaps we will start off with Six like in Skyward Sword or something? Or perhaps three hearts will the Master Mode difficulty tweak to the early game?

Honestly, if they went with this it would be a satisfactory explanation to why we start off weaker. I always find it annoying when a Metroid game has no reason for Samus to start off with less equipment in some of the games. Or when Link in a direct sequel doesn't carry over hearts. Could you imagine Majora's Mask with 20 hearts and then acquiring twenty more during the game?

Could you imagine Majora's Mask with 20 hearts and then acquiring twenty more during the game?

Would you be up for that? I don't think it would change anything in terms of gameplay. For balance purposes the developers would have to treat 20 hearts as 3 and upscale everything else (enemy's HP and attack power, environmental hazards...) to make the beginning of the game challenging and fun. So you'd end up with devalued hearts and would have an extra 6 or 8 rows of them cluttering your screen by the end of the game.
But storywise, MM is such a strange, "elseworld" tale, that there are many ways to make sense of Link's sudden return to his basic stats. Maybe it's an alternate world, an alternate Link, maybe it's a dream, maybe whatever powers Zelda drew on to send Link back to his time, at the end of OoT, also reset his stats somehow?

RamboBambiBambo

Would you be up for that? I don't think it would change anything in terms of gameplay. For balance purposes the developers would have to treat 20 hearts as 3 and upscale everything else
Logistically of course I wouldn't want that.
BUT this conversation does remind me of a mathematics equation I did in High School to determine which Link has the most durability and life.
And it was thoroughly thought out !

So basically each game has Link start with three hearts (except Skyward Sword for some bonkers reason).
So I was able to determine a baseline for most incarnations of Link.
And typically in sequels you see Link start with three hearts again, so ergo 3 hearts in in Phantom Hourglass equals twenty hearts from the Wind Waker. Which means that when you end the game with 16 hearts in Phantom Hourglass, That means technically Link has 106.6-repeating hearts since every three hearts you obtain in Phantom Hourglass would, logically, mean twenty hearts in The Wind Waker.

BUT THEN IT GETS COMPLICATED !!
Ocarina of Time has you end the game with a maximum of twenty hearts BUT YOU ALSO have the Fairy Enchantment that gives you double resistance by putting a bold white border around all of our hearts, which made OoT Link's health pool essentially DOUBLE as it doubled his damage resistance; making his Twenty Hearts effectively become FORTY HEARTS !!!
Then in Majora's Mask, Link has 3 hearts so therefore 3 MM hearts = 40 OoT hearts worth of life-force.
So when you get all the heart containers & heart pieces in Majora's Mask, Link has technically 253.3-repeating OoT Hearts !!!!
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE !!!
BECAUSE ANOTHER FAIRY IN MAJORA'S MASK DOUBLES THAT AGAIN !!!
So Link, by the time you complete Majora's Mask should have
506.6-repeating OoT Hearts !!!!

So by this Math, is OoT Link technically the strongest?
What about his Legendary Hero incarnation from A Link to the Past and its three sequels?
A Link to the Past ends on Twenty Hearts
Link's Awakening ORIGINALLY had 14 be the maximum but the Switch remaster made it bump up to 20. We will use both numbers for this evaluation and I will present two totals to show how odd this is.
Oracles of Ages has 16 max hearts
Oracle of Seasons also has 16.
So, again, 20 hearts is 3 in Link's awakening. So going by the original release of LA, that means Link will have 93.3r ALttP Hearts in the end. And going by the Switch Version, Link will have 133.3r ALttP hearts.
OoA starts you off with 3 hearts again, so that means that 3 OoA hearts = 93.3r(or 133.3r) ALttP Hearts. So by the end of OoA we will have 497.6r(or 710.93r) ALttP Heart count.
OOS again starts off with 3, so that means that 3 OoS hearts = 497.6r(or 710.93r) ALttP hearts.
Which, if we continue the math, means that the grand total of hearts that this incarnation of Link has gotten is :

*epic drumroll that lasts a bit too comically long as I squeak the equation on the metaphorical white board
2653.86r (or 3791.626r) A LINK TO THE PAST HEARTS !!!!!!

So.
Let us apply this math to BotW into TotK.
We don't know the life-limits of Link in TotK, but we do know the maximum possible hearts in BotW is 30 heart containers (at the cost of stamina maximum if you so wished.)
If Link in BotW starts the game off with 3 hearts, then that would mean 3 hearts in TotK = 30 Hearts in BotW.
So, let's do the math again; thankfully now easily divisible as each heart now equals 10 hearts.
3 = 30
6 = 60
9 = 90
12 = 120
15 = 150
18 = 180
21 = 210
24 = 240
27 = 270
30 = 300
THANKFULLY much easier to do on hand and in the head.

--- --- --- --- --- ---

TL;DR
If BotW Link keeps his heart stats from BotW, he will be at roughly 1/9th - to - 1/12th the life-force strength of his incarnation from A Link to the Past.

Why did I do all the math?
I woke up at 0230 hours and I have been awake for nearly twenty four hours with another two hours on my shift to go plus the twenty-some minute walk home.
Needed something to keep me awake other than Dunkin coffee.

But yeah.
BotW Link will likely have all the stats carry over from the BotW save file for the prologue.
But once we enter into Act I of the story (meeting Ganondorf), our life-force will be drained and we will be at a lower level of hearts.
My bet is six hearts for standard mode and three hearts for Master Mode.

Last edited:
I don't think much will be carried over to the new game. Obviously we will have the Champion's tunic and Master Sword; but I feel that will really be it. In all of the trailers, we don't have the Sheikah slate anymore, so those runes are more than likely gone unless we are able to retrieve the slate later, or Link's arm is able to absorb the runes out of it. I don't think any of the old runes will be in the game anymore; mainly because of how easily you can break the game with them. The new game is built on a vertical level, so being able to use the bomb and stasis runes to launch ourselves to other sky islands would be something that the devs would definitely want to remove from the game.

RamboBambiBambo

we don't have the Sheikah slate anymore, so those runes are more than likely gone unless we are able to retrieve the slate later, or Link's arm is able to absorb the runes out of it. I don't think any of the old runes will be in the game anymore; mainly because of how easily you can break the game with them.
We've seen some reworked and modified runes being used by the arm-bangle that Link has.
The Stasis Rune has been changed with what seems to be a time-reversal rune.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I can't really imagine stats being carried over. Like others have said, Link getting struck with malice and losing an arm is absolutely going to be the excuse for him getting nerfed between games. Not counting any save data bonuses, which are pretty much a given, I would rather see some things you did in BotW carry over, not stats. Like Tarrey Town's progress and stuff. I feel like they're gonna make Tears of the Kingdom under the assumption that BotW's story, all its sidequests, and all of the DLC content-- Master Trials and Champion's Ballad both-- were completed by Link in canon. That's how I'd like to see it, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom