• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will the Nintendo 3DS Be an Important Console for Zelda Games?

Is the new Nintendo 3DS going to play an important part in the release of new high profile Zelda games (e.g. TP, OoT) or will it only see the release of smaller Zelda games (e.g SP, PH.)?

green goron

Best of the Gorons
I think the third game of the DS trilogy will be the biggest zelda game on this console. I also see them doing zelda game remakes on the DS so that young new zelda fans who never got to play in the old days will get to play classics on the ds like the original LoZ and Alttp but with upgraded graphics and easier use.

Kybyrian

I think that people view the handheld games in general as smaller games. People seem to be a lot more interested on what's going on with their Nintendo Wii rather than what's going on with the Nintendo handheld. The 3DS has some great capabilities - as we can see with the release of many previous games on the device - but I don't think it's going to host any "major" Zelda games. It's always possible, but I think that it will likely be left up to the home consoles to support the larger games that everybody is going to be very hyped up about.

I'm sure they will end up making a new Zelda game for the 3DS, but it will likely be viewed sort of how Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass are. There is no doubt it will be a lot larger and better than both of them, but I'm sure if it will be accepted as a "major" Zelda game simply because of the fact that it's hosted on a handheld system rather than a home console. That just seems to be the way it is. A game doesn't have to be one of the "major" games to be just as enjoyable, though.

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
I think the third game of the DS trilogy will be the biggest zelda game on this console. I also see them doing zelda game remakes on the DS so that young new zelda fans who never got to play in the old days will get to play classics on the ds like the original LoZ and Alttp but with upgraded graphics and easier use.

Well, there may not even be a third addition to the DS trilogy. No one knows that yet. I also doubt that they will just continue pumping out remakes, as Ocarina of Time 3D is obviously a remake. Nintendo doesn't really like to do what is expected, and one can't really tell what a new game would be like.

As for the original question, I think it will. Nintendo will obviously utilize such technology. I imagine that after Skyward Sword, the next game will be for the 3DS. It's too big of an opportunity for them to miss.

green goron

Best of the Gorons
Well, there may not even be a third addition to the DS trilogy. No one knows that yet. I also doubt that they will just continue pumping out remakes, as Ocarina of Time 3D is obviously a remake. Nintendo doesn't really like to do what is expected, and one can't really tell what a new game would be like.

As for the original question, I think it will. Nintendo will obviously utilize such technology. I imagine that after Skyward Sword, the next game will be for the 3DS. It's too big of an opportunity for them to miss.

A trilogy means three so there will definetly be a third game and I seem to remember an interview with Aonuma saying that the first game let you travel over sea, the second over land and the third might let you travel in the air

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
A trilogy means three so there will definetly be a third game and I seem to remember an interview with Aonuma saying that the first game let you travel over sea, the second over land and the third might let you travel in the air

I know what trilogy means. No third game has been confirmed, though, so it's difficult to make a judgment here. Also, even if there is a third one, it does not necessarily mean it will be on the 3DS. DS games are still being made.

I'd be majorly surprised if they didn't release any Zelda on the 3DS. I'd say it's almost impossible that they won't. My big question is whether it'll be fully 3D (I don't mean the stereoscopic stuff - it'll have that whether or which - I mean classic 3D, like OoT). If it is, it'll probably get a lot more hype than if it was 2D : that just seems to be how it goes. However, even if it is 3D, I imagine it won't be as big as any new console titles (SS), just because of space limitations.
I doubt they'll release many more remakes for the system, though. OoT is notorious for remakes, so this one isn't really a huge surprise. Most of the other Zelda games, however, don't receive remakes very often, and if they ever wanted to remake a 2D one, they could probably just put it on Wiiware/DSware. Given that, I'd be surprised if they went any further than OoT.

Last edited:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Well we already know they're releasing a Link's Awakening DX 3D on the Nintendo eShop for the 3DS, which becomes available in May. It won't be like that fan 3D version, just the normal top-down view that is supposedly 3Dish. Looking the same as the original with the 3D turned off. We can expect, or at least hope for, them to put the Oracle Series on the eShop too. Since it was one of the two games Nintendo used to showcase the eShop, it'll probably be a launch title. LA and OoX have kind of been left out of all the fun for ports and releases on handhelds and the Virtual Console. So yeah, this could make the 3DS very important for Zelda.

I think that there will be big Zelda games on the 3DS. I would love to have a 3D wind waker type game. By 3D I mean like TP and OoT, and not like AoL and PH. If the game is well made I think it's VERY possible that Zelda could florish on the 3DS.

00steven

Yeah, that's right!
I don't think handheld Zelda's will ever be as popular as console Zelda's, but if any handheld can change this it's the 3DS.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
No way to tell right now, but I hope to see a Wind Waker style game on there. Just imagine Wind Waker in 3D. Not like PH and ST, like WW!

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I thnk it will be instrumental in introducing Zelda to the next generation of gamer who don't know about the series yet. In theory any (lucky) kid who gets a 3DS should end up hearing, seeing or playing Ocarina of Time 3D, and who knows they might even give LA a try. We might get MM as well, so after a triple threat like that, most kids should begin to see what the series is all about. The Virtual Console will spread a huge awareness for Zelda games, if you can download LA and OoX than the Virtual Console on 3DS is like a Nintendo marketer guy inside your system. I'm sure when OoT 3D does come out some of those new fans will be looking up walkthroughs and info on the internet and they might even sign up for a Zelda sites forums.

It plays such a wide variety of games when you look at all the platforms it can cover (so far I know the 3DS can play DSi, DS, GBC, GB, and TurboGrafx 16 games). When it comes to Zelda though I'd say they will be making more high end Zelda games having left the PH and ST style behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom