• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Will Termina Ever Return?

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Termina was a cool and unique place. It's a magical and amazing land to anyone whose played MM. Do you think it could ever return? Will we ever see Link return to this magical land?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's a oneshot land and the only way I'll ever see it returning is in MM3D. :III

Big Octo

=^)
I am not too certain that it will be seen again. Nonetheless, I would still very much like to see it return outside of my dreams.

EmptyElegy

Soldier of Ikana
I feel that we won't be seeing Termina again. I think that it was more of a onetime kind of world, only pertaining to one game and one game only. Nintendo would have to come up with another original idea to use with Termina, which I feel wouldn't be very easy to accomplish. With Hyrule, there's always the threat of Ganon(dorf), so it's very easy to use and reuse it, but with Termina, the main threat, Majora, was destroyed (or so we're led to believe), so they would have to create a new villain or use an old one from a different game (the latter lf which I find less than desirable). So unless Nintendo can come up with another plot idea for Termina, or give us MM 3D, I don't think Termina will be used again.

I am not too certain that it will be seen again. Nonetheless, I would still very much like to see it return outside of my dreams.

I actually had a dream where Nintendo released a new Zelda trailer that said "Welcome back" and showed Termina's landscape. Needless to say, I was utterly disappointed when reality hit after waking up ;)

In all honesty though, I don't see it returning in anything other than a Majora's Mask remake. Termina itself is one of the aspects about the game that makes it the oddball that it is.
That being said, who says they couldn't make another alternate world that's just as unique, or perhaps expand in "new Hyrule"? :)

I came to this thread to say that Termina's story is basically told and that there is no need to ever return, but when I thought for it a bit in thinking of what to post I changed my mind. After all, you could make the argument that in Ocarina of Time, for example, Hyrule's story is already told - but there are always fresh (or not so fresh...) conflicts brewing. So instead, I will separate my thoughts into two questions:

1. Will Termina return?

I agree with those above who have said that Termina is a one-off world. I think that Termina has such a powerful mystique (Is it a parallel dimension generated by Link's mind? Is it an actual place? Is Tingle a Satanic construct? Inquiring minds want to know...) and the game Majora's Mask has a reputation as an oddball that I think the developers will leave its legacy untouched (except, perhaps, for an HD remake?).

2. Could Termina return?

Certainly. There is no limit to imaginative storytelling. Any number of things could have happened to Termina in Link's absence, both before and after the events of the game. Just because there was a three-day cycle in Majora's Mask doesn't mean that there has to be a similar mechanic in another game. Plus, the map can be expanded and shifted just as Hyrule's has been countless times. Majora's Mask lays a considerable amount of potential backstory or future plot for every region of the map:

Swamp

Past: How did the Dekus come to live in a palace? There could be a potential bloody history (well okay... I'm not sure that Deku Scrubs have blood at all) in terms of political coups and whatnot that led to the Majora's Mask era political situation.
Future: Do relations between Dekus, monkeys, and humans change? How does the Deku Princess fare as a ruler?

Mountains

Past: What heroic deeds did Darmani do? Presumably, there were outside threats to Goron Village over time.
Future: Maybe Mountain village expands into more of an actual settlement instead of one house. Do the Gorons and Humans come into conflict?

Bay

Past: How did the Gerudo Pirates end up there? With their proximity to the Zoras, there has surely been a lot of historical tension.
Future: At the end of the game, there is no reason for the Zora and Gerudos to have made up. They would continue to have conflict, I imagine.

Canyon

Past: What happened with the whole Ikana war that turned everyone into undead? How did Garos come about? The Sharp/Flat betrayal storyline could be significant as well.
Future: Does Pamela's father investigate the strange properties of the region and make any discoveries? With the return of water, does the region expand in population or become greener?

Whether or not you agree that there should be a return to Termina, I personally believe that there is plenty there that could be developed further. Imagine, for example, that there would be a side-game added to whatever the WiiU game will be (presumably in Hyrule) that takes place in Termina. That has some potential, in my view.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I don't really think so. It's cool and unique, but I only think it will work with Majora's Mask. It feels like one of those areas that will only work one time. If you use it more than once then it will lose it's meaning and it won't be special anymore. It's like the worlds of Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons, and Oracle of Ages. If they are ever reused, it might degrade them. It only feels like those worlds need to be in one game and one game only. They aren't areas that can be reused like Hyrule can, because Hyrule is the main setting of Zelda. The first time a Zelda game didn't take place in Hyrule was Link's Awakening.

The only way I see Termina in a future release is if they decide to remake Majora's Mask. I still don't have high hopes for that though because they haven't really made any promises. If I remember correctly though, they are still thinking about it, so there's still hope.

Fig

The Altruist
I really don't think that Termina would ever return unless Nintendo decided that Link somehow travels back there for a brand new adventure. Even then, Termina is technically a parallel universe compared to Hyrule. So really expecting to see Termina return in a future Zelda game is mostly unlikely to happen. I do give Termina credit that it was a great place to explore and travel about throughout Majora's Mask, but I think it is safe to say that Link will probably see Termina again in his life.

ThatOneNerd

Guardian Deity
Maybe not EXACTLY the same. Maybe, continuing from where Link left off in MM, he finds Navi, but they get lost in another parallel world akin to Termina. I had a plot for a Zelda game written around this, though I have tweaked since.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I hate all these "one time world" comments. the is nothing that is a "one time thing" in the Zelda franchise. Termina could return, and i think if it were to happen, i think it will get a full game like it deserves.

MM3DS can **** off, there are plenty of ways to play the game, how about a MM2 or what ever they need to call it to return to Termina. There is so much story there, and a lot that we didnt evern get a full explanation for in the first game in the first place. so it not a simple no.

a lot of you have said things are just one time things before and you have been wrong, Termina was speacial. they went back to ALttP didnt they, no one seen that coming! and depending on how wel ALBW is recieved, they may just return to terminal!

Maybe not EXACTLY the same. Maybe, continuing from where Link left off in MM, he finds Navi, but they get lost in another parallel world akin to Termina. I had a plot for a Zelda game written around this, though I have tweaked since.

I think it would be great for Link to find Navi, i really think they could make a whole game out of that.

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
Perhaps. I mean sure it could happen. Do I think it will? Probably not unless MM 3d but as in a new game I don't think it will, sorry snake but I agree that it was probably a one shot wonder. I don't anticipate it returning. But who knows it is Nintendo after all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom