• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Will Switch pro provide backwards compatibility?

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
images-1.png
Nintendo has been a sore spot when it comes to backwards compatibility. The Wii was backwards compatibility with Game cub, the WiiU was backwards compatible with Wii but not gamecube. The switch isn't backwards compatible at all.

Are you worried?

Ninja

Well well well
Look at all those grandparent consoles, sirs and ma'ams.

I don't think there will be a Switch Pro. It'll probably be a newer console that may have a secondary slot for Switch games, and a primary slot for it's own games. I also wouldn't be surprised if there would be limited backwards compatibility so they could sell SWITCH PORTS for $60 :tm:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Yeah, the Switch Pro is nothing more than a rumor at this point. I'm pretty sure it started when people discovered that the new Switches with the better batter were discovered.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
If a switch pro happens there's zero chance of backwards compatability. But maybe we'll get something like NES/SNES online but for other systems.

I don't see why it wouldn't. Discounting the Wii/Wii U fiasco, Nintendo has never been in the habit of giving its systems identical names. The Switch seems like it's going to be unique among their consoles, so any Switch Pro will probably just be a Switch with an overclocked CPU and GPU or whatever.

No?

Because why would they?

If they made games backwards compatible then there'd be no need for the extra content on NSO.

There's also be less points for remakes and ports, which they're making a lot of money on...

If there ever is a Switch Pro, I think it'd just be a higher memory, more premium build of what we have, no extra bells or whistles like BC.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Resident Evil leaker EvilVR on Twitter made a comment a while back about how Capcom has plans to port Resident Evil 7, 2, and 3 to the Switch, but only when the Switch is powerful enough. Now recently, it has been discovered that there are files in the Resident Evil 3 demo that suggest it was being worked on for the Switch. This makes me think there will indeed be a stronger version of the Switch, possibly this year, as they'd want to be able to compete with the next gen consoles and could even promote upcoming games like Breath of the Wild 2 and Metroid Prime 4 with it and even bundle them with consoles. Not just that, but a Borderlands collection was just announced for the Switch and while I'm sure the Switch can't handle Borderlands 3, it does seem suspicious that they would release all the other titles with no plans to release the third, unless they know there will be a stronger Switch coming that would allow Borderlands 3 to run properly...

With that said, I don't think backwards compatibility will ever be thing with Nintendo as they like to make unique hardware and keep switching the kind of media they store their games on. At the very least, I can see an entirely brand new console being backwards compatible with the Switch, but I don't see them ever getting their act together enough to make the kind of moves that Xbox has been making with their backwards compatibility because Nintendo likes to live in their own bubble and do things differently to a fault.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
If there isn't a slot for my NES, SNES, N64, Gameboy, DS, 3DS, and Switch cartridges AND no disc slot for Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U games then they aren't getting my money. Oh, not to forget the Virtual Boy games too - it has gotta be compatible with those also.

While it is fun to imagine what such a console would look like, in all seriousness I think anything called the "Switch Pro" if it were to exist would obviously be backwards compatible with Switch games. Any other old generation games would be distributed online one way or another as they do now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom