• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Will SS Always Be the Oldest Tale?

Will SS always be the oldest tale in the Zelda timeline? Or do you think they will ever do a prequel to it, including the goddess Hylia?

Sheik

:the:
If they were to make a game that fell before Skyward Sword chronologically, I suppose Link and Zelda wouldn't be able to be in it because Skyward Sword Link and Zelda were the first, and that game is where the whole reincarnation curse began.

Regardless of that, though, it's entirely possible.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
If we're going strictly on tales and not games, then it's already not the oldest. Read the manga from Hyrule Hystoria.

Second, Idk. Nintendo does seem to prefer prequels or sequels set far away from the other games as opposed to to actually advancing character development and plot points.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
judging by Fi's intro to said game, no, SS will not always be the oldest tale. As for Hylia, I don't think we'll be seeing her anytime soon.

Skyward Sword Link and Zelda were the first, and that game is where the whole reincarnation curse began.
It's not so much a curse as a statement of fact. A truth that extends both forward and backward from that point in time.

Read the manga from Hyrule Hystoria.
#notcanon

Probably. Though with the series' constant time travel and learning that Hyrule rests upon the ruins of an ancient high tech civilization, there's plenty of room to slot more stories in there later if they choose to.

I think Nintendo think up of ideas for how a LoZ game should play out and it's gameplay designs long before they try to fit each game into the lore. Fun first and lore second.

Djinn

and Tonic
If they stop worrying about where in a timeline a game can go and instead worry about making a game then it is entirely possible.

Plus we already know there was some amazing golden age of advanced technology as ruled by a benevolent deity from SS. Sounds like it would not be too hard to wrap some kind of story into that one.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
No. Well at least if Nintendo never intend to go down that route.

There's a always the opportunity to do it and they never closed off that route. Skyward Sword never once screamed series' prequel to me or origin story. Instead, it seemed like the origin story of the Master Sword more so than anything else. I don't really buy into the whole Demise curse and I certainly don't think he's the source of all evil - it says he's the source of all monsters, but that's rather ambiguous. "Source" doesn't mean created for one, and that quote can easily be referring to the present. There is essentially no confirmation for Demise being the first evil existing in the world, the God of evil, the devil etc. It's all just an assumption based on a rather ambiguous quote that can be twisted in so many ways and I think Nintendo intentionally intended for that.

What do we exactly know about before Skyward Sword then? We know at the beginning of time, Hyrule was created and Hylia was trusted to guard the Triforce. Then we have this unspecified gap (could be any period of time) between this and when Demise attacks. Honestly, this could be thousands of years. This tale is told from the perspective of Skyward Sword, so it's not going to include the events beforehand, only when Demise attacked. So there is a window for a game (maybe multiple) between the Creation and when Demise attacked. Of course we know Ganondorf could have never existed, but who's to say another villain didn't? Or let's say it's Demise again and the plot in SS was one of his many raids on Hyrule (a la Ganondorf braking the seal numerous times). Another big thing is that SS Link is never defined as being the original; where did he get the clothes from? The knights? Well they might wear said gear in recognition of a past hero (Wind Waker anybody?) Plus wasn't the Kokori meant to be the explanation for Link's attire? Meh, point is, there is no significant evidence to point that this Link is the first incarnation.

So, I think there's a big chance we'll get another prequel, maybe not for some time, but it's definitely a possibility.

Last edited:
No. SS didn't feel like a prequel to the later Zelda games at all. I agree with JC that SS felt more like an origin story concerning the Master Sword & not how things came to be. The whole Demise curse thing felt forced to me & doesn't connect to Ganon all that well.

i wouldn't mind Nintendo doing another a game before SS, but it all depends on what Aonuma wants to do. The game has too many holes in it for a game that's supposed to be the first Zelda game in the timeline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom