• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will Smash 3DS Cause Poor Sales for Smash Wii U?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Will it? Smash 3DS has released to good sales in Japan, no doubt it will sell well in the West too, however if one had smash 3DS what would make them buy two smash games, which are expensive and effectively the same product, one being portable the other being HD? Online gaming seems more prevalent than a group playing together on one screen these days, and if this is widely the case will people just opt to get the first smash that comes out (3DS version) because they want a new smash game which they can still play with their friends, but also on a journey or in a waiting room? Or will HD graphics entice people to actually buy a new and expensive console?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Will it impact sales? Of course, I mean you'd be in denial if you thought otherwise.

Not everyone is a super big fan of the series like quite a few here on this forum, in fact, I'd wager the majority of purchases will be made from gamers looking for a casual fun experience on either the Wii U or 3DS. So let's say you own both, and given what I said about the main audience who is going to buy this game, would you actually buy both versions? The answer in a lot of cases would probably be no. Both are being marketed as the same game only on different platforms, which, essentially, is what it is. A part from the odd exclusive perk here and there, maybe an exclusive stage/mode/character, they're practically the same game only running on different sets of hardware. The Wii U will be seen as the complete living room experience for the family and regulars of the franchise, while the 3DS will be seen as the more mobile, on the go type of experience - throw in the novelty that this is the first handheld installment in the series and it matches well to its big brother counterpart.

So really you have two, nearly identical, games which begs the question, why buy both? Not everyone can spend that type of money or would even be willing to buy two games that are virtually the same. Though this works both ways, some will possibly skip out on the 3DS version and wait for the Wii U version (might be personal preference of preferring home consoles). So you could have a case where both game sales are effected to some degree; however overall sales will show a pretty good number there's no doubt in that.

Here's my problem though, the Wii U isn't doing too good, and despite the sugar coating that people give it, it needs sales and fast. SSB being one of the console's main juggernauts--in terms of sales and mainstream attention--is vital. So with these two versions, will people opt out of potentially buying a Wii U, stick to their 3DS (numbers show that this is by far the most popular product) and not buy a Wii U because they can already experience the game? I'm damn sure this is the case for a lot of people who are still on the fence about buying a Wii U, so the best option, financially and logically, would probably be to stick to the 3DS and rather than spending an extra £250 to get the same game you've been waiting for.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I'm not so certain the 3DS version will hurt the Wii U version. I view them as two parts of one package, with one being greater. The 3DS is merely a lead-in to the even greater Wii U version. I know people buying Wii U's for this game, and basically anyone who can afford a Wii U and a 3DS is getting both versions. The 3DS version is limited by the bad cramp-inducing controls, requirement that people own system and a copy to play it, and the limited graphical and other capabilities. The Wii U version can be played by groups of people on one tv, has better control schemes, and will good online and other features. It's also simply so much more a successor to Brawl and the others, whereas 3DS is in many way an experiment in handheld capabilities. I really doubt that 3DS's existence will hurt Smash Wii U. I think rather that both games will benefit each other in terms of hype and cross functionality.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Absolutely. There's really no reason to get both unless you just like seeing it on the big screen.

I believe Smash 3DS will impact sales of the Wii U version positively. If people who are unfamiliar with the series enjoy the 3DS version of the game, they may be more likely to pick up the Wii U version assuming they are aware that console versions of games typically contain more game modes and features.

While Smash Bros. is as much a party game as it is a fighting game, it provides exposure to other Nintendo franchises, and makes it more likely that players will expand their horizons to other Nintendo franchises, possibly become more dedicated gamers.

I think advertising from Nintendo is a very important aspect as well. Let's not deny it: Nintendo has dropped the ball with advertising the Wii U. The only first party commercial I've ever seen was advertising Super Mario 3D World last holiday season. Nintendo needs to articulate why Smash Bros. is best experienced on a console highlighting the game's social aspects by showing how it brings people together in unified enjoyment.

Even when Nintendo's systems like the N64 and Gamecube have underperformed, Smash Bros. was consistently well selling. I have no doubt Smash Bros. Wii U will continue that tradition.

I doubt it, but Nintendo needs to advertise the hell out of Smash Wii U if they want the system to sell. They've been doing terribly with the advertising for the Wii U & the games ever since it first launched, so in order for the next Smash game to sell on that particular system, advertise it constantly. Don't just advertise Mario thinking that's what many people want, but it's not the case here.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I don't think so. Sure, most people probably won't buy both, but a lot of families probably won't buy the 3DS version. I certainly won't, since if I wanted to play with my DS-less friends and family, it would mean I (or we) have to buy multiple 3DSs and games. I'd save a lot more money just buying a WiiU and one copy of the game that four people can play together. Added bonus of having the WiiU means I can also get Mario Kart, which is another great multiplayer game.

D

Deleted member 14134

Definitely. Once people realize that it's a half assed rehash of brawl people will be less willing to by it for the third time on the wii U.

Salem

SICK
The 3DS can't connect to the TV afaik, so I assume people would still want the Wii U version.

Also for tournament, can you imagine 3DS' just hooked up with whatever to be seen on the big screen??

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I personally think the logic here is that Smash Bros. for 3DS is inferior to the Wii U version. Because of this, it will encourage people to buy the Wii U one to get a much better experience. So, in theory, no. However in practice I'm not certain.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Will it impact sales? Of course, I mean you'd be in denial if you thought otherwise.

Not everyone is a super big fan of the series like quite a few here on this forum, in fact, I'd wager the majority of purchases will be made from gamers looking for a casual fun experience on either the Wii U or 3DS. So let's say you own both, and given what I said about the main audience who is going to buy this game, would you actually buy both versions? The answer in a lot of cases would probably be no. Both are being marketed as the same game only on different platforms, which, essentially, is what it is. A part from the odd exclusive perk here and there, maybe an exclusive stage/mode/character, they're practically the same game only running on different sets of hardware. The Wii U will be seen as the complete living room experience for the family and regulars of the franchise, while the 3DS will be seen as the more mobile, on the go type of experience - throw in the novelty that this is the first handheld installment in the series and it matches well to its big brother counterpart.

So really you have two, nearly identical, games which begs the question, why buy both? Not everyone can spend that type of money or would even be willing to buy two games that are virtually the same. Though this works both ways, some will possibly skip out on the 3DS version and wait for the Wii U version (might be personal preference of preferring home consoles). So you could have a case where both game sales are effected to some degree; however overall sales will show a pretty good number there's no doubt in that.

Here's my problem though, the Wii U isn't doing too good, and despite the sugar coating that people give it, it needs sales and fast. SSB being one of the console's main juggernauts--in terms of sales and mainstream attention--is vital. So with these two versions, will people opt out of potentially buying a Wii U, stick to their 3DS (numbers show that this is by far the most popular product) and not buy a Wii U because they can already experience the game? I'm damn sure this is the case for a lot of people who are still on the fence about buying a Wii U, so the best option, financially and logically, would probably be to stick to the 3DS and rather than spending an extra £250 to get the same game you've been waiting for.

Glad to see that at least one person is giving realistic thoughts about it. You took the words right from my mouth...or in this case the keys right from my fingers.

I have seen some crazy marketing strategies of nintendo, but this one is plain weird. There are more reasons that this method will have a negative impact on Wii U sales then positive.

>Its a fact by now that there are more 3DS owners then Wii U owners. For this reason i can understand why nintendo wanted it to release on 3DS as well. But at the cost off Wii U sales. So that pops the question: "make as many sales as possible or try to save Wii U platform?"
>The release dates of both versions are far apart from eachother. And the 3DS version was first. This is not encouraging people to buy at the Wii U version at all. This is like nintendo is saying "meh...we are slowly giving up to save the Wii U, the real moneymaker is 3DS".
>Another reason that its more focused towards 3DS is, the limitations of 3DS that affected the game for both versions.
>Majority of consumers will not buy 2 versions (despite version differences), its just plain expensive. I mean i like nintendo and the SBB series. I also own both consoles. But im not buying both versions even though i can afford it.

It may affect sales a little, but I don't see the 3DS version making too much of a difference. I feel like the "50 Fact Extravaganza" that went over every reason why the Wii U version is better will prevent the handheld version from making console version sales poor.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Before the latest SSB4 Wii U stuff was revealed, I would've said yes. But now it's clear that SSB4 Wii U is gonna have a lot more content and features. Almost 500 songs (487 iirc?), 8-player Smash, plus the addition of Mewtwo if you buy both versions... SSB4 Wii U is getting a lot of preferential treatment. For people like me who have no money to buy a Wii U, it's kinda taunting because it seems unfair that one version of the game is looking so much better than the other. But I highly doubt all this new stuff hasn't incited droves of people to want to buy the Wii U version.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
It may affect sales a little, but I don't see the 3DS version making too much of a difference. I feel like the "50 Fact Extravaganza" that went over every reason why the Wii U version is better will prevent the handheld version from making console version sales poor.

We will see once the Wii U version gets released. Then we can compare the sales and see the actual difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom