• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will Skyward Sword Use a Cinematic Approach?

Fig

The Altruist
What's happening forum!

As we already know Ocarina of Time was pretty famous for its long-lasting appeal of Link, and how it changed the world of Zelda as we know today. One factor that made this game even more epic were the occasional cut-scenes. I remembered everything of Ocarina of Time, just be remembering the Cut-Scenes. Because of that, I knew what was going to happen next, whether it was an after-boss scene, or a helpful one. I want to Skyward Sword to use cut-scenes just as they did in Ocarina of Time. But I want to know your opinion. Do you want Skyward Sword to use cut-scenes for a better effect, or like in the orginal Legend of Zelda where the cutscenes where in the beginning and ending.

Please comment and join the Heroes of Nintendo group in the group pages. This is Hero of Nintendo signing off to the Mushroom Kingdom!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, I think it's a given that SS will be using a multitude of cutscenes, but I do hope they are more like OoT's than they were in TP. What I mean is, Link has to be Link, not some separate character who has his/her own methods. I'm not doing such a good job of explaining what I mean. Anyway, the cutscenes should lend their part to the Zelda experience, not the game experience. Play OoT then play TP, more often than not people respond with TP having a deep story, which is what I REALLY didn't like about Twilight Princess. I hope Skyward Sword's cutscenes deliver more Zelda rather than more Video Game, if you can understand my point.

FlatxSharp

Music to last through the ages
Umm...this is slightly off, but it makes sense in the end. I remember playing TP, and during the cutscenes, I would be shocked at how great the graphics looked. It would be almost like a totally different expirence. New angles, images you can only see once, sounds made to be in that exact moment in the game and never used again. And then, when it was over...everything was normal again. It wasn't any more special than any other Zelda game. (and that IS still pretty special but, you get it.) But, although I used TP as an example, I am thinking of OoT as well. I love cutscenes, and I know I'm not the only one. I do belive there will be plenty of them in SS, expecially because the creators are so proud of it visually. Trust me, they want to brag about it. ;) I want to seecutscenes in the beginning, middle, and end.

TheMinish

Hero of the Skies
In a stage demo with a Nintendo rep (Eric Peterson) he stated the game will be cinematic, I hope so :D

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Hasn't every 3D Zelda been cinematic? :P

Though, I have to point out that I think the games have tried with different approaches to atmosphere. To explain that better, I'll make a quick comparison between the Nintendo 64 games, mainly because I think they had different approaches:

Ocarina of Time: The idea of a game with cinematic qualities was a pretty big deal in 1998, you know. Especially when applied to a series as popular as Zelda. Here's my personal favorite example of that (warning, spoilers ahead):

[video=youtube;KE7LS4lfrDY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE7LS4lfrDY&feature=related[/video]
That cutscene before you go to the Shadow Temple always made it more intimidating for me, pesronally. That's because you already know that something powerful is waiting for you at the end. You don't know how it looks, though. This is an example of what I think is the cinematic element being used effectively.

Majora's Mask: This one also used the cinamatic element but in a different way. I always saw Majora's Mask as somewhat less cinematic (I mean that it wasn't as cutscene-happy) than Ocarina of Time, but didn't necessarily saw it as a bad thing. After all, Majora's Mask used gameplay elements (like the 3 day cycle) to favor the atmosephere without taking out the cutscenes.

I hope thet brought the point across.

By the way, I remember the developers saying something about using a bit of Majora's Mask style here, and even though that said more about having a complex hub-world, I think it's not too late to assume they might also use gameplay elements to help the atmosphere, is it? That's some food for thought, in my opinion...

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It think it'll be somewhat cinematic, but not nearly as much as Twilight Princess. The cutscenes will definitely be very cinematic, but I don't think the gameplay will feel that way. It looks to me like it's going to be a linear/open game in the sense that the story is linear but the overworld exploration is open.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
No matter what, I believe Nintendo always incorporates cinematic attributes into their games. Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess are my favorites to watch, cutscene-wise, whereas MM is just darker, and WW, well, of a different quality. But you can tell the devotion the development team puts into each game, see the feelings related through Link's reactions. Just go to Youtube and watch a bunch of 'scenes to see for yourself. Or, better yet, play one of the games!

Skyward Sword appears to be the best game on many fronts. I wouldn't be surprised if its cinematics is at all different.

Guarentieed! apart from The legend of Zelda and Zelda II: the adventure of link, Every other zelda game had cinematics, Skyward sword should be no exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom