• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will Skyward Sword Be Game of the Year 2011?

Will Skyward Sword be Game of the Year 2011?

• Yes (90 - 100% Chance)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Likely (60 - 90% Chance)

• Maybe (40 - 60% Chance)

• Unlikely (10 - 40% Chance)

• No (0 - 10% Chance)

• Total voters

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
There has been lot of speculation going on about Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword is set to be released (hopefully) before the end of this year. However, I haven't heard much about whether Skyward Sword will be the Game of the Year or not. What do you think? Two Zelda games have taken this titles so far (Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess). Are the chances for Skyward Sword pretty high, slim, or in the middle?
You can refer to this article also for more insight on this.

Last edited:

Nicole

luke is my wife
I voted for Unlikely. I feel Skyward Sword will be released too late in 2011 for it to be fairly judged the Game of the Year. If it's only been out for two months when 2011 is over, it's hard to judge it against other games. Now, this has nothing to do with the quality of the game. Quality-wise, it probably could take the title, but I feel it won't, simply because it is thought to be released late into the year.

Now, if Skyward Sword is released early enough for it to "qualify," it might be a different story. Of course, it's too early to say for sure, but SS is more than likely going to be a great game. I think we'll just have to wait to play it to really judge for ourselves. ^^

Ariel

Think for yourself.
Gears of War
Marvel Vs. Capcom
Mortal Kombat
Portal 2
Portal Kombat 2
L.A Noire
Deus Ex
Uncharted 3
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Possibly Mass Effect 3

It's up against some very serious competition, especially from Portal 2, Uncharted 3 and Mass Effect 3 (but I think it's delayed until 2012.) Most of these games are obviously, and I mean obviously from a Zelda-philes perspective, inferior to the Zelda track record. Actually, by almost all standards, every game is inferior to the Zelda standards.

But the trick to winning these sorts of accolades is innovation. This is where I see Portal 2 being strong competition, and L.A Noire slightly less than that. Luckily, Skyward Sword promises to revolutionize the Action/Adventure landscape, and the Zelda formula too. So I hope there aren't any unfortunate bugs or features to hold it back because it's going to have to lift it's game(play). More often than not, the only times Zelda doesn't get Game of the Year is when it's a handheld title, a sidestory off of the back of a recent Zelda (like Majora's Mask), or the judges of these things have an aversion to anything that doesn't have a gun in the foreground.

As a general rule of thumb, Zelda will win from at least 1 respectable publication, as do Mario games. But the smart money may be on Portal 2 at this stage (it was a great, innovative game).

To be straight-forward, I definitely believe it has the potential at this point in time. It's far too early to decide though. I'd say it's likely.

If memory serves, most, if not all, console Zelda games have gotten at least CLOSE to Game of the Year if not wholly awarded the honor.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Gears of War
Marvel Vs. Capcom
Mortal Kombat
Portal 2
Portal Kombat 2
L.A Noire
Deus Ex
Uncharted 3
Possibly Mass Effect 3

It's up against some very serious competition, especially from Portal 2, Uncharted 3 and Mass Effect 3 (but I think it's delayed until 2012.) Most of these games are obviously, and I mean obviously from a Zelda-philes perspective, inferior to the Zelda track record. Actually, by almost all standards, every game is inferior to the Zelda standards.

But the trick to winning these sorts of accolades is innovation. This is where I see Portal 2 being strong competition, and L.A Noire slightly less than that. Luckily, Skyward Sword promises to revolutionize the Action/Adventure landscape, and the Zelda formula too. So I hope there aren't any unfortunate bugs or features to hold it back because it's going to have to lift it's game(play). More often than not, the only times Zelda doesn't get Game of the Year is when it's a handheld title, a sidestory off of the back of a recent Zelda (like Majora's Mask), or the judges of these things have an aversion to anything that doesn't have a gun in the foreground.

As a general rule of thumb, Zelda will win from at least 1 respectable publication, as do Mario games. But the smart money may be on Portal 2 at this stage (it was a great, innovative game).

Yes, it will have serious competition against Portal 2. BUT, I know Zelda can still beat it.

I voted for Unlikely. I feel Skyward Sword will be released too late in 2011 for it to be fairly judged the Game of the Year. If it's only been out for two months when 2011 is over, it's hard to judge it against other games. Now, this has nothing to do with the quality of the game. Quality-wise, it probably could take the title, but I feel it won't, simply because it is thought to be released late into the year.

Now, if Skyward Sword is released early enough for it to "qualify," it might be a different story. Of course, it's too early to say for sure, but SS is more than likely going to be a great game. I think we'll just have to wait to play it to really judge for ourselves. ^^

Well, if it's too late, then it'll be a nominee for the next year.

Ganondork

goo
It is likely, but not so high that it blows everybody else out of the water. L.A. Noire was highly anticipated, and Portal 2 received some very good reviews. Those are SS' only contenders, really. Gears of War 3? Who cares about that? It's fun, but not great consecutively like how Zelda is. Zelda has a fool-proof formula that is hard to beat. Add some new puzzles, a new land, and even some more info on Evil's Bane (The Master Sword) and we actually got a good fighting chance.

Con-man

Master Swordsman
Zelda has done it before, and in the end, nostalgia always wins, and Zelda has that going for it more than any other game. You remind people of how fun Zelda was when they were kids and the competition is beat.

There is a LOT of competition, the most important being Portal 2 and, to me at least, Skyrim. Mass Effect 3 is big too.
But Zelda will beat those. Possibly. Most likely. :P

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
I voted for "likely", that is if it will even have been released by the end of the year... I feel that the likeliness of that happening is slowly going down.

Anyone who remember how unfair those spike TV game of the years awards were!?

smg2 is the third most critically aclaimed game EVER according to gamerankings.com, it wasn't even a nominated in those spike TV game of the years awards.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, I don't think GotY 2011, but 2012 is more likely because the game is being pushed back or so a few sources have said. If the game really IS released in 2011, then by all means I think it will be Game of the Year and have several other awards as well (Expecting nothing less than Best Use of Music from a Zelda title).

Well, I don't think GotY 2011, but 2012 is more likely because the game is being pushed back or so a few sources have said. If the game really IS released in 2011, then by all means I think it will be Game of the Year and have several other awards as well (Expecting nothing less than Best Use of Music from a Zelda title).

I don't think there is anything out there about delays other than a couple of fan things.
OoT one 1999 game of the year and came out November of 1998, so it can still get it 2012.

Ariel

Think for yourself.
Gears of War
Marvel Vs. Capcom
Mortal Kombat
Portal 2
Portal Kombat 2
L.A Noire
Deus Ex
Uncharted 3
Possibly Mass Effect 3

BioShock Infinite. I forgot to add it. And that game is massively competitive for Game of the Year as well. This will be one tough year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom