• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will Octopath Traveller be better than Seiken Densetsu 3

We all know about Octopath Traveller. A game by Square based on choosing one of many characters and experiencing their story in a top down styled RPG.

Seiken Densetsu 3 however many of you might not know about. It's a SNES game released in Japan only in 1995. It's also based on choosing one of many characters and experiencing their individual story. Both games in what the are is very similar. The main two differences are the tone. Seiken Densetsu 3 is more upbeat and it also has more action oriented combat whereas Octopath Traveller is turnbased.

Did I mention both games are both developer by Square? No. I guess I should have. Those who think Octopath Traveller is a totally new idea or concept with it's mutiple choices for playable character are wrong. They've clearly not played Seiken Densetsu 3 and other games like this.

Will Octopath Traveller be better than Seiken Densetsu 3?
Seiken Densetsu 3 is a spiritual successor to the Secret of Mana though it plays slightly differently. I would recommend anyone interested to get the fan translation patch for Seiken Densetsu 3. It's a very good game. Personally I like Seiken Densetsu 3 more than I do Secret of Mana.

I think the answer to this question will be based on two things. Those who've never played Seiken Densetsu 3 will just pick Octopath Traveller because well they have no experience with Seiken Densetsu 3 to make a fair comparison. Those who ahve played both, the Octopath Traveller demo and Seiken Densetsu 3 will have a tough choice on their hands. Both are very good.

Personally I think Seiken Densetsu 3 is the better game but that might change once Octopath Traveller fully releases to the public.
So what do you think?

No way to say, I've not played Seiken because I have no interest in playing a game I can't understand.

Octopath looks absolutely fantastic. I think it's going to be like the Bravely Default series in the way that it really captures the early charm of Square's RPG legacy, but unlike Bravely Default, this one looks and feels like it's straight out of a mid-90s SNES RPG, which makes it all the more appealing to me.

The demo was great, I fully expect the actual game to be one of my favorites of 2018 at this point.

No way to say, I've not played Seiken because I have no interest in playing a game I can't understand.
A fan translation exists so you can play it in English. The fan translation does a very good job. Sure if you don't want to play the game that's fine, but not being able to understand it, that's just not a legit excuse.

Actually Octopath Traveller doesn't feel like it's straight out of the 90's. It's aesthetically very different. The 90's RPGs were all about bright colours to make the most of the limited colour palets of the hardware at the time. Also most of the games put the combat first. Even the turn based RPGs did this. Octopath Traveller has a much more muted colour palet and it's main focus is on story. It's certainly retro inspired but it's not straight out of the 90s.

A fan translation exists so you can play it in English. The fan translation does a very good job. Sure if you don't want to play the game that's fine, but not being able to understand it, that's just not a legit excuse.

It is without question a legitimate reason, and you claiming that I'm not correct in declining to play the game due to my only method of being able to understand it having to be an unofficial fan translation on a system the game wasn't native to is, quite frankly, insulting, and I would suggest choosing your words more carefully. I will not play a game that is not in my native language, and I should not have to resort to unofficial, pirated copies of the game. This is a fully valid reason, not an excuse.

Actually Octopath Traveller doesn't feel like it's straight out of the 90's. It's aesthetically very different. The 90's RPGs were all about bright colours to make the most of the limited colour palets of the hardware at the time. Also most of the games put the combat first. Even the turn based RPGs did this. Octopath Traveller has a much more muted colour palet and it's main focus is on story. It's certainly retro inspired but it's not straight out of the 90s.

I was obviously talking about the "look and feel" of the game, being how it controlled and the sprite-work, which is a contrast to the 3D Bravely Default, which I mentioned by name. Please do not misrepresent my words and create a conflict where there is none, and if you must question what I meant by such a simple statement that you don't understand, do it in a less antagonistic way that won't derail and kill your own thread.

It is without question a legitimate reason, and you claiming that I'm not correct in declining to play the game due to my only method of being able to understand it having to be an unofficial fan translation on a system the game wasn't native to is, quite frankly, insulting, and I would suggest choosing your words more carefully. I will not play a game that is not in my native language, and I should not have to resort to unofficial, pirated copies of the game. This is a fully valid reason, not an excuse.
You have no interest in playing a fan translation of the game. That's not the same as saying you have no interest in playing a game you don't understand. The game was made understandable, you just chose not to play the understandable version. That is my point. You don't want to play the fan translation. That's the actual reason. That's a legit reason and I'm cool with it.
I just called you out on the not being able to understand it and you answered me quite well.

Thanks.

I was obviously talking about the "look and feel" of the game, being how it controlled and the sprite-work, which is a contrast to the 3D Bravely Default, which I mentioned by name. Please do not misrepresent my words and create a conflict where there is none, and if you must question what I meant by such a simple statement that you don't understand, do it in a less antagonistic way that won't derail and kill your own thread.
You literally said "but unlike Bravely Default, this one looks and feels like it's straight out of a mid-90s SNES RPG, which makes it all the more appealing to me."
I took you on what you said word for word. You compared Octopath Traveller to Bravely Default AND mid 90's RPGs in that statement. I agree with you with the Bravely Default comparison, but disagree with you on the mid 90's RPG comparison.
That's cool. Nothing wrong with a difference of opinion.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
wrote a response but my internet cut out before i could post it,and i don't wanna rewrite it so basically

i played seiken densetsu 3 for a bit a long time ago and it was cool,never got a chance to beat it though,im really looking forward to octopath traveler

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom