• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Will Nintendo ever make a TRUE BOTW prequel?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
It would've been nice if some things were posted in spoiler tags because not everybody has played or finished AoC yet. Even when probably most of the members already know what's going to happen it would still be appreciated to either use spoiler tags or add spoilers in the thread title because the game hasn't been released that long ago yet.
With that out of the way..... I'm one of the very few who actually liked the story. It's with warrior games more like you either going to hate it or love it. There's hardly an inbetween I think. With the timeline being stretched out to over 10.000 years there might be a chance we're going to get games about what happened during that huge gap. So maybe they might not make a direct prequel but maybe a game that will tell us what's going to happen during the events before BotW. I don't doubt more games will be made. The quality of the game(s) however is another story ;)

I actually really enjoyed the story we got. I always felt that Breath of The Wild's backstory was wasted on the game itself. The idea of just having a game where Link and Zelda team up with four heroes from various tribes to save the world sounds awesome, kind of like a team you'd assemble in a Breath of Fire game. I especially love the champions, their personalities, their fighting abilities and their designs, and I hated how they were all reduced to optional plot coupons and power ups just for Link in BOTW, since he's the only one that gets to be the hero in that game.

Age of Calamity feels like just about everything I wanted out of the backstory, and with Dynasty Warriors style gameplay, it's a near perfect combination in my eyes.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
Wait, are we just ignoring the adult timeline here?
I think they consider Spirit Tracks separated from the other Wind Waker games for some reason. That, or they're like me and ignore the DS games entirely.

Also, no, BOTW is not the first one to have a trilogy.
Age of Calamity is set in a parallel timeline due to a time travelling egg, last thing I heard. Saying Age of Calamity is part of a "BOTW trilogy" is like saying Majora's Mask is part of an "ALttP Trilogy".

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think they consider Spirit Tracks separated from the other Wind Waker games for some reason. That, or they're like me and ignore the DS games entirely.

Also, no, BOTW is not the first one to have a trilogy.
Age of Calamity is set in a parallel timeline due to a time travelling egg, last thing I heard. Saying Age of Calamity is part of a "BOTW trilogy" is like saying Majora's Mask is part of an "ALttP Trilogy".
No, its definitely fair to call AoC part of a BotW trilogy. It's not a prequel, no, but it's still a game that uses BotW's story and characters as its basis and the story of AoC shows us that it still follows BotW's story progression even in an alternate timeline.

And no it's not the first Zelda trilogy. WW, PH, and ST are a trilogy and ALttP, LA, OoS, and OoA are a quadilogy.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
No, its definitely fair to call AoC part of a BotW trilogy. It's not a prequel, no, but it's still a game that uses BotW's story and characters as its basis and the story of AoC shows us that it still follows BotW's story progression even in an alternate timeline.

And no it's not the first Zelda trilogy. WW, PH, and ST are a trilogy and ALttP, LA, OoS, and OoA are a quadilogy.
Eh, agree to disagree.

Funny. A part of me hopes you're wrong but maybe not. We'll have to see how the series goes on after Botw's sequel, whether Nintendo will continue this trend of expanding a particular major title.
I kinda hate Nintendo now. I want a dark Zelda, but they just don't seem to want to make one. Maybe the people that call them a kid's company are right.

Seems like after Nintendo 64 they started rolling back the original darkness of 3D Zelda. Even Twilight Princess, a return to realistic Zelda, had a bit too many misplaced funny moments to be truly dark. Reminds me of a boy band trying too hard to be edgy, not truly sophisticated and serious like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.
I will never stop holding out hope Zelda will return to its darker 3D roots. I've seen glimpses of it in Breath of the Wild's sad story, the mummy Ganondorf in the sequel's trailer. I think the series is going in a very positive direction.

Definitely not for some. Being on this forum has made it clear to me that a lot of people want a "traditional" game. The same structure over and over with no meaningful changes or evolution.

What would you consider a meaningful change or evolution in the series? I know a lot of people want dungeons back in Botw's sequel, but I'm sure it'll still keep the open world.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
What would you consider a meaningful change or evolution in the series? I know a lot of people want dungeons back in Botw's sequel, but I'm sure it'll still keep the open world.

Dungeons never left Breath of the Wild, they just changed from the same form they've been using over and over for decades. I'd consider a meaningful evolution from Breath of the Wild to be actually putting effort into the characters. :cool:

Well, yeah, why wouldn't I want more of the same stuff that I already like?

As a gamer with franchises I follow over the years, I wouldn't want any of them to remain stagnant. If the sequels are just going to reiterate the same story, characters, and gameplay structure over and over with little meaningful change, why shouldn't I just play the previous games over and over? Zelda as a series is perhaps one of the most stagnant of all, refusing to so much as characterize its main villain outside of two or so throwaway sentences in a single game.

Dungeons never left Breath of the Wild, they just changed from the same form they've been using over and over for decades. I'd consider a meaningful evolution from Breath of the Wild to be actually putting effort into the characters. :cool:

Oh yeah, I forgot the Divine Beasts were just mini-dungeons, plus the shrines. Tell me about it, you don't know how much I wish they put more effort into the characters I yearn to see more of, see beyond just the basic glimpse in Botw and AoC. It's crazy to think how the four Champions are the first major Zelda characters with full voice acting, animated cutscenes, and being in two games now, yet they're still less known about than characters like Midna and Groose. :oops: Ambiguity is great, but one can go overboard.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Oh yeah, I forgot the Divine Beasts were just mini-dungeons, plus the shrines. Tell me about it, you don't know how much I wish they put more effort into the characters I yearn to see more of, see beyond just the basic glimpse in Botw and AoC. It's crazy to think how the four Champions are the first major Zelda characters with full voice acting, animated cutscenes, and being in two games now, yet they're still less known about than characters like Midna and Groose. :oops: Ambiguity is great, but one can go overboard.

Yerp. It does feel like Breath of the Wild only put the token amount of effort into characterizing people, whittling them down till they were almost single word characters traits. Even Zelda, perhaps the most characterized person in the game, is quietly pushed off screen so the game doesn't have to worry about pesky things like actually making Link interact with her.

That's in addition to Link himself, who is still such a noncharacter that he's only a step away from forgetting to breathe. And while I enjoy this version of Ganon being more apocalyptic (and actually doing something villainous), it also conveniently put the character in a place where they once again didn't have to pretend to care about his personality or motivations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom