• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Will Nintendo ever make a TRUE BOTW prequel?

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
Isn't the entire idea of a BOTW prequel A. redundant since the Calamity was explained in flashbacks, and B. stupid since the game's backstory was mysterious on purpose, since Link had amnesia and that was the entire point of the game?

I wasn't planning on getting Age of Calamity anyway, since #FreeMelee and all that. Unfortunately, that commitment also means I won't be playing Pikmin 3 Deluxe anytime soon. That sucks, the demo really got me hooked on Pikmin.

The only Zelda prequel we need is Valley of the Flood :p
Y'know what? This got me thinking, Miyamoto really shouldn't have stepped in with Four Swords and stopped it from being about the Imprisoning War. That would've been really cool, honestly. And the Retro project with Sheik explaining the Majora-Twilight gap, aw man... We missed out big.

D

Deleted member 14134

I don't get why they ever would. BOTW showed every major plot point of that event, all it would be doing is filling in the insignificant details on how it played out. The only way they could make it interesting is shoehorn a bunch of plot points in that was never intended to be in the original story or, change the ending which is exactly what they did on both counts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I kinda hate Nintendo now. I want a dark Zelda, but they just don't seem to want to make one. Maybe the people that call them a kid's company are right.
Oh they're definitely a kids company. The only exception would probably be Twilight Princess. I'm pretty sure that's the only T rated game they've ever made. So much in that, namely Midna's outfit, but theres a few other things that make me wonder how Nintendo came out with it. And look at the piece of art they made when they got adventerous. But oh well...

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think the main problem people have with AoC is that they got lead on by the marketing of the game. Which is fair. The trailers intentionally changed scenes to be different so as not to give away the plot. The advertisements never mentioned a word about time travel. Our only source on that was the demo. People who didn't play it and didn't hear from anyone else about it probably went in expecting a prequel to BotW's events, and got crushed when that's not what it was.

That said, it was pretty obvious what would happen from the demo. I prepared myself for it and that's part of why I ended up liking the story. The trailers also don't entirely add up with BotW's version of things, either, even without mentioning the time travelling. But that's not to say the marketing team isn't at fault, they were absolutely really scummy about it and I'm still mad about that even though I liked the game.

With all that out of the way, @Bok Chan Sama is right, they'd have to really embellish things to make it a game worth playing and reading about it in Creating a Champion is probably as close as we're gonna get to learning about BotW's Great Calamity. AoC is more of a sequel prequel, and that's fine. Its story doesn't impact BotW's, nor does it contradict. It works as is, and is probably the better way for us to see the Great Calamity because fighting through hordes of malice and monsters was pretty gosh darn awesome and really sold the gravity of the Calamity to us.

AwdryFan1997

I kinda hate Nintendo now. I want a dark Zelda, but they just don't seem to want to make one. Maybe the people that call them a kid's company are right.
I don't really want a dark Zelda, but I do know that everyone else wants one, and I think that's the best course of action for Nintendo at this point. I've got hopes for BOTW2, but I doubt it'll meet expectations, considering we'll be revisiting the same Hyrule, if Eiji Aonuma's comments are accurate.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Y'know what? This got me thinking, Miyamoto really shouldn't have stepped in with Four Swords and stopped it from being about the Imprisoning War. That would've been really cool, honestly. And the Retro project with Sheik explaining the Majora-Twilight gap, aw man... We missed out big.
I thought it was Four Swords Adventures that started as a concept of explaining the Imprisoning War, instead the idea was cut but they decided to keep Ganon in the game anyway and to bundle it with A Link to the Past.

I think I remember that spin-off game with Sheik being hinted back in 2009-2010 but I don't remember any evidence that it was actually handed over to a dev team at Nintendo or Retro.

AwdryFan1997

I thought it was Four Swords Adventures that started as a concept of explaining the Imprisoning War, instead the idea was cut but they decided to keep Ganon in the game anyway and to bundle it with A Link to the Past.

I think I remember that spin-off game with Sheik being hinted back in 2009-2010 but I don't remember any evidence that it was actually handed over to a dev team at Nintendo or Retro.
Yeah, it was FSA. I kinda just call it Four Swords because I'm too lazy to type out the full title. But it would've made more since if it were the GBA version. Playing ALttP and then playing a prequel.

There was an interview iirc where either Aonuma or Miyamoto talked about bringing Sheik back in an upcoming game, and then shortly after the former Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Power made a vague comment of "a new Zelda game with the return Sheik".
The last thing I heard, there was a leak a while back revealing several projects Retro handled that never came to fruition, such as one featuring Boo and the other featuring Sheik in between Majora and Twilight. I've also heard other accounts that it was just a generic Sheikah, so maybe some details got conflated along the way. Perhaps it would've put the unused Sheik design from TP to good use, instead of simply appearing in Brawl.

Another prequel we need? A Minish Cap prequel, featuring the Hero of Man. Heck, maybe it could tie in with Skyward Sword somehow.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Yeah, it was FSA. I kinda just call it Four Swords because I'm too lazy to type out the full title. But it would've made more since if it were the GBA version. Playing ALttP and then playing a prequel.

The last thing I heard, there was a leak a while back revealing several projects Retro handled that never came to fruition, such as one featuring Boo and the other featuring Sheik in between Majora and Twilight. I've also heard other accounts that it was just a generic Sheikah, so maybe some details got conflated along the way. Perhaps it would've put the unused Sheik design from TP to good use, instead of simply appearing in Brawl.

Another prequel we need? A Minish Cap prequel, featuring the Hero of Man. Heck, maybe it could tie in with Skyward Sword somehow.

Leaked Zelda game concepts always feel like this:

"Hey, I have this cool idea for a game that puts more emphasis on continuity and more meaningful plot."

"Okay, but what if we didn't?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom