• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Will Nintendo ever make a TRUE BOTW prequel?

I like Age of Calamity. I really do. The gameplay is awesome, creative, fun, and thankfully the bulk of the game with such a god-awful, fanservicy story and poor, shallow characterizations. Some of the cutscenes have that emotional depth from BOTW cutting through, like Zelda meeting her father in the Temple of Time, and that brief glimpse of Zelda's childhood. And despite it being an alternate timeline, you can still figure out how some of the true backstory went with what's shown in AOC, like King Rhoam getting killed by a Guardian, etc. I also love Terrako, and some of the interactions of the characters.
But like many others I'm still massively disappointed with the game. It's not a prequel to the events of BOTW, and it was wrong of Nintendo to falsely advertise it as such. I know it'd be a bit ridiculous at this point for them to make another pre-BOTW game, yet I don't think it's impossible. AOC's story was freakin' ridiculous and I never thought it was possible, yet it happened. I realize now Hyrule Warriors isn't the ideal way to make a proper prequel to one of the greatest games of all time, that a traditional Zelda game would better live up to what took place a hundred years ago in BOTW.
Am I the only one who kind of hopes for this? A part of me thinks it's a good thing if they never explain what happened pre-Calamity, leave it all to the fans' imaginations, yet if they did it right, a true prequel could add so much depth, be amazing for the Zelda franchise. Is Nintendo too afraid to go dark, make an apocalyptic game? They made MM, and say BOTW's sequel will be darker. Again, I'm okay if they never make a true prequel to BOTW yet I can't help but wonder.
I know some of you hate BOTW and don't care, yet it's the first Zelda game to officially have a trilogy. Link's Awakening got a full re-make, and I think it's possible Ocarina of Time can get the FF7 treatment sometime in the far future. Breath of The Wild's deep story and impactful events of a hundred years ago isn't something that will be forgotten.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
If a movie/Netflix adaptation ever happens, this would be an interesting thing to make it about. Anything of that sort would have to be a new story imo, so why not canonize it to the games?

Nope, AoC was their chance and they blew it. BotW2 will no doubt have some new meat for the lore and backstories, but nothing that would be seen first-hand.

Nope, AoC was their chance and they blew it. BotW2 will no doubt have some new meat for the lore and backstories, but nothing that would be seen first-hand.
That's why I'm so disappointed, if they were ever to make a prequel to BOTW, why not AOC as it was marketed? I still think a traditional Zelda game would be a better route for a true prequel, and I'm kind of glad they went with the alternate timeline in AOC with its over-the-top gameplay and fanservicy story, but the chances of another pre-BOTW are low. Again, maybe it's best if they leave it a mystery, but the uncaptured potential, you know? *sigh*

Age of Calamity just proves that the writers aren't gutsy enough to give a game a bad ending. Instead they gave it a bad ending. That is, a badly written ending that is "happy" but at a horrible cost. I wouldn't trust them with an actual prequel.
God, I wanted to see the Champions' death scenes so bad. Them having flashbacks of their lives, regrets, what made them turn into ghosts who couldn't move on. One of the only things I liked about AoC's story is that it confirmed if Zelda had awakened her power earlier, her father, Urbosa, Daruk, Mipha, and Revali wouldn't have died. Imagine the weight of that on Legend of Zelda's heroine.
Hate to say it, but the happy ending takes away from that emotional depth and impact, what I loved about some of the characters. They never experience it, grow into what we see in BOTW.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Eh. People saying that they want a real prequel to Breath of the Wild remind me of those who say they want the next Legend of Zelda game to be traditional. The last thing I wanted was some by the numbers prequel with no new surprises. We already know how the events leading up to BotW went. I don't see any point in releasing a game that just goes over them again.

That's why I'm so disappointed, if they were ever to make a prequel to BOTW, why not AOC as it was marketed? I still think a traditional Zelda game would be a better route for a true prequel, and I'm kind of glad they went with the alternate timeline in AOC with its over-the-top gameplay and fanservicy story, but the chances of another pre-BOTW are low. Again, maybe it's best if they leave it a mystery, but the uncaptured potential, you know? *sigh*
I feel you there, I've been playing Zelda games for almost 15 years and this sort of thing still rustles my jimmies. I was hoping that a future HW game would cover the Imprisoning War, but AoC really put a wet blanket over that.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
It won't happen, this was their opportunity to do it and they ruined it all so that there would be a happy ending instead of the true ending. Altering events for an alternate timeline isn't a bad concept, but it is bad when the product was advertised as if it wouldn't be an alternate scenario of what happened 100 years ago. I agree with what people said above, they didn't have the guts to have a story route leading to an ending where the Champions die and Link gets put in the Shrine of Resurrection. So if they couldn't do it with the game that was supposed to fill in that bit of the lore, it's never going to happen, they'll never retread the same ground.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Age of Calamity just proves that the writers aren't gutsy enough to give a game a bad ending. Instead they gave it a bad ending. That is, a badly written ending that is "happy" but at a horrible cost. I wouldn't trust them with an actual prequel.

I mean, have you seen Zelda game plots? Gutsy isn't how I'd describe many of them.

Eh. People saying that they want a real prequel to Breath of the Wild remind me of those who say they want the next Legend of Zelda game to be traditional. The last thing I wanted was some by the numbers prequel with no new surprises. We already know how the events leading up to BotW went. I don't see any point in releasing a game that just goes over them again.
By "traditional" I mean a mainline Zelda game. Well, we don't actually know what happened 100 years ago besides the brief summary in BOTW; AoC is an alternate timeline. But I understand it'd be kind of ridiculous to go over pre-Calamity again when there's already one game about it.
It won't happen, this was their opportunity to do it and they ruined it all so that there would be a happy ending instead of the true ending. Altering events for an alternate timeline isn't a bad concept, but it is bad when the product was advertised as if it wouldn't be an alternate scenario of what happened 100 years ago. I agree with what people said above, they didn't have the guts to have a story route leading to an ending where the Champions die and Link gets put in the Shrine of Resurrection. So if they couldn't do it with the game that was supposed to fill in that bit of the lore, it's never going to happen, they'll never retread the same ground.
Yes, the false advertising...just WHY? Nintendo knew people wanted to see what happened a hundred years ago in BOTW. They lied, so people would give the game a chance. Even this iconic image promoting Age of Calamity's first trailer is a lie:

ef5e7c1e219ad0e9eb6b687852020a3b5834444b.gif

The Champions aren't staring down the Calamity, and Revali isn't the first one to step towards it. He is, in fact, stepping towards Zelda to begin a rant about Link as they stand over the Great Hyrule Forest; the cutscene is modified so that they're wearing their Champions' outfits and I don't know where that orange glow came from.

I don't think anything's impossible, so I still won't rule out Nintendo re-visiting BOTW in the far future. But yes, it's highly unlikely with us already getting the sequel and all.

Quin

Disaster Master
No, we don't need one and I honestly don't even want one. Way more excited to what BOTW2 may bring. After that I rather have new stuff than to dwell on these characters again.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
Oh, good, it's a non-canon anti-prequel, that's great. Glad I don't have to worry about spoilers anymore. Did the stupid egg just magically save the world? Because if so, this plot sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom