• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Will it really be worth the wait? Worries for the new game

Do you think it can really be worth the Wait

• Yes

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I ended up voting unsure. You see, I have numerous concerns, I'll admit. Most of them are similar to yours. I'm mostly worried that the story is going to take a backseat, and that would be a major problem for me, because I think the story is the most important thing of all. It's what gives the player a sense of purpose, a sense of meaning. If the story doesn't work it damages the game badly, in my opinion... Why do I have these concerns about the story? Well, mostly because of what we already know about the game. The thought of being able to (technically) finish the game almost immediately is very worrying for me. I know it will almost be an impossible feat to finish the game so early, but it still bugs me, I don't know why. I think it's because it seems to be an attempt to appeal towards people who are more interested in the action than the story.
I see where you're coming from, but it's really hard to be able to say this when we know nothing of the story so far. We can't talk about storyline elements when almost nothing of the story has been revealed, and that was done on purpose.

Unlike you, Deus, I really enjoyed Skyward Sword. Why? Because of the story, because of the connection towards the characters. For all Skyward Swords faults character development wasn't one of them. Right from the beginning we see that Link and Zelda are very close, so when she falls down to the Surface we feel a sense of despair, a sense of loss, making everything feel more urgent. I worry that Breath of the Wild will be just Link waking up and hanging out with an old guy for a bit and then being told that he has to save the world and stop Ganon (I'm really glad that he's back, by the way). And just like that we're off to the races. Link doesn't even have a companion in this one, apparently. If it does goes down like that then I fear I will feel disconnected from the story, lacking that feeling of urgency.
Interesting. Because I got none of that from SS. I thought character development was sorely lacking. The entire story was forced into the official timeline. And I again say that you can't say you're going to be disconnected from the story since we know nothing of it. Maybe the lack of companion is part of the story, that feeling of doing it alone could have a part to play.

Another worry I have is regarding the sheer size of the map and a lack of villages/towns. Such a big, big world will only have impact if it's filled with different villages/towns. I can't help but have a sneaky feeling that we'll be getting none at all (maybe one, at the very most), and that's not good news for me (yes, Skyward Sword lacked this, too, but at least we had Skyloft. We must also take into account the difference in size between the map of Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild). I think they're going to go down this route in order to convey a feeling of isolation. It's clear to me that they want the game to feel like it's taking place in a post apocalyptic world, and if that's the case we're going to get very, very few villages/towns and I completely understand that. It's just...it doesn't sound like a Zelda game, to me.
They've already said there will be multiple towns.

Of course, I could be wrong. All this could be a good thing. After all, the franchise was in need of change, I'll be the first to admit that. I just don't want them to go overboard with these changes, if you know what I mean... Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see. I still have faith in Nintendo.
To be fair, few Zelda games have had incredible stories (there are a few exceptions). I've always thought Zelda lent itself to deep story-driven gameplay, but that hasn't really been the case so far. I would like this to be that game, but if it isn't, Zelda has also always been known for the puzzle-solving and action gameplay. That doesn't seem to be going anywhere. In fact, with the different weapon types, it seems they're making combat even better. But, as you said, it's hard to know from what we've seen.

In reality, despite how much they showed, they really didn't give us much. A lot of the things we're discussing in this and other threads are still speculation. Nintendo did a good job of showing a lot, but revealing little.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
it'll be fine. prejudging on a stripped E3 trailer ain't the way to go. wait for the Nintendo Direct trailer in February, then watch gameplay when it launches in March if you are so unsure.

TheRockinStallion

If I'm not back in 15 minutes, just wait longer!
Didn't we cover that already? I'M A DUDE!
I think the biggest mistake a lot of fans make is building their expectations up to an astronomical standard and are let down when the finished product is far below their mark. Then there are those (like me) who try their best to suspend any expectation. I'm excited but it's mostly because of what I've actually seen and not what I hope will be in it.

That said, I do hope that the save system will be reasonable since Hyrule is so vast. Looking for a save point would get a little tedious.

OT: From what I've seen, I think it will be totally worth it!! This will actually be the first console Zelda game I will be buying upon its release so that in itself is exciting!!

I see where you're coming from, but it's really hard to be able to say this when we know nothing of the story so far. We can't talk about storyline elements when almost nothing of the story has been revealed, and that was done on purpose.

Interesting. Because I got none of that from SS. I thought character development was sorely lacking. The entire story was forced into the official timeline. And I again say that you can't say you're going to be disconnected from the story since we know nothing of it. Maybe the lack of companion is part of the story, that feeling of doing it alone could have a part to play.

They've already said there will be multiple towns.

To be fair, few Zelda games have had incredible stories (there are a few exceptions). I've always thought Zelda lent itself to deep story-driven gameplay, but that hasn't really been the case so far. I would like this to be that game, but if it isn't, Zelda has also always been known for the puzzle-solving and action gameplay. That doesn't seem to be going anywhere. In fact, with the different weapon types, it seems they're making combat even better. But, as you said, it's hard to know from what we've seen.

In reality, despite how much they showed, they really didn't give us much. A lot of the things we're discussing in this and other threads are still speculation. Nintendo did a good job of showing a lot, but revealing little.

I just have this feeling that Nintendo are going for a post-apocalyptic world kind of experience. That just really worries me, for some reason. It makes me think we'll be losing a lot of a story and a chunk of dialogue. In fact, I remember reading somewhere online (I can't recall where) that this title will include little reading dialogue (maybe because of voice acting, I don't know), only a third of what was featured in Skyward Sword.

As for the towns, well, I wasn't aware that Nintendo had confirmed that there would be multiple towns in the game (can you remember who said it?). If that's so, then great, that's one of my fears laid to rest.

Character development in Skyward Sword was very well handled, in my opinion. Just look at Groose, for example. We start off hating him, but by the end he's one of the most endearing characters, and feels like a true friend to Link/us. This transition from bully to reluctant hero to heroic individual is expertly handled, because even at the beginning (when we dislike him) he still has a few endearing qualities, and on replaying the game (and knowing that he's going to redeem himself) we pick up on these hidden virtues right from the get go. He's a diamond in the rough. Another example would be Ghirahim. We can tell right away that he's clearly deranged, the game doesn't lie to us in making him appear sane (like they did with Zant). But he does still have a polite demeanor, even promising not to kill Link (how many villains have made that promise?) However, as the game progresses we slowly see his insanity bubbling to the surface. This gets worse and worse until he's acting like a true mad man by the very end (his maniacal laughing when Demise is about to be released is when he really seems to snap). This is much better development than we got with Zant, who went crazy and had a mental breakdown out of the blue and without any prior warning signs.

It is hard to know anything from what we've seen, but I can't help but be a little worried about Breath of the Wild.(what can I say, I'm a pessimist). As I said before, we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't think it will be worth the wait. Fortunately, I don't care too much about that part since I've had plenty of things to occupy me these last few years.

However, I'm very worried that this game will blow up in my face. I can already tell some parts of this game are going to be bad, which makes it hard for me to be optimistic.

I don't think it will be worth the wait. Fortunately, I don't care too much about that part since I've had plenty of things to occupy me these last few years.

However, I'm very worried that this game will blow up in my face. I can already tell some parts of this game are going to be bad, which makes it hard for me to be optimistic.

What parts do you think are going to be bad? Everything looks good, to me. I'm just worried that they're going to mess up the story.

I think they should release a short demo on the eShop because many are unsure of whether it is worth the wait...

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I just have this feeling that Nintendo are going for a post-apocalyptic world kind of experience. That just really worries me, for some reason. It makes me think we'll be losing a lot of a story and a chunk of dialogue. In fact, I remember reading somewhere online (I can't recall where) that this title will include little reading dialogue (maybe because of voice acting, I don't know), only a third of what was featured in Skyward Sword.

As long as it's quality, I don't mind. Now, I know that good writing > good voice acting, but I am actually one of those Zelda purists that actually wanted voice acting (except for Link, of course). Now, I'll be the first to tell you that Morrowind's dialogue was miles better than Skyrim's, and that is partially because it was written instead of spoken. That said, I actually think this will be fine.

As for the towns, well, I wasn't aware that Nintendo had confirmed that there would be multiple towns in the game (can you remember who said it?). If that's so, then great, that's one of my fears laid to rest.

I believe it was Aonuma-san himself, during one of the demos.

Character development in Skyward Sword was very well handled, in my opinion. Just look at Groose, for example. We start off hating him, but by the end he's one of the most endearing characters, and feels like a true friend to Link/us. This transition from bully to reluctant hero to heroic individual is expertly handled, because even at the beginning (when we dislike him) he still has a few endearing qualities, and on replaying the game (and knowing that he's going to redeem himself) we pick up on these hidden virtues right from the get go. He's a diamond in the rough. Another example would be Ghirahim. We can tell right away that he's clearly deranged, the game doesn't lie to us in making him appear sane (like they did with Zant). But he does still have a polite demeanor, even promising not to kill Link (how many villains have made that promise?) However, as the game progresses we slowly see his insanity bubbling to the surface. This gets worse and worse until he's acting like a true mad man by the very end (his maniacal laughing when Demise is about to be released is when he really seems to snap). This is much better development than we got with Zant, who went crazy and had a mental breakdown out of the blue and without any prior warning signs.

I'll just go with "I completely disagree," and call it a day. We could spend pages of this thread talking about how shallow the characters were in Skyward Sword (in my view), and you'll counter, and in the end, I will still think it's one of the worst games that has ever been made, and you'll disagree, and we'll be in the same place as we are now. I don't remember the point of this, so I'll just move on.

It is hard to know anything from what we've seen, but I can't help but be a little worried about Breath of the Wild.(what can I say, I'm a pessimist). As I said before, we'll just have to wait and see.

I tend to be fairly pessimistic myself, but I've gotten a good feeling from what we've seen. I don't think this is going to be the "best game evar", but it'll definitely be worth the wait, at least it seems that way.

I'd also like to know which parts you know are going to be bad, and how you've come to this conclusion based on the complete lack of information.

RinkuTheRuffian

Punk Rock Trash
I've not heard this rumour anywhere. I don't know if it's even true. I believe there was no present and future ideas for the original Zelda. But feel free to prove me wrong.
"With the creation of Link, Miyamoto said that the Nintendo's limited color palette hindered what they wanted to do with him. Miyamoto and designer Takashi Tezuka wanted him to have pointy ears, which made him elf-like, which made them think of Peter Pan, which is who they used as inspiration for the character. Also, the original Zelda was apparently supposed to take place in the past and the future with Link collecting computer chips. The name Link was chosen because he would be a link between the past and the future."
Game Informer's interview with Shigeru Miyamoto on the future of F-Zero and the creation of Link - 2012/11/03

Since I'm replying to two people, I'll forego the quoting.

Well for starters, the story. I know Zelda never has good stories since they're not considered important, but that isn't the ground for my assumption. I think I can confidently call it now that BotW's plot will be as follows; Zelda wakes Link up, Link begins a quest to stop Ganon, Link turns out to have been manipulated into freeing Ganon and the next two thirds of the game will be about powering up to defeat him, none of the characters I love will get anything beyond a quick cameo. The rest will just be inconsequential details.

Along with forseeing an unimpressive story, there are the things that the demos have already shown that struck me the wrong way; p*ss easy gameplay, the weapon system, an art style I'll agree to disagree on, lack of good music so far, an overworld that seems to be structured on looking for something to do, and other little complaints.

Now there are things I do like about this game, don't get me wrong, but I don't need much information to work with to make judgement calls on games. I may sound like I'm just nitpicking, but the way I see it, I'm smelling something sour.

D

Deleted member 81859

God, I'm so concerned about the plot. The puzzle elements are essential to the story, and if you miss them, you miss plot. With how large the world is, it will be easy to miss these kinds of things. I'm rather salty about that.

I do hope that Zelda (who else could the voice be) directs you to plot stuff. Not necessarily holding your hand, but hints. The player should have a choice between a linear and non-linear experience, between choosing the direct path like in other entries, or fighting Ganon naked right off the bat.

I'm so upset to learn I may not recieve the entire experience on my first playthrough. There's also the chance that we may not recieve an entire plot, but Nintendo will forego that for all that "lore" bull**** we see in Dark Souls and Shadow of the Colossus. Nah. **** that. I'm here for a narative, not random details scattered everywhere.

Weapons are too easy to break. The shields in SS were annoying, but they didn't break in two hits. Runes replacing regular items makes me concerned. Why are we using an iphone? Bruh gimme a green tunic.

I didn't come here until after my hype wore off a bit so I could take another look that wouldn't be bias... idk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't come here until after my hype wore off a bit so I could take another look that wouldn't be bias... idk.
I get you totally. What you said is totally Zelda. Well Zelda before BotW. BotW forces to look differently at what Zelda games are as they'll never be the same again. A good thing, about thime that tired stale format was changed up.
I personally quite like the little tidbits of lore scattered everywhere. It makes you think more about the lore, not just have it handed to you on a silver platter. Gives the story more of a mistery because you will not know everything till later on in the game. You'll be wanting to search the world more to find answers to the lore questions you have.

I am sure there will be a more linear path to the game if you so choose it and do not explore much else. But then you're missing much of the fun the game will have to offer.

She shields in SS were not that annoying, well I would not know, I didn't even use a shield in SS at all, apart from the last boss with the Hylian Shield. I just did the game Bloodborne style. It was hard but not very hard to do this.

Grinding materials - one of the worst things in SS, unfortunately I think will be back in BotW however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom