• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Will it really be worth the wait? Worries for the new game

Do you think it can really be worth the Wait

• Yes

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'm certainly pleased with what I have seen so far of the new game, the new mechanics and world look to be fun and we still haven't seen all of it. I don't think the graphics are too great in certain shots due to the Wii U's limitations but on the NX the poor texturing that exists in some places will probably be corrected.

Even so, 6 years to wait for a game is a long time. There are other great open world games that have been made in shorter time periods. I still think that however good this title is there is the possibility of it not living up to expectations brought about by the long development time. What would be even worse is if this is another Skyward Sword, a game that a large number of long time fans were disappointed with, especially after a 5 year development time.

I have my worries for the title, most of them based on what we haven't been shown yet. I worry the world could just be so distracting and activities so numerous that the main plot gets sidelined. A problem I found with fallout 4 is that there felt to be no real urgency to the plot and the main story took a backseat. I hope it goes more the way of the Witcher 3 where there were many side quests but the main story still felt like the focus. This brings me to the next point. Often in Zelda games the plots can be quite simplistic and in SS's case (but not exclusively) contradicts established lore. I hope they don't take too many liberties with it and enrich what we already have and explain some of the burning questions of the fans rather than retcon a load of things.

With SS the musical score was also sub par. There were a few good pieces of music but the majority was forgettable and some music was downright inappropriate in my eyes such as the battle with the stalfos enemies where a waltz plays which made me want to dance with the bony bastard rather than fight it.

Do you think this game can really be worth the wait? If my worries are laid to rest in the coming months or when playing I think it can, though of course I see the very real possibility of it not living up. What are your concerns about the upcoming game and do you think it can live up to it's long development time?

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
Any game that gets delayed has the potential to be worth the wait. They've played their cards too close to their chest to say for certain whether it's going to be worth said wait. For all we know, we're going to get another Metroid: Other M and 3 significant existing games are going to be dismissed as non canon because the writers are **** at checking their own lore (cough, Akira Toriyama).

My guess is they decided to launch it alongside the NX after delaying it the second time, and the last year or 2 has been dedicated solely to hunting for bugs. Story development has (hopefully) been addressed a long time ago. I don't want another BioShock Infinite on our hands, where it looked pretty much finished 3 years before it launched, with gorgeous aesthetics and an absolute tonne of new features showcased for the game, was delayed for a few years and the story still felt like it was taken from a bottom place at a 5 minute story competition somewhere.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Any game that gets delayed has the potential to be worth the wait. They've played their cards too close to their chest to say for certain whether it's going to be worth said wait. For all we know, we're going to get another Metroid: Other M and 3 significant existing games are going to be dismissed as non canon because the writers are **** at checking their own lore (cough, Akira Toriyama).

My guess is they decided to launch it alongside the NX after delaying it the second time, and the last year or 2 has been dedicated solely to hunting for bugs. Story development has (hopefully) been addressed a long time ago. I don't want another BioShock Infinite on our hands, where it looked pretty much finished 3 years before it launched, with gorgeous aesthetics and an absolute tonne of new features showcased for the game, was delayed for a few years and the story still felt like it was taken from a bottom place at a 5 minute story competition somewhere.
I liked the story of Bioshock infinite.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Mmmmmmmmmmmmaybe.

I think its pretty lame though that the game will be better on NX when at its heart its a wiiU game.

Why wouldn't it be better on the NX? It's going to be a more powerful machine. The only thing the Wii U had going for it is the gamepad which Aoununa considered to be an intrusive distraction. Due to this he then scrapped most of it's features in BoTW.

During development it is clear they have had to take liberties with the games appearance and performance due to the weak nature of the Wii U. With the NX they can finally make it look and perform how they wanted it to.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I think the game will live up to the hype. You have to remember, a large chunk of this delay was due to Nintendo wanting to put this on NX. The whole delay was not due to changing the game. Overall, you have to look at the footage we've seen and say that most of the game has not changed too much. It is impossible to say that none of it was due to changes, but I think a big part was to make sure that the game made it on NX.

That's why I think this delay is a bit overstated. Yes, it is the longest we've been without a major Zelda console release, but it would be different if this delay had been entirely to rework the game from scratch. This was, at least majorly, a business decision more than a development one.

The answer, for me, is yeah, the game can still live up to the hype.

I really want to like the game, but some small things are holding me back from liking it... not a big fan of technology or futuristic stuff in Zelda. Robots and stuff are really unfitting. Part of what made me love Zelda is the medieval fantasy setting. Seeing it's genre change bothers me.

RinkuTheRuffian

Punk Rock Trash
I really want to like the game, but some small things are holding me back from liking it... not a big fan of technology or futuristic stuff in Zelda. Robots and stuff are really unfitting. Part of what made me love Zelda is the medieval fantasy setting. Seeing it's genre change bothers me.
The first Zelda was meant to allow you to travel between present and future, but the NES' console limitations squandered that concept... Zelda has been meaning to touch up on the futuristic concept for years but they never could, but with the birth of more innovative technology for developers, Nintendo can finally inch their way back to what they originally intended for the series.

Anyway, I'm pretty indifferent with the delays; my less logical side of my brain just wants to play a good Zelda game. But I know I don't want it to be bugged beyond playability so I'll wait.

I ended up voting unsure. You see, I have numerous concerns, I'll admit. Most of them are similar to yours. I'm mostly worried that the story is going to take a backseat, and that would be a major problem for me, because I think the story is the most important thing of all. It's what gives the player a sense of purpose, a sense of meaning. If the story doesn't work it damages the game badly, in my opinion... Why do I have these concerns about the story? Well, mostly because of what we already know about the game. The thought of being able to (technically) finish the game almost immediately is very worrying for me. I know it will almost be an impossible feat to finish the game so early, but it still bugs me, I don't know why. I think it's because it seems to be an attempt to appeal towards people who are more interested in the action than the story.

Unlike you, Deus, I really enjoyed Skyward Sword. Why? Because of the story, because of the connection towards the characters. For all Skyward Swords faults character development wasn't one of them. Right from the beginning we see that Link and Zelda are very close, so when she falls down to the Surface we feel a sense of despair, a sense of loss, making everything feel more urgent. I worry that Breath of the Wild will be just Link waking up and hanging out with an old guy for a bit and then being told that he has to save the world and stop Ganon (I'm really glad that he's back, by the way). And just like that we're off to the races. Link doesn't even have a companion in this one, apparently. If it does goes down like that then I fear I will feel disconnected from the story, lacking that feeling of urgency.

Another worry I have is regarding the sheer size of the map and a lack of villages/towns. Such a big, big world will only have impact if it's filled with different villages/towns. I can't help but have a sneaky feeling that we'll be getting none at all (maybe one, at the very most), and that's not good news for me (yes, Skyward Sword lacked this, too, but at least we had Skyloft. We must also take into account the difference in size between the map of Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild). I think they're going to go down this route in order to convey a feeling of isolation. It's clear to me that they want the game to feel like it's taking place in a post apocalyptic world, and if that's the case we're going to get very, very few villages/towns and I completely understand that. It's just...it doesn't sound like a Zelda game, to me.

Of course, I could be wrong. All this could be a good thing. After all, the franchise was in need of change, I'll be the first to admit that. I just don't want them to go overboard with these changes, if you know what I mean... Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see. I still have faith in Nintendo.

The first Zelda was meant to allow you to travel between present and future, but the NES' console limitations squandered that concept
I've not heard this rumour anywhere. I don't know if it's even true. I believe there was no present and future ideas for the original Zelda. But feel free to prove me wrong.
What we do know though is do to a design/programming error, not all of the space/capacity of the NES cart was utilised for Zelda 1, so they used the rest by making a 2nd quest.

I cant think of a Zelda game that wasn't. BotW looks incredible, and honestly it looks a lot more fun than most other open world games out there. Its a systems driven game, its beautiful sounds beautiful, and it looks like it has depth and breath of gameplay.

I cant think of a Zelda game that wasn't.
Triforce Heroes was not. That's the only Zelda game (apart from the CD-i and crossbow training crap).

BotW does look amazing so far. Even I who am known to be highly critical of Zelda games can't find much wrong about BotW, apart from the frame rate issues (which will no doubt be resolved on the NX). The aesthetics of BotW is not bad either, some will like it, others will not (I sort of don't), but can't complain. It still looks very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom