• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Will it really be worth the wait? Worries for the new game

Do you think it can really be worth the Wait

• Yes

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

Mange

Bitte benutzen Sie Google Übersetzer
Definitely, yeah.

Nintendo increased the hype and the expectations for BotW with all of their shifts, they are not allowed to fail.
Otherwise they could obviously anger many Zelda fans (including me).
But I have to say that I look very sceptical towards BotW. It seems that it'll break many Zelda formulas, even more than ALBW and I've always been very conservative with Zelda. But I'm sure they'll produce a very good game which will be worth all the waiting even though it probably won't beat Majora's Mask for me ^^

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I think I can confidently call it now that BotW's plot will be as follows; Zelda wakes Link up, Link begins a quest to stop Ganon, Link turns out to have been manipulated into freeing Ganon and the next two thirds of the game will be about powering up to defeat him, none of the characters I love will get anything beyond a quick cameo. The rest will just be inconsequential details.

I just don't get where you're getting this. I am not saying you're wrong, you could be right for all I know. But I'm curious as to how you're coming to these assumptions from the very limited information we've gotten.

Along with forseeing an unimpressive story, there are the things that the demos have already shown that struck me the wrong way; p*ss easy gameplay, the weapon system, an art style I'll agree to disagree on, lack of good music so far, an overworld that seems to be structured on looking for something to do, and other little complaints.

Now there are things I do like about this game, don't get me wrong, but I don't need much information to work with to make judgement calls on games. I may sound like I'm just nitpicking, but the way I see it, I'm smelling something sour.

I get all your concerns, and to be honest, I agree with them, but the part I bolded, italicized, and underlined. So far. We know nothing. I can't really get why people are complaining about something we know nothing about. Quite literally next to nothing.

I dunno. Did some new videos come out since I have been on last?

I just don't get where you're getting this. I am not saying you're wrong, you could be right for all I know. But I'm curious as to how you're coming to these assumptions from the very limited information we've gotten.

Judging by what most Zelda games are about at the end of the day, I see no reason to believe this one will be different when we are told right at the beginning that the game is about beating Ganon. And then there are the things we do know about it; Calamity Ganon was sealed in Hyrule castle 100 years ago after nearly destroying Hyrule. After the hundred years are done, Link is guided by a "mysterious" voice and CG is about to break free, (meaning he obviously will for the sake of a battle) likely by a mistake on Link or Zelda's part. And we already know powering up, though optional, is part of the procedure. Information about the main story is limited, but like I said, I never need much.

It's the sidequests and subplots we know nothing about, but that's a good thing.

I get all your concerns, and to be honest, I agree with them, but the part I bolded, italicized, and underlined. So far. We know nothing. I can't really get why people are complaining about something we know nothing about. Quite literally next to nothing.

I dunno. Did some new videos come out since I have been on last?

We saw plenty. We've seen hours worth of gameplay. It's the footage we've already seen that raised my concerns in the first place.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
We saw plenty. We've seen hours worth of gameplay. It's the footage we've already seen that raised my concerns in the first place.

Hours of gameplay in a very limited section of the game, with a lot of assets removed from the game so that they wouldn't spoil plot. They literally took things (settlements, for example) out of the demo so that they could show hours of gameplay without spoiling plot or more gameplay than they were ready/willing to show.

We saw hours of nothing.

I mean, you can see someone cooking on TV and they're using what looks like really spicy ingredients, and you can say "I wouldn't enjoy that; it's too spicy," but you don't know if it's too spicy if you don't eat it. You can't possibly.

Similarly, you can't know if the gameplay is easy, if you don't like the weapon system, or if you're going to have to wander around the overworld looking for stuff to do until you get your hands on the game and actually do it. It's one thing to watch a severely limited gameplay demo, and it's another to play the game yourself.

I could caution, however, that you're treading on dangerous waters: you're setting yourself up for confirmation bias.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
2% of 1 is almost nothing.
2% of 100 billion is still a very large number.

I thnk you get my point. 2% of what. This what is the important factor here.

After Skyward Sword, I'm very cautious, but I think @the8thark point is we've seen from E3 and heard in developer interviews enough to have a general sense of direction.
Nothing is conclusive, but E3 did hype me. Here's hoping for an awesome game!:rletsgo:

Aku

I think it will be well worth the wait. This game looks like it's sort of harking back to the first game, with you being able to go right up to the end boss should you choose, and making this Ganon out to be an inhuman being (like he was originally) and not a man he starts out being like in later entries. I like the first Zelda game the best out of all, and while I do mostly like the other ones they all also felt too samey for me as well.

I think this will be the Zelda that will be the OoT (or MM for some) for this generation, taking something old and making it new again. There are A LOT people exited for this game (like even the jaded employees at my local Game Stop are buzzing about it like happy bees) and this could be the Zelda that brings back the magic and makes people think about Zelda again, and not just as a little kid's game anymore.

I think if I had one Zelda thing to wish for (other then lost seasons/episodes/whatever of the old LOZ cartoon) is that this game starts a new Zelda golden age. Aonuma and co. are going to have a hard time topping this entry if it proves awesome, and that is the main thing that worries me. Can they top this one? Will they pull a Valve Software after this game and make each new Zelda entry more delicious and desirable then the last? (To the extent that people are still waiting for Half Life 3, Portal 3, and Left4Dead 3 years after the 2s came out, even calling the infamous glacial speed that Valve is taking on these as 'Valve Time.') Or will they turtle back to old conventions and do what they did before? I hope not.

So I hope that this will be the game that puts Zelda back into the public spotlight like it used to be, and hell, even inspire a movie or TV series if we're lucky.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
After Skyward Sword, I'm very cautious, but I think @the8thark point is we've seen from E3 and heard in developer interviews enough to have a general sense of direction.
Nothing is conclusive, but E3 did hype me. Here's hoping for an awesome game!:rletsgo:

Skyward Swords first reveal was uninspiring to begin with. 'I don't like the look of this' I remember thinking. I dont think Zelda has been great since TP. However for this new game I am actually going to give optimism one last chance.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
Skyward Swords first reveal was uninspiring to begin with.

though remember in interviews they hyped the game having four worlds of shorts, silent realm, the sky, overworld, and back in time? god what a joke those turned out to be

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
though remember in interviews they hyped the game having four worlds of shorts, silent realm, the sky, overworld, and back in time? god what a joke those turned out to be
The biggest problem for me is that is was sold as a great prequel to OOT yet it really didn't feel like one. It didn't really answer any questions we fans had.

There are A LOT people exited for this game (like even the jaded employees at my local Game Stop are buzzing about it like happy bees) and this could be the Zelda that brings back the magic and makes people think about Zelda again, and not just as a little kid's game anymore.
This is exactly why Nintendo need to sell the "Botw" is better and amaxing on the NX" sales pitch so very hard. If everyone wants BotW and they do, Nintendo need to make everyone want to play BotW on the NX. Once people have bought the NX for BotW, then selling them other NX games will be easier as they already have the console.

Sure the WiiU version will exist, but this game needs to be used hard to sell the NX. If BotW is not pushed hard on NX release day, Nintendo is royally screwed up.

Aonuma and co. are going to have a hard time topping this entry.
I think Aonuma will not ever top this as this will be the last big Zelda game he leads (in my opinion). The "and co" will take over and lead the series in new and wonderful ways.
Also topping the game is not the point. TP, MM and WW did not top OOT in the ways everyone wanted them too. That's ok. We didn't want a OOT clone, we wanted new different games. The BotW successor Zelda game will be the same. It might or might not be better than BotW. But at least it will be different to BotW. As good as a Zelda game is, if it's a clone of the previous one, people will rubbish it for that. Game variey is very important.

Will they pull a Valve Software after this game and make each new Zelda entry more delicious and desirable then the last?
I so hope not. Each new Zelda game needs to be developed as it's own separate amazing thing. Not just as an attempt to better the last game. If you put your best work into the new game, it will top the previous game anyway without even trying too. Every main Zelda game has been better than the last in certain ways (even the very flawed WW has some rather good points about it).

My point was that having seen 2% of the game is not the important part . . . well in isolation. If you know you've seen 2% then by comparison you know how roughly how big the other 98% is. The most important things from the demo is not what we learnt about the 2%, but what we can infer about the remaining 98%. 2% is not a fixed number, on it's own it's a meaningless statistic. You need to know of what you have seen the 2%.

The rough world size is one thing we can infer now from the demo. We know the part we've seen is 2% so we can extrapolate that to 100%. Same with everything else we have seen in the demo. But we need to be mindful that when Nintendo have said we've seen 2% of the game, it's not just 2% of the total map. It's 2% of the game. Many of the game assets on the starting plateau removed for the demo are part of the remainnig 98%. There will be a lot more to do on the plateau in the final game.

I am one of those people that likes to learn new things. I actually like even more to infer about what we as yet do not know from the information we do know. Infering, extrapolating, predicting and all that jazz. That's what I did with all of the demo footage I have seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom