• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

TPHD-Wii U Will it look better at release?

The negativity surrounding tphd is twofold, some people dont want it to exist at all, whereas others think it looks horrid.

I want to concentrate on the latter (because you cant stop it existing).

Tphd is still 4-ish months away from release. What we've seen so far is just a lighter and slightly clearer version of the original GC game. Its more remaster than remake (like those ugly hd trilogy collections on ps3).

But with so much time left to concentrate on graphics (since what we were shown was a working build on the wiiU) do you think that we'll ever see the level of HD we were all hoping for from this game or do you expect it to look the same as what we've already been shown at launch?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I expect it to look the same or very similar. When WWHD was revealed they made some minor adjustments to the lighting in the 5 months up to release. I'm telling you now. It's gonna take a whole lot more than improved lighting to get the game we were hoping for. I wanted new character models. We all saw that new leaked image of link, individual strands of hair, brighter tunic and cloth texturing. I think many wanted that to feature in TP HD. What we got is the same old character model with blocky hair. I guarantee that won't change.
Even so, as it stands TPHD looks worse than the fan projects. And I believe it was Lozjam's thread which showed a few different options asking what we would like. 2-4 will be out of the question now, but 1 which was designed to look more like the original still looks better than Nintendo's version. The grass blades, the texturing, the water. They all look better in a FAN project. This is an absolute disgrace.

The way I see it. The only way we will get even close to what we want is to let Nintendo know that we are not satisfied with what they showed us. By the time it releases it will be too late and all we will be able to say is 'Well I thought they would improve it...my mistake.'

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
tumblr_inline_ny6byrKAcm1sqmz2g_540.png

Reactions: Dio

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
No. WWHD barely changed from when they announced it and at least they were trying with that game. Honestly, it's more of a port than a remaster.

I'm not going to hold my breath. As I've said before, this is definitely a Final Fantasy X HD situation where everything is just touched up a bit to make it playable in HD. I bought that game twice, once for PS3 and once for PS4, just because it's my favorite game of all time and it was a massive upgrade in content because we finally got the international versions with literally tens of hours of additional gameplay.

TPHD will not look much better than what we've already seen. The one saving grace, hopefully, is that it takes a page from FFXHD's book and adds in tons of new material. Alas, however, this is Nintendo, and I believe we'll be lucky to just get a "Hero Mode" that consists of enemies merely doing double damage or something. I would love to be proven wrong and blown away though - can you imagine things like a boss rush mode, or maybe an entirely new super dungeon on top of the Cave of Ordeals?

To be honest, I find a game looks tons better on the actual console as opposed to looking at a screenshot or a YouTube Video. However will TPHD look noticeably better then it is now? I don't believe it will be, but you never know. Then again I don't think there is anything bad about the visuals as they are now.

HeroOfTermina

Obsessively checking this forum since 2015
If there are any, it will be minimal. 4 months isn't enough to implement what we want from a Twilight Princess HD remake's graphics.

To be honest, I find a game looks tons better on the actual console as opposed to looking at a screenshot or a YouTube Video. However will TPHD look noticeably better then it is now? I don't believe it will be, but you never know. Then again I don't think there is anything bad about the visuals as they are now.

i agree with you here... it's hard to accurately judge the full capability from a screenshot or a youtube video. heck, i only just got an hd tv a couple of months ago and realized what an hd nintendo game really looked like.
i'm truly no expert but when i first played tp on gamecube in 05 i was blown away by how good it looked... almost to the point of like "how did they work such magic on such a little disc?" to me it graphically looked a generation ahead of its time...
that being said, it's only been 10 years since. how much better can we really expect it to look honestly? i'm not a huge graphics-whore but i still think it's too soon for this remake. am i excited for it? yes. but i personally think they should have spent more time on it and waited until the nx.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
With WWHD the art style aged exceptionally well, so it looked great in the HD re-release where the lighting was the most significant change. Twilight Princess on the other hand, released when there was limited developer understanding of the console hardware, and went for a realistic art style and a big skybox, using little enough resources to release that same game on the GameCube. The problem here is that for the first year it was out, it looked splendid, but as titles released that were better able to utilize 7th gen's hardware (Halo 3, Reach, etc.), TP aged increasingly worse. Some movement looks extremely clunky (Epona, for instance, looks really wobbly when she runs), a lot of the game's lighting and textures look as dull and bland as Halo 2, all but 6 Character Bipeds look severely deformed, and I could make an entire thread alone dedicated to how cheap and low quality the Music and sound effects seem.

In this era of near Saturation of remastered games, Twilight Princess is foremost in being one that sorely needs a complete visual and sonic overhaul. It's a fantastic overall game, but touching up the lighting and upgrading it to 1080p/60 FPS isn't going to cut it, and you may as well get the standard Wii version for $20 for the exact same experience.

Unfortunately at this point, I feel they're going to leave the textures and whatnot as is. Why else would they release footage of the game in a trailer for a Re-release if they weren't planning on releasing it in that state?

Why else would they release footage of the game in a trailer for a Re-release if they weren't planning on releasing it in that state?
You never know. The E3 SFZ footage was pretty low quality textures and 3D models. The Nintendo direct SFZ video though had much improved textures and models. My point is Nintendo showd what they had at the time and in a couple of monthis the game could look a whole lot better.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
You never know. The E3 SFZ footage was pretty low quality textures and 3D models. The Nintendo direct SFZ video though had much improved textures and models. My point is Nintendo showd what they had at the time and in a couple of monthis the game could look a whole lot better.

SFZ still looks like a game from 08 though. Its not very promising.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Honestly, TP was a Gen 6 title. Remember, the Wii version is just a port. TP HD feels more like a Gen 7 title than a Gen 8.

I'll never understand why it didn't get the same treatment as OoT, MM, and tWW, but it really boggles me that they couldn't even improve the lighting. I mean...that's the minimum I could ask for and the fact that it's so unchanged gives me little hope for gameplay changes.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I doubt that this late they could reboot the graphics are anything, so I'd just expect small upgrades, nothing really big. Basically I imagine it looking like a Gen 7 title like most people are agreeing on.
They could do a ton with lighting....
Especially considering the huge difference lighting made in Star Fox Zero, which was only done in about 4 months of extra development.....
Furthermore, Wind Waker HD was only done in about 6 months overall so... I don't think it's impossible.
The question is not whether or not they can do it... It is whether or not they want to put effort into it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom