• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will BotW/TotK Dungeons Reappear Again in Echoes of Wisdom?

As you can read it in the title, this thread is about the question whether we see dungeons or not.
Nintendo posted the new trailer of EoW and whilst this game looks truly fun to play with, it's sus that we didn't see a single thing about dungeons...

Furthermore, if dungeons reappear, will the dungeons be completely oriented with the BotW/TotK ones? You know, with the terminals/isolated puzzle structure which can be solved in any order? I loved progression in traditional Zelda dungeons, so I personally wouldn't like if the 2D title uses the same new dungeon formular but this isn't just about my opinion, so I'm gonna ask if y'all would like playing these kind of dungeons?

If it's in the form of the Lightning Temple, with keys to give some real progression at least, I wouldn't say no to it. The TotK dungeons were better than the BotW ones but I feel like they were quite halfassed, at least the Water Temple, Construct Factory and the Wind Temple, and needed more complex design. But they definitely had great potential and at least the dungeons had good theme.

So I hope EoW combines modern dungeons with traditional ones even more. If it works with shrines, I don't see why dungeons should be less restrictive for progressive issues. Yet again, if EoW has dungeons in the first place.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
What are you talking about? We've seen several dungeons in the trailers. Notably, that's clearly where we see Tri give Zelda the Bind ability, and we see a few entrances to them scattered in the overworld throughout the footage.

Whether they function like they did in the Wild era games is still up in the air, but even if they did, I'm for it. All of the TotK dungeons were great and had fun puzzles and atmosphere. But considering the map is heavily inspired by the ALttP layout, it's probably a fair guess that they'll be more linear. We know there's sidescrolling sections in them, at least.

What are you talking about? We've seen several dungeons in the trailers. Notably, that's clearly where we see Tri give Zelda the Bind ability, and we see a few entrances to them scattered in the overworld throughout the footage.
Wait, when???
You are sure, they weren't just caves or "mini dungeons"?

But hey, if they were dungeons, I'm all in for it.
Whether they function like they did in the Wild era games is still up in the air, but even if they did, I'm for it.
The cheese factor was way too much in the majority of these dungeons which I didn't enjoy at all. The Fire Temple would be a great dungeon if... you cannot just nearly skip 90% of the core mechanism in the dungeon, with the cart puzzles.
Like I said, even the shrines had more restrictions and many of their puzzles had levels which build upon the more you progressed through a shrine.

In the BotW/TotK dungeons, you had few puzzles, each very isolated, and unlike the more traditional dungeons, there is no real progression of difficulty when it comes to similar dungeons since the Zelda team doesn't know what kinda puzzle the player will finish first or finish last.

Also, like I said, I don't dislike the approach to solve puzzles in your own way but what happened in the Fire Temple, Wind Temple and especially the Water Temple (quite frankly, the Water Temple even looks bad in comparison to the Divine Beasts while the Fire Temple suffers from the cheese factor. Wind Temple gets excused due to it being the first dungeon) is just lazy design tbh. It's not creative if you can easily skip the majority of those puzzles. That's my issue with these in the first place.

Or design the larger dungeons similarly to the shrines with keys. I think they would be more enjoyable for all fans, new and traditional fans. Well, that's rather a topic for the next 3D title I guess.
But considering the map is heavily inspired by the ALttP layout, it's probably a fair guess that they'll be more linear. We know there's sidescrolling sections in them, at least.
I agree with this one btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom