• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WiiU HD Zelda - E3 2011

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
I know I keep posting in this thread....but I found some interesting new info!

Take a look at what Miyamoto has recently said concerning Zelda on the Wii U:

Miyamoto said:
"This is an HD system, our first HD system, and we want to create a real HD Zelda game for it. You will see a lot of these in-depth and deep experiences in terms of visual style. You will also see some play styles that are fun and interesting because of the play structure. We are not planning on putting any restrictions in terms of requiring developers to leverage HD in a particular ways. Even if you are using a simplier visual style it will still look very beautiful."

[Soure Link]

While this isn't confirmation that Wii U Zelda will be just like the tech demo, I think it means we'll be looking at something equally impressive. I shall be looking forward to this~ :nod:

Blackbaldrik

Sage of Gaming
hm, this brings up the possible cance of Skyward Sword possibly coming out for the Wii U (which is just about the most uncreative name for another console i've ever heard, even less creative than the Super Nintendo) cause when the Wii was coming out they announced TP and that ended up coming out on both the Wii and Gamecube, so i could dfinately see the same thing happening with Skyward Sword

Unless Skyward Sword is delayed for an entire year or more they will not make it for both Wii and WiiU, even more reason that this will not happen is the WiiU is back compatable and can use the Wiimote. Why would they make two of a game, one compatable with both Wii and WiiU, and one only compatable with WiiU. There is no reason to do this because both versions would use the exact same controls.

(Wow, alot of people posted on this thread before I finished typing this one)

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Tech demo or not - that's not the most interesting question for me. Sure, there's a possibility of this ending up as some sort of "Spaceworld 2.0", but I highly doubt that it will.
I mean, we've had three successive cel-shaded Zelda games in a row now (PH, ST, SS) and WW hasn't been that long ago either. Plus odds are that a "Zelda 3DS" will be a cartoony game in the tradition of its predecessors too.
So I highly doubt that they'll make *yet another* cel-shaded game. If they did then honestly I'd be very disappointed! Leave the cel-shading to the handhelds, they are powerful enough nowadays to handle it easily, plus it helps a lot with low resolution issues, IMO on 480p WW looks much smoother and less pixelated than TP.
I'm actually anticipating Zelda HD much more than Skyward Sword (of course I'll still buy it), not just because of the graphics, but because I have some worries that the gameplay in SS will be rather on the "gimmicky side" with all the motion control stuff (I'm expecting quite some focus on minigames à la Wii Sports Resort) while the Wii U seems to cater more to the "classic" (or "hardcore") gamer so I hope that Zelda HD will focus more on actual, intense gameplay.

And it being a sequel to TP - why not? For all those who have worries that a sequel would restrict the developers too much in their freedom or that the story of TP is "closed" in itself - just two words: Majora's Mask. A perfect example of a sequel that felt nothing like a sequel at all - totally different world, heavily changed gameplay (except for the general controls), little connection to the story of OoT - and despite being overshadowed by its predecessor it still turned out as an absolutely excellent game on its own.
Personally I'd rather like a sequel for once than yet another prequel of a prequel (SS) of a prequel (OoT) of a prequel (aLttP) of a prequel (LoZ).

Tech demo or not - that's not the most interesting question for me. Sure, there's a possibility of this ending up as some sort of "Spaceworld 2.0", but I highly doubt that it will.
I mean, we've had three successive cel-shaded Zelda games in a row now (PH, ST, SS) and WW hasn't been that long ago either. Plus odds are that a "Zelda 3DS" will be a cartoony game in the tradition of its predecessors too.
So I highly doubt that they'll make *yet another* cel-shaded game. If they did then honestly I'd be very disappointed! Leave the cel-shading to the handhelds, they are powerful enough nowadays to handle it easily, plus it helps a lot with low resolution issues, IMO on 480p WW looks much smoother and less pixelated than TP.
I'm actually anticipating Zelda HD much more than Skyward Sword (of course I'll still buy it), not just because of the graphics, but because I have some worries that the gameplay in SS will be rather on the "gimmicky side" with all the motion control stuff (I'm expecting quite some focus on minigames à la Wii Sports Resort) while the Wii U seems to cater more to the "classic" (or "hardcore") gamer so I hope that Zelda HD will focus more on actual, intense gameplay.

And it being a sequel to TP - why not? For all those who have worries that a sequel would restrict the developers too much in their freedom or that the story of TP is "closed" in itself - just two words: Majora's Mask. A perfect example of a sequel that felt nothing like a sequel at all - totally different world, heavily changed gameplay (except for the general controls), little connection to the story of OoT - and despite being overshadowed by its predecessor it still turned out as an absolutely excellent game on its own.
Personally I'd rather like a sequel for once than yet another prequel of a prequel (SS) of a prequel (OoT) of a prequel (aLttP) of a prequel (LoZ).

I understand your point of view, and I agree for the most part, but I doubt Zelda HD will look like the tech demo at E3.

In my opinion, the graphics of the tech demo weren't as impressive as people said they were. They were impressive, but most of that can be attributed to the fact that they are based on the graphics of Twilight Princess (which made SpaceWorld's look like crap IMO). Really all they did was improve the textures and lighting effects of Twilight Princess, and it worked out wonderfully.

However, I think Zelda HD will introduce a completely new, and more realistic (maybe) graphical style. The Wii U seems to be capable of much more than the Zelda tech demo that was shown at E3 (watch the tweety bird demo below, click 720p) and I think Zelda HD will take advantage of the Wii U's capabilities more than the tech demo did.
[video=youtube;Wi5ga3mYp0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi5ga3mYp0c&hd=1[/video]

Just a side note. Did anyone notice that SpaceWorld's demo seemed to have enhanced Ocarina of Time graphics while E3 2001's demo had enhanced Twilight Princess graphics?

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Oh yes, I'm fully aware of the fact that this tech demo uses nowhere near the full power of the WiiU! From looking at it I conclude that it's basically just Twilight Princess models upscaled (Dolphin can do that too) with some minor extra effects added. It will of course look much better than that! Despite that I think that this was some sort of "direction giver" for what the game will aim at.
But I really hope it won't take them until 2017 or so for the game! Development time doesn't necessarily correlate with quality, for example two of my favourite Zelda games took less than 2 (MM) vs 7 (OoT) years, that's two extremes. On the other hand I think that TP was "polished" too much (i.e. they made it too easy in order to please even the last casual gamer), there's a lot of beta stuff they should've left in, like the real Gohma and especially the magic meter. I really hope the latter one will return in Zelda WiiU!

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
A WiiU Zelda game has recently been confirmed, but there's no way it's this. I mean, they basically just finished Skyward Sword, so how would they be on the game-play already? Especially with this just being Twilight Princess. The game will be HD, though! =D

Garo

Boy Wonder
I'm hoping we get an artistic style in the same vein as Twilight Princess. I like the cel-shading, but I also liked the darker turn that Twilight Princess took, and cel-shaded graphics - even when added to a more realistic look like we're getting in Skyward Sword - sort of kill that dark atmosphere. I won't call it "cartoony", because that's a bit too far, but it just isn't suited for the brooding nature of Twilight Princess and other similarly dark Zelda titles.

Call me crazy but I would love a really realistic darker Zelda with different aesthetics then Twilight Princess staring young teen Link, like a 14 yr old Link, we've had him young, we've had him old, but not in between. I just think it`d be different and it could be very realistic but still keeping a big of lightheartedness because the protagonist is younger. And I`m 20, so it has nothing to do with my age, I just think it`d be a cool take`and turn out really well.

Blackbaldrik

Sage of Gaming
Call me crazy but I would love a really realistic darker Zelda with different aesthetics then Twilight Princess staring young teen Link, like a 14 yr old Link, we've had him young, we've had him old, but not in between. I just think it`d be different and it could be very realistic but still keeping a big of lightheartedness because the protagonist is younger. And I`m 20, so it has nothing to do with my age, I just think it`d be a cool take`and turn out really well.
Actually, in OoT adult link is only a teenager, when he's a kid he is like 10 or younger, and he's only kept in the Sacred Realm for 7 years.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
I think the Wii U will be great, if you can use more then one controller. They also need to make a good online mode.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Now I'm wondering when this new game will come out. Skyward Sword has apparently been in development since 2006, and it's coming out at the end of 2011.

I probably won't be able to sleep at all once they officially announce this game at E3, if it looks anything near the tech demo they did this year. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom