• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WiiU Error 160-4711, need some help to fix it

ECP3Kea.jpg

I jsut received this error for the first time today. it is very repeatable. Anytime I use the USB hard drive with my WiiU - to see what's on the hard drive or when I play a game with hard drive data, the WiiU crashes and displays the following info.

The hard drive is a USB2.0 1TB one with an external power source. It has it's own power cable. It's not drawing it's power from the WiiU. I have read that a Y-splitter cable might help but I don't see how as thsi external hard drive is externally (not WiiU) powered.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/10/wii-u-error-160-4711-workaround-fix-discovered/
These people reckon a Y-splitter cable is needed. But I don't see how it would be needed if it's not being powered by the WiiU.

Is it worth purchasing a Y-Splitter cable to try this from somewhere like amazon? And just wait the 2 or more weeks it'll take to come to Australia or is there another solution to this?

I could try copy/pasting the info off the hard drive on my computer then putting the data back on there after reformatting the HDD's data but it might by a risk and I could lose the data.

I used the Nintendo US error lookup for 160-4711 and it said:"
Error Code: 160-4711
If you are receiving this error code, please contact us at 1-800-255-3700. Specially trained representatives will be available to assist you, 6:00am - 7:00pm (PST), seven days a week.
I guess I'll have to look up An Australian number to see what Nintendo ANZ say about this.
Phone: (03) 9730 9822, Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm (EST).
That's gonna be one expensive phone call, calling Victoria and be on the phone for hours but I guess I'll just have to do it.

Any help would be muchly appreciated on this issue.

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
As far as I know, drives that are formatted for use with the Wii U cannot be read by computers, so it is not possible to back up the data that way.

If getting a Y-cable is a possible solution, you have nothing to lose by trying that. Do you have to purchase it online or is this a local electronic shop you can go to? Best of luck getting this problem sorted.

As far as I know, drives that are formatted for use with the Wii U cannot be read by computers, so it is not possible to back up the data that way.

If getting a Y-cable is a possible solution, you have nothing to lose by trying that. Do you have to purchase it online or is this a local electronic shop you can go to? Best of luck getting this problem sorted.
Thanks.
I'll call up Nintendo tomorrow and see what they say. Also I've already asked the locak stores and none stock them so online it is unfortunately.
I will let you know here what Nintendo say so others know what to do if they have the same issue.

It seems my hard drive works for most things except accessing it through the menu to move data around and accessing XCX data to play it. This really hurts as I am just not in the mood to replay 100 hours of XCX again.

The Nintendo rep when I called him up said basically the drive is dead and have to redownload everything. This I can handle for everything except for XCX and that is the thing I am having issues with.

Right now I am redownloadingvthe10gb of patches to the WiiU SSD. Then I will see if that changes anything. If not I will but a new external HDD when I can afford it. And one day restart XCX when I can handle redoing it all over again.

I will say if I have to restart XCX all over again I can see myself doing that anytime soon.

I am pretty disappointed about this.

Triforce King

Pathfinder for life
It seems my hard drive works for most things except accessing it through the menu to move data around and accessing XCX data to play it. This really hurts as I am just not in the mood to replay 100 hours of XCX again.

The Nintendo rep when I called him up said basically the drive is dead and have to redownload everything. This I can handle for everything except for XCX and that is the thing I am having issues with.

Right now I am redownloadingvthe10gb of patches to the WiiU SSD. Then I will see if that changes anything. If not I will but a new external HDD when I can afford it. And one day restart XCX when I can handle redoing it all over again.

I will say if I have to restart XCX all over again I can see myself doing that anytime soon.

I am pretty disappointed about this.
I'm sorry you have to go through this man:(.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Could you not just keep the data on your computer until you can afford another external hard drive? Afterwards. you should be able to move the data on to the new drive and start back up where you left off. At least, in theory that sounds feasible.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Could you not just keep the data on your computer until you can afford another external hard drive? Afterwards. you should be able to move the data on to the new drive and start back up where you left off. At least, in theory that sounds feasible.

This sounds like the best idea, unless there is some issue that would prevent this.

I also offer my condolences. This is a terrible thing to happen after you've spent so much time on the game. One of my friends actually had this happen to him as well. Not this exact issue, but his external HDD died, and he had to re-download everything. Including X. And he was level 53, so he was pretty devastated.

But he told me he was actually having fun redoing the game now that he knew what he wanted to do. So it may not be as bad as you think. Best of luck.

I'm sorry you have to go through this man:(.
Thanks mate. I'll try to get through it.

I wish I could. WiiU data is designed not to be read by a PC, you have to format the drive first. I've tried to clone the drive but my PC willn ot read it at all, just will not recognise it at all. So I can't clone or copy the data to the PC. So yeah not much luck there unfortunately.

This sounds like the best idea, unless there is some issue that would prevent this.

I also offer my condolences. This is a terrible thing to happen after you've spent so much time on the game. One of my friends actually had this happen to him as well. Not this exact issue, but his external HDD died, and he had to re-download everything. Including X. And he was level 53, so he was pretty devastated.

But he told me he was actually having fun redoing the game now that he knew what he wanted to do. So it may not be as bad as you think. Best of luck.
Yeah there's that issue of my PC just not reading the data at all. I guess I get to start all over again in XCX. Sucks but at least I know what I'm doing now. So that's something.
It should be fun enough I guess. When I can handle redoing it all again. This time I'll get another hard drive and hope it does not fail on me.

I am redownloading everything and only for the time being after I reformat it will reuse the external HDD but I'll only put on there data I am ok with losing. my XCX data and other such data will stay on the WiiU itself. A lot of save data to lose. But **** happens ya?

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I am redownloading everything and only for the time being after I reformat it will reuse the external HDD but I'll only put on there data I am ok with losing. my XCX data and other such data will stay on the WiiU itself. A lot of save data to lose. But **** happens ya?

So there's no way to hook up two external HDDs to the Wii U at once and transfer the files that way?

So there's no way to hook up two external HDDs to the Wii U at once and transfer the files that way?
According to this it might have been added in:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/la...general_info&submenu=wup-external-usb-storage
[qyote]
  1. How many USB storage devices can I use with a single Wii U?
  • When downloading software or playing a game saved to an external storage device, you can only use one USB storage device with the Wii U console at a time. Multiple USB storage devices can be used one at a time to store your downloadable Wii U content, but the Wii U needs to be turned off to reconnect a USB storage device. "Hot Swapping" is not supported at this time.
  • In the future, we plan to add a function that will make it possible to connect multiple storage media to move or copy content.[/quote]
I just need to find out if that future has happened already. But it might not work if the WiiU can't read the corrupted WiiU data. But I guess I could try it.

But I did find this as well.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/72947527
The option for the second is only for easy transfer from one drive to the other. It wasn't originally there, I believe, but added in one of the system updates.
I will try this with a USB stick I have to see if I can get the data accross ok. Might not work if the XCX data is too corrupted but worth a shot.

The TLDR of this is I have kept the same hard drive but I've put on it everything I am ok with loosing when the hard drive fails again. All my important data is re downloaded to the WiiU itself. All of my new XCX data is on the WiiU's internal SSD. I guess you could copy all the data over to a 2nd HDD so you don't have to re-download everything. I guess you could do this every day to backup your saves but that'd be really annoying to do. An automated way to do this is so needed by Nintendo. A mirrored raid set up in essence, so both drives are mirrored. All data created is put on both drives. So when one fails you have the other.

I did lose all my save data from many games. But I'll get over that and start from scratch again. It'll be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom